Dining Car Hours

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foodman53

Train Attendant
I'm going to be returning back to JAX on #92 this upcoming Friday from WPK. Since the departure time is advertised as 7:55 pm....if the train is reasonably on time, should I be able to get dinner in the diner?

Also, what is usually the "last call" time for each meal period on the "Silver Service"

Thanks

Foodman53

Looking at my manifest from a recent trip on the Silver Meteor:

Breakfast: 6:00 AM to 10:00 AM

Lunch: 11:30 AM to 2:30 PM

Dinner: 5 PM to 9 PM

So yes, if your train is relatively on time, you should be able to eat dinner in the Diner on #92 without trouble. I can't remember exactly when last call is whether when the advertised time ends or half an hour before...either way, if #92 is OT you'll probably have no trouble getting seated.

If I were you as soon as you board the train and set your stuff down head to the Diner to get a reservation for the 8:30 (?) seating.

Foodman53 said:
Also, what is usually the "last call" time for each meal period on the "Silver Service"
Thanks

Foodman53
Under normal operation as it is written in our manual and company memos;

The times Viewliner lists are the actual operating hours of food service in general on the Silver Service trains. Please note the 6:00 AM breakfast time is regarding the lounge car! The diner starts breakfast at 6:30 AM! The diner follows the other times pretty much exactly as listed as well as serves the appropriate meal for that period. The last call for each period is approximately 30 to 45 minutes prior to closure. Do not confuse this with the individual dinner time seatings! There is no last call for those unless there is a considerable amount of folks holding reservations who haven't shown up within 15 minutes of being called! Therefore breakfast last call is 9:30 AM, lunch last call is 1:30 PM, dinner last call is 8:30 PM (some LSAs will make last call for dinner right at 9PM, though).

The lounge car however, usually remains open continuously for the trip with the exception of when the LSAs take their meal breaks, bathroom breaks, etc. The lounge usually opens around FTL northbound, opens around TRE southbound. They close for service at 11:00PM (some LSAs 12:00AM) for the night, reopen at 6:00AM. At the end of the trip they close at WPB southbound, and they close at PHL northbound. Last call in each direction is about 30min prior to closure for the night, at St Lucie canal (Indiantown) before end of trip southbound, and WIL station for northbound. OBS......

Back