Dinner last night

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Amtrak would like to bring back COB's, but they clearly want it to be a non-union position and IMHO it needs to be as it puts too much peer pressure on the COB if they are also union members. And the ruling requires that any COB be a union member. So we get no COB on the trains. :(
Any way this can be over turned? They gotta show the union that their members are hurting Amtrak.

I think that Amtrak would like to bring back COB's, but they clearly want it to be a non-union position and IMHO it needs to be as it puts too much peer pressure on the COB if they are also union members. And the ruling requires that any COB be a union member. So we get no COB on the trains. :(
Any way this can be over turned? They gotta show the union that their members are hurting Amtrak.
Aloha

Yes give the COB the ability to "hire and fire". When a dept head has this responsibility they become "Management" and are bared from being part of the Bargaining Unit" Of course along with this responsibility come the liability for their actions.

Alright, how should I go about this? Like I said, it's the third time I've encountered that locked door, and I've sworn up and down that I'm going to file a report before but sort of backed off. However, at this point this is obviously a bad practice that needs to be curbed (rather than a wacky outlier). As to the diner situation, that's also getting under my skin because I expect to be on that train on a regular basis for the foreseeable future: It buffers one end of an Acela points run, it's the last train out of DC in the evening, it's how I get down to Florida (at least once per year), and it's almost always the last leg on an LD trip for me. I'm not going to lie: I'm on 97/98 at least 20 times per year at this point, so it does have a substantial impact on my time on Amtrak.
I'd suggest keeping a bit of a log; nothing what train & date, if possible the conductor's names, how long the door was kept locked, etc. Personally I'd then send that list, preferably at least 5 to 10 instances, to Amtrak VP Emmett Fremaux. While it might seem odd to send it to the VP for Marketing & Product Management, I suggest this for two reasons.

One, Product Management is indeed what services are provided to the customer. Not being able to get to those services is a product management problem. Second, Emmett is very big on getting the cafe cars open immediately upon departure from a station. If the LSA on a Regional or an Acela can reopen the cafe within 10 minutes of being restocked in NYP, then there is no excuse for an LSA on a LD needing a half an hour or more to reopen after leaving DC. And the need to collect tickets is also NOT a reason to reopen the cafe upon departure from DC.

Emmett knows that Amtrak isn't making any money if the cafe isn't open or accessible to coach passengers, not to mention the diner, and this is a major pet peeve of his. He's the guy that fixed this problem on the NEC. Prior to Emmett taking the lead, it was no uncommon to find a cafe attendant opening up shortly before reaching Baltimore, closing down at Trenton for NYP, and then reopening at Stamford or even later, only to close again at Providence. That no longer happens on the NEC and Emmett has been working to fix all other trains ever since.

So he will be quite upset to learn that this is happening on the Silvers, regardless of whether it's the fault of the cafe attendant or the conductor. And he has the power to get this fixed!
Ok. I'm going to keep that log, starting with this time (even though I lack the conductor's name, payroll records should bear that out pretty easily) and including the last few times. I should have 5-10 times within the next few months. I can actually reverse-generate a log going back to early September for the SB Meteor. As of right now, I've got two super-late openings (14:38 and approx. 20 mins), and two quick openings (one was due to a late departure...there, they even held the cafe open a bit longer than I think they usually do to ensure that those boarding in WAS and ALX had enough time to settle in and get to the cafe if they so desired). The fifth time, I was in a roomette from NYP and got an early dinner.

I've got at least two upcoming trips, probably three, over the next month. One is in a sleeper out of WAS (I picked WAS instead of RVR to ensure that I got dinner southbound), but I may try to step through and check the cafe door all the same. The other thing that I can note (since I'm usually one of the first to the door to wait) is that the LSA is almost always ready to go (from what I can tell; most of the time they're behind the counter, and the rest of the time they're at a table next to the counter waiting) as they leave ALX.

Here's an idea...any AU member who experiences the cafe car not being open for unreasonably long periods, or LSA's refusing to serve coach passengers in the diner during a trip, make a note of the particulars and write Emmett Fremaux at Amtrak. If this is truly an issue, and Mr. Fremaux becomes aware of it, hopefully action can be taken and the problem addressed. If nothing else, if the LSA's, conducters and cafe attendants know that someone is reporting their lazy behavior, the problem could hopefully be reduced.

Also, any AU members that work for Amtrak, I would love to hear their take on this issue.

