Dining in steerage class on the great transatlantic ocean liners

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everybody talks about the delicious gourmet food that the first class passengers ate on the liners during the Golden Age. Well, what about the steerage passengers?

I found this on the web:

1691180966909.png

Now how does this compare to flex dining? And also, note that they apparently had Pursers and stewards even for the steerage passengers.

Last edited:
In the ocean liner era, even those in 'steerage class' did not go hungry. While the quality of the ingredients and the level of service was well below the higher classes dining experience, there was no limit on quantity, and there was always a tasty choice offered....

Everybody talks about the delicious gourmet food that the first class passengers ate on the liners during the Golden Age. Well, what about the steerage passengers?

I found this on the web:

View attachment 33409

Now how does this compare to flex dining? And also, note that they apparently had Pursers and stewards even for the steerage passengers.
What caught my eye is the Supper Menu which has " Gruel" listed.

That was the peasants "go to" meal where some of my ancestors came from!

Being smoked it was easier to conserve and store.
IMHO it's also most delicious that way.

My grandparents regularly had kippers for breakfast. I think its only a relatively recent thing that tastes have changed.
Do your grandparents hail from Torquay? Heh heh...

I'll share a slightly off topic story: in the 19th Century in Western Norway, servants (household/domestic/farm labor) would have in their contracts to not be served salmon more than three times a week. Because it was the cheapest fish of the time.

Do your grandparents hail from Torquay? Heh heh...

I'll share a slightly off topic story: in the 19th Century in Western Norway, servants (household/domestic/farm labor) would have in their contracts to not be served salmon more than three times a week. Because it was the cheapest fish of the time.
The same story is found in New England, except the the cheap trash fish involved was lobster.

Back