Dining Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Engine58

Train Attendant
Is it rude or an inconvenience to the SCA to have your meals brought to your room? My wife and I enjoy meeting people in the SSL car while we are having a drink, but we are a little more private when it comes to dining.

I would tip accordingly, but I didn't know how much it would be a burden on the SCA.

Any insight is appreciated.

The SCA will bring your meals to your room when requested. You should let them know some time ahead so they can plan accordingly. You should tip them at a similar rate that you would if you were eating in the diner. 15-20% would be customary.

I think you will miss a great experience meeting new people in the diner, but each person must decide what is best for them. :)

Engine58,

It is a burden on the SCA; but it is also part of their job. So as noted, you should tip extra for that. You should also know that you meal may not be delivered at the time requested, as other things like station stops must take priority. This could also mean that your meal might not be a hot as it would be in the dining car. This option also kills refills on drinks, as the SCA cannot act like a normal waiter would in the dining car.

Part of the unique experience is dining with other passengers in the dining car. Some of the most interesting people I have met and some of the most interesting conversations have been at meals in the dining car. If you are able to, I highly recommend having some meals there! :)

Is it rude or an inconvenience to the SCA to have your meals brought to your room? My wife and I enjoy meeting people in the SSL car while we are having a drink, but we are a little more private when it comes to dining.

I would tip accordingly, but I didn't know how much it would be a burden on the SCA.

Any insight is appreciated.
After recent experience with arrogant and impulsive passengers in the Diner, I can understand. If you want to eat in your room, just remember that the tray table is not very large and please tip extra.

Thank you for the insight. On our last trip, on CONO, we ate twice in the diner and once in our room. We enjoyed our room, mostly due to privacy and our own "adult" beverages, but also because our table-mates weren't the best on conversation. When I say conversation, I mean zilch. It made my wife and I feel like we were having dinner with 2 dead people. Maybe we will try the diner again, I don't want to place to much burden on the SCA. As far as meeting interesting people, we found the lounge car after dark to be quite entertaining even if we were just people watching.

Because I big built person with a little bit of a gut, I had problems sitting in one of the dining car booths. I know me and my wife would not be comfortable in the diner, and honestly we would need to take a table for just us.

After my husband's mobility problems became worse, we had to start having our meals brought to our room on the Crescent. We tipped the attendant extra for this. There isn't much room to place your meal in the sleeper; the little table is very small. If possible, I would prefer eating in the dining car for several reasons--more space, nicer atmosphere, hotter food, drink refills, unique part of train travel, have met some pleasant and interesting passengers. If you decide to eat in the sleeper, allow the attendant plenty of time as others have posted. They have other duties that probably take precedence over delivering meals, although that is part of their job if requested. Our attendants didn't seem to mind, but my husband was obviously very mobility impaired, and we were in the accessible unit. Best wishes for a great trip!

My family says that I can "talk to a lamp post" and I agree. But on all my travels on Amtrak I can say this.I only met one single fella that looked at me like I was nuts when I tried to start a conversation. So the folks you experieced on the CONO was probably some of the few that would give you a bad vibe. Otherwise, everyone has been either fun, a blast, interesting or respectful. To each his own though! If you are in a roomette, there's little to no room for two trays of food.

RailFan,

I am similar to you, I enjoy striking up conversation with random people. I guess we just happened upon some duds. On the CONO we had a Roomette and we managed, for the TE we have a bedroom. We will try the diner again. Can anyone confirm if the Texas Eagle has a full diner or a Cross Country Cafe? According to the Amtrak site, its a full diner, but I have heard differently.

Thanks again for the input.

RailFan,

I am similar to you, I enjoy striking up conversation with random people. I guess we just happened upon some duds. On the CONO we had a Roomette and we managed, for the TE we have a bedroom. We will try the diner again. Can anyone confirm if the Texas Eagle has a full diner or a Cross Country Cafe? According to the Amtrak site, its a full diner, but I have heard differently.