Here's an idea...any AU member who experiences the cafe car not being open for unreasonably long periods, or LSA's refusing to serve coach passengers in the diner during a trip, make a note of the particulars and write Emmett Fremaux at Amtrak. If this is truly an issue, and Mr. Fremaux becomes aware of it, hopefully action can be taken and the problem addressed. If nothing else, if the LSA's, conducters and cafe attendants know that someone is reporting their lazy behavior, the problem could hopefully be reduced.

Also, any AU members that work for Amtrak, I would love to hear their take on this issue.
Speaking as an employee, I concur completely. Also it has been my experience that the issue is "usually" caused by the Cdr. wanting to check all the tickets and thus closes off the food service area to control the flow of people...quite often w/o the knowledge of the LSA's...

EB_OBS If you're out there. Does the OBS Supervisor have the authority to over ride a LSA's decision to selectively seat coach diners away from sleeper diners or make up their own diner rules.

NAVYBLUE
Absolutely. In any organization, most rules and policies are written down somewhere. In Amtrak's case it's the blue book or Standards Manual as many on AU are aware.

The conductor is ultimately responsible for everything that occurs on the train including ensuring that OBS employees are one, doing their job and two following the rules and working safely. If an LSA were refusing to feed any passenger for lack of a VERY good reason then the conductor or an OBS supervisor would be expected to correct the situation.

As to seating it's standard procedure that sleeping car passengers are given preference and first choice of seating times. In regards to seating passengers upon arrival into the diner, It's typically first come first seated in no particular order other than to fill up each table and to equally disperse the tables among the servers. There is no reason to specifically seat coach and sleeper passengers separately or in a different manner.

I would be forever grateful if by some miracle AMTRAK could find the funding to return the position of Chief of Onboard Services to all LD trains. It is precisely the lack of a non-union supervisory person on board the train that allows OBS crews to make their own rules, treat customers rudely, and contribute to AMTRAK's reputation of poor customer service.
Actually, The Chief of OBS positions were union positions, and the quality of their work was as varied as the rest of the crew. That being said, if you had a "good" chief with a lousy crew, at least it had some impact, both on the crew and in passenger relations on board. An "unmotivated" chief, with a lousy crew, usually hid in his room the whole trip...

Moderator edit: added end-quote code
Yes, the former COB positions were union. AMTRAK needs to return a COB to the train and they need to be a non-union person in a management position. It just amazes me that a LD train that for all intents and purposes acts as a rolling hotel has no "General Manager" to take care of guest/customer concerns and to ensure top performance by the OBS staff.
The problem is that the Union won a ruling that requires any OBS position to be staffed by a union member. And as already noted, some COB's were quite effective in dealing with their brethren and keeping them in line, while other's couldn't be found except when they went to the diner to partake of their own meals. I hit a few of both types in my travels over the years.

Amtrak prevents OBS supervisors and on-board Operations or Product line supervisors from initiating discipline. An onboard Chief, working with a bad crew, can only be as effective as his train manager supports him or her to be. If you are constantly working with, correcting, training and reporting a bad employee only to have no repercussions or discipline enacted on said employee, then what do you do? I suppose even the best OBS supervisor would eventually become just as complacent about said employee and say "whatever, I tried" and give up. In the old program there indeed were good Chiefs and bad Chiefs, but there were also good train managers and bad train managers.

Additionally, it's my understanding that the Dispute Resolution Board questioned Amtrak as to why it does not allow for union supervisors, Chiefs, to initiate discipline. There is nothing in the contracts that says it can't be so. Amtrak trains it's managers in conflict resolution as well as the legal processes which the company and an employee go through during investigation and discipline. All Amtrak union supervisors attend the exact same training yet cannot initiate discipline or be a charging officer for an investigation. This is Amtrak's policy, not the unions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak prevents OBS supervisors and on-board Operations or Product line supervisors from initiating discipline. An onboard Chief, working with a bad crew, can only be as effective as his train manager supports him or her to be. If you are constantly working with, correcting, training and reporting a bad employee only to have no repercussions or discipline enacted on said employee, then what do you do? I suppose even the best OBS supervisor would eventually become just as complacent about said employee and say "whatever, I tried" and give up.
Yup, I agree, that without any repercussions, even the best would eventually just give up.

