Diners for the NEC / NER trains?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You could can't book the long-distance trains from Philadelphia to Washington, but you can from Philadelphia to Alexandria. Is that a long enough trip?
Years ago, I would book space from NYP to ALX on the Crescent or the "Silver" trains and simply get off in WAS. The rail fare was the same. This 'secret' enabled me to enjoy much roomier (and reserved), seating, less 'hubbub' of passengers on and off (stopped only to receive), use of diner and lounge cars, etc. The only downside was the train took about a half-hour longer than the corridor trains to make the trip due to longer station dwell times.

Someone closer to BG can verify or refute, but I have heard that there are two Heritage Diners that were out of service that are slated to be brought back together with the Viewliner prototype to create the 3 car pool to return Diner service the LSL. As I said just a rumor and I have not yet found a way to get this one verified by anyone that I trust.
I've heard that as well. So had a few employees on the LSL in August.

Speaking of which, why does MN still run with the bar cars on a couple of its trains?
Because the influential passengers on the New Haven line demand it. I'm not sure if the cars actually make any money, much less cover expenses, but the political power is there to keep them on the road.

I'm not sure however what will happen to them once the new M8 cars come online. First, I'm not sure if the older cars will be compatable with the new cars. But even if they are, there is the issue that these bars cars are all over 40 years old and keeping them on the road will just get more expensive with each passing year.

I'm not sure however what will happen to them once the new M8 cars come online. First, I'm not sure if the older cars will be compatable with the new cars. But even if they are, there is the issue that these bars cars are all over 40 years old and keeping them on the road will just get more expensive with each passing year.
I have heard that the M-8 order does have some number of bar cars in them, but again, this is one that I have not been able to verify. Incidentally that bar car service will be gone the day ConnDOT stops subsidizing it. I am sure by some calculation it can be shown to be making money, but I don't believe it will stand on its own two feet if ConnDOT says they don't need it anymore.

Thought so.
Speaking of which, why does MN still run with the bar cars on a couple of its trains?
The New Haven line cars do make money, according to MTA. They make quite a bit of money, actually, if you ignore the extreme expenses of keeping the older cars on the road. They also have more revenue space than that regular coaches due to their open floor layout.

The M8s are supposed to offer bar car service on a larger number of trains then currently. With the new cars, the subsidy is supposed to be practically non-existant.

You could can't book the long-distance trains from Philadelphia to Washington, but you can from Philadelphia to Alexandria. Is that a long enough trip?
Years ago, I would book space from NYP to ALX on the Crescent or the "Silver" trains and simply get off in WAS. The rail fare was the same. This 'secret' enabled me to enjoy much roomier (and reserved), seating, less 'hubbub' of passengers on and off (stopped only to receive), use of diner and lounge cars, etc. The only downside was the train took about a half-hour longer than the corridor trains to make the trip due to longer station dwell times.
I'll be doing this exact thing the day before Thanksgiving. Heck, my wife and I are even taking a roomette. We figured that the use of the Club Acela in New York and the privacy and quiet on what's often the busiest day in the NEC is worth the extra cost. (Not that it was much more than business class on a regional.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back