Thanks again for the input.
It's got a full diner's menu but the actual car could be a diner or CCC.

It is a burden on the SCA; but it is also part of their job. So as noted, you should tip extra for that. You should also know that you meal may not be delivered at the time requested, as other things like station stops must take priority. This could also mean that your meal might not be a hot as it would be in the dining car. This option also kills refills on drinks, as the SCA cannot act like a normal waiter would in the dining car.
I've never had my meals delivered to my room, but it's something I'd like to try in the future.

If I understand correctly here are the basics...

+ Requires tip of 15%-20%

+ Must be requested in advance

+ Timing of delivery may be off

+Temperature may be cold

+ No refills

Other than those differences is there anything else I (as an able-bodied passenger) should know before trying this myself?

Just out of curiosity, is there also a way to order meals at a seat in coach for a fee or tip?

I've never had my meals delivered to my room, but it's something I'd like to try in the future.

If I understand correctly here are the basics...

+ Requires tip of 15%-20%

+ Must be requested in advance

+ Timing of delivery may be off

+Temperature may be cold

+ No refills

Other than those differences is there anything else I (as an able-bodied passenger) should know before trying this myself?
Don't order ice cream for desert unless you're a fast eater or like puddles. :lol:

Also, if you get a good attendant you'll have no worries. Get a bad attendant, expect some resentment & attitude for making them work harder when you are clearly an able-bodied person.

Just out of curiosity, is there also a way to order meals at a seat in coach for a fee or tip?
I'm not sure if the coach attendants are required to serve able-bodied passengers, but they are are required to bring meals to seniors and those with special needs. Again, a good attendant would probably have no issues even with an able-bodied person; but all bets are off with a marginal or bad attendant.

Coach pax can also walk to the dining car on their own and order a take out meal.

Texas Sunset:

I know the EB and the CS have what Amtrak calls "Enhanced" coach service. In the timetables it says coach passengers can get "at-seat meal service if requested."

Not sure about other routes.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on what you're referring to as the TE. If you mean the daily TE between CHI and SAS, it has a CCC. If you mean the Tri-weekly TE between CHI and LAX, it has a CCC between CHI and SAS and a full Dining Car between SAS and LAX when it's combined with the SL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Texas Sunset- I don't know how advanced it needs to be, when we took lunch in our room, we just ordered when she came to take a reservation, she also brought us 2 pops each which was nice.

Traveler- thanks, we are just going between CHI and DAL.

... , but also because our table-mates weren't the best on conversation. When I say conversation, I mean zilch. It made my wife and I feel like we were having dinner with 2 dead people.
I never really take such personally. Yea, having dinner with someone who likes to tell some really interesting stories can be the best. But you can't always have such. Sometimes, you are seated with people who are shy, or private, or aren't comfortable talking with strangers. We just make the best of it. It doesn't stop us from eating our next meal in the dining car; who knows what the next people will be like?

... , but also because our table-mates weren't the best on conversation. When I say conversation, I mean zilch. It made my wife and I feel like we were having dinner with 2 dead people.
I never really take such personally. Yea, having dinner with someone who likes to tell some really interesting stories can be the best. But you can't always have such. Sometimes, you are seated with people who are shy, or private, or aren't comfortable talking with strangers. We just make the best of it. It doesn't stop us from eating our next meal in the dining car; who knows what the next people will be like?
Sometimes they don't just keep to themselves. Sometimes they're arrogant and rant all over the place.

Several weeks ago on the SL/TE (2230/2130 sleeper) we had the attendant bring us our meals as the 5-car walk to the diner on the SL was a bit much for the wife. They provided this no problem and they were tipped accordingly at the end of the trip. On the TE portion of the trip, we went to the diner. As far as diner conversation goes, I'm not one to engage in conversation but, if the other party initiates a conversation, I will respond although I won't do much to maintain the conversation. That's just me in ANY environment.