In the old program there indeed were good Chiefs and bad Chiefs, but there were also good train managers and bad train managers.
Which is pretty much how anything tends to be. It doesn't matter what job, industry, or anything else, there are those who will try to do their best and there are those who don't.

Like I said, back with the old COB, I hit both. Probably the best was on the old Silver Palm. I was boarding in Hialeah, which at that time was having its platform redone to then rapidly growing Tri-Rail. Because of that, the platform was considerably shorter than normal, requiring a double spot. Once for me in the sleeper, and then a second for the coaches. Only the normal conductor was apparently sick and an assistant was apparently bumped up, or so I was told.

The train rolled in and you could see the engineer creeping along waiting for the conductor to stop him and I'm running down the platform chasing my sleeper until I could go no further. Then I had to race back to the now only open coach. In the Florida heat, I wasn't a happy camper. I then had to walk through 2 coaches, cafe, & diner to reach my sleeper still carrying all my luggage.

Within 5 minutes of departure, along came the COB to apologize for the mishap. He told me that they had even rehearsed the double spot in the yard, but then apparently the conductor just forgot. I'm not sure how he twisted the arm of the conductor, but he did and he got the conductor to come by my room to apologize too!

Later than night when the COB saw me in the diner, he comped my bottle of wine for me. Not sure how they handled that in the inventory, or if he just took the money out of his pocket to pay for it, but it was a very nice gesture on his part. And it made me a very happy camper! :)

I wish that I could remember his name and I wonder if he still works for Amtrak in some capacity, but alas I've never seen him again. I did catch him as we left the train in NYP however to thank him for his efforts.

I would be forever grateful if by some miracle AMTRAK could find the funding to return the position of Chief of Onboard Services to all LD trains. It is precisely the lack of a non-union supervisory person on board the train that allows OBS crews to make their own rules, treat customers rudely, and contribute to AMTRAK's reputation of poor customer service.
Actually, The Chief of OBS positions were union positions, and the quality of their work was as varied as the rest of the crew. That being said, if you had a "good" chief with a lousy crew, at least it had some impact, both on the crew and in passenger relations on board. An "unmotivated" chief, with a lousy crew, usually hid in his room the whole trip...

Yes, the former COB positions were union. AMTRAK needs to return a COB to the train and they need to be a non-union person in a management position. It just amazes me that a LD train that for all intents and purposes acts as a rolling hotel has no "General Manager" to take care of guest/customer concerns and to ensure top performance by the OBS staff.
The problem is that the Union won a ruling that requires any OBS position to be staffed by a union member. And as already noted, some COB's were quite effective in dealing with their brethren and keeping them in line, while other's couldn't be found except when they went to the diner to partake of their own meals. I hit a few of both types in my travels over the years.

Amtrak prevents OBS supervisors and on-board Operations or Product line supervisors from initiating discipline. An onboard Chief, working with a bad crew, can only be as effective as his train manager supports him or her to be. If you are constantly working with, correcting, training and reporting a bad employee only to have no repercussions or discipline enacted on said employee, then what do you do? I suppose even the best OBS supervisor would eventually become just as complacent about said employee and say "whatever, I tried" and give up. In the old program there indeed were good Chiefs and bad Chiefs, but there were also good train managers and bad train managers.

Additionally, it's my understanding that the Dispute Resolution Board questioned Amtrak as to why it does not allow for union supervisors, Chiefs, to initiate discipline. There is nothing in the contracts that says it can't be so. Amtrak trains it's managers in conflict resolution as well as the legal processes which the company and an employee go through during investigation and discipline. All Amtrak union supervisors attend the exact same training yet cannot initiate discipline or be a charging officer for an investigation. This is Amtrak's policy, not the unions.

At the risk of "preaching to the choir" then why doesnt AMTRAK management work to overturn arcane work rules and institute proven methods of customer service excellence? If a heavily unioniozed company like Southwest Airlines with more employees in a single base that AMTRAK has system wide can foster a culture of a "Warrior Spirit and a Servant's Heart" why cant AMTRAK? Please dont give me the old line about its hands tied by Union contracts, or Congress, or budgets, or other excuses. They can be overcome if management leads their teams.