I just asked my CS TA and he said that the dining car was for sit down only and they will not do to go and only passengers on the lower level in coach can get at seat meal service. train is over sold. dining car and waiting list are full. if I need food go to the lounge car. end of story. I checked and both the schedule and website as well as the route guide state at-seat meal service is available in coach on this route. So what's the word?

In a sleeper there has never been any problems getting a meal delivered to the room. Just be patient and all will be well :)

I was just asking to clarify and he seemed to be very quick to clarify he does not deliver meals!

I just asked my CS TA and he said that the dining car was for sit down only and they will not do to go and only passengers on the lower level in coach can get at seat meal service. train is over sold. dining car and waiting list are full. if I need food go to the lounge car. end of story. I checked and both the schedule and website as well as the route guide state at-seat meal service is available in coach on this route. So what's the word?
If your coach attendant is not cooperative and you have no mobility issues, then go to the diner yourself and ask. Diners are all supplied with "to-go" boxes and meals can be ordered this way, although if the crew is extremely busy it's possible that they would not be able or willing to grant your request. Also, in many cases the diner crew will be able to accommodate you at a table if there is a no-show or if you come to "last call". It never hurts to ask. Personally, I would be inclined to write a respectful letter of complaint to Amtrak customer service about your coach attendant's attitude.

For a person, like me, traveling alone, meals in the dining car are a total crapshoot. But if you accept that, all will be fine in the end, epsecially on a multi day trip. I've been seated next to someone who insisted on telling everyone bout flying saucers -- the off button didn't exist, or at leat I couldn't find it. I explained to the crew that this guy was a little over the edge, and they were careful to spread him across the rest of the pax. Everybody got to enjoy one sitting with him, but not two. I've also been seated (on the Cardinal) opposite to two senior ladies with no teeth, who just talked to each other for the whole meal. Again, the crew was careful to give me a different perspective on life at the next meal

At the other extreme, on the Cap Lim it was just me and a lovely older lady whose husband worked his whole life for PRR management. Amazing stories.

My favorites are when 2 or even 4 tables all start talking with each other, especially if folks are swapping rr war stories.

The bigegst problem for me is when someone aggressively pushes polltics (or especially non-fact-based opinions) that I disagree with. If you want to take the person on and try ro educate him/her. more power to you. But don't be shy about leaving the table early and heading back to your sleeper. People have always seemed quite willing to stand up and let me get by them.

Good luck and good cheer.

I myself don't mind using the lounge for this trip. I was just asking as I recalled this thread to get an answer. Didn't mention asking a policy. Just asked if it was possible to go to the diner or order at seat since the diner was full as was the waiting list. I do understand he probably felt overworked as each TA had two full coach cars both up as down. He was a bit dismissive but I was more asking out of curiosity.

Usually I am able to get a seat on the waiting list or last call so I'm not worried. I usually opt for a lounge dinner as the prices are lower. But if the dining car has space ill try for that again.

I should add I'm not being particular as the asst. conductor never lifted my ticket and I already received an email with an e-voucher. I mentioned it to him but he said oh well, it's your lucky day and proceeded to talk trains with a passenger he was sitting next to in coach.

While it may be too late now, if you have a Timetable handy you can pull it out and point to your TA in the upper right corner where it explicitly states "Enhanced coach service, with at-seat meal service if requested."

We are both still on board but meal service just ended. Delayed about 50 minutes just south of Paso Robles due to a UP work train. We were on time before that. I am going to send in an inquiry as I am now curious. Tensions have been high today as seating and space has been slim. Those only going 1-2 stops have been sent to sit in the lounge car due to lack of seats.

I know this thread was originally about dining in a sleeper but they do brand it as "enhanced coach" as AlanB said. Sorry to say on my trip South yesterday my salad bowl was china but my meal dish was plastic as well as my dessert plate. Drinks were in plastic cups. Dining car was too full today and no last call was made so I can't comment on if this train is also back to the plastics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back