In 1997 the Providence Health System, also another heavily regulated, heavily dependant in federal dollars and heavily unionized organization, with roughly 5 times the number of employees as AMTRAK, and spread throughout 10 western states and 3 Canadian provinces underwent a "Culture Change" Embraced from the top down. They focused on the CUSTOMER... the patient, the resident. Management decided to listen to what they wanted, not what a physician or state regulator or auditor wanted. This culture change was lead by dedicated leaders who knew that by putting the customer first, everyone would win. Some long term employees were left "on the station platform" when this train left.. so to speak. And it was for the better.Today PHS is a world recognized leader in resident/patient directed care, and people from throughout the world come to tour their facilities and meet with management to learn how to facilitate this culture change.

It is high time AMTRAK management learn from SWA, PHS, Nordstrom, and other highly successful customer service driven companies and start making changes that may "leave someone at the station" (and PO others) but will pay massive dividends in the long run to increase support for the company (Call your Congressman & tell them to add more $$ to AMTRAK etc) instead of the "They provide a lousy service anyway just let em die" attitude we see so much of these days. This in turn leads to more funding for projects, increased ridership and happy and secure employees.

Someone needs to step up to the plate and make this type of culture change happen. I dont know who that is, but perhaps it is someone from the airline, hotel, cruise, healthcare or other hospitality industry and not another "Good Railroad Man"Its obvious that what they have been doing for 40 years hasnt been all that successful.

EB_OBS If you're out there. Does the OBS Supervisor have the authority to over ride a LSA's decision to selectively seat coach diners away from sleeper diners or make up their own diner rules.

NAVYBLUE
Absolutely. In any organization, most rules and policies are written down somewhere. In Amtrak's case it's the blue book or Standards Manual as many on AU are aware.

The conductor is ultimately responsible for everything that occurs on the train including ensuring that OBS employees are one, doing their job and two following the rules and working safely. If an LSA were refusing to feed any passenger for lack of a VERY good reason then the conductor or an OBS supervisor would be expected to correct the situation.

As to seating it's standard procedure that sleeping car passengers are given preference and first choice of seating times. In regards to seating passengers upon arrival into the diner, It's typically first come first seated in no particular order other than to fill up each table and to equally disperse the tables among the servers. There is no reason to specifically seat coach and sleeper passengers separately or in a different manner.
I will wholeheartedly concur here. However, I am strongly inclined to suggest that Amtrak needs to get the Silver conductors to get the check done more quickly since they're doing that...it can easily be begun before the train leaves WAS (the gate closing and all that...usually there's at least one car not taking on new passengers, such is the Florida-bound business from New York, Philly, etc., at peak season [when they run the fifth coach] so they could be checked before the train is in motion), and two people checking four coach (two apiece) should not take half an hour under any reasonable circumstances. Usually, there is at least a conductor and an assistant on the Meteor (I think), so this shouldn't be such a drawn-out affair as it often turns out to be.

I'll say that I've never been turned away, though I have come close because the diner was full. But that's because the diner was full, not because the LSA didn't want to seat me (and I think it should be clear that while I won't throw a tantrum on the train, I will not take being turned away while there are clearly a number of empty seats too well once I get home).

At the risk of "preaching to the choir" then why doesnt AMTRAK management work to overturn arcane work rules and institute proven methods of customer service excellence? If a heavily unioniozed company like Southwest Airlines with more employees in a single base that AMTRAK has system wide can foster a culture of a "Warrior Spirit and a Servant's Heart" why cant AMTRAK? Please dont give me the old line about its hands tied by Union contracts, or Congress, or budgets, or other excuses. They can be overcome if management leads their teams.

In 1997 the Providence Health System, also another heavily regulated, heavily dependant in federal dollars and heavily unionized organization, with roughly 5 times the number of employees as AMTRAK, and spread throughout 10 western states and 3 Canadian provinces underwent a "Culture Change" Embraced from the top down. They focused on the CUSTOMER... the patient, the resident. Management decided to listen to what they wanted, not what a physician or state regulator or auditor wanted. This culture change was lead by dedicated leaders who knew that by putting the customer first, everyone would win. Some long term employees were left "on the station platform" when this train left.. so to speak. And it was for the better.Today PHS is a world recognized leader in resident/patient directed care, and people from throughout the world come to tour their facilities and meet with management to learn how to facilitate this culture change.

It is high time AMTRAK management learn from SWA, PHS, Nordstrom, and other highly successful customer service driven companies and start making changes that may "leave someone at the station" (and PO others) but will pay massive dividends in the long run to increase support for the company (Call your Congressman & tell them to add more $$ to AMTRAK etc) instead of the "They provide a lousy service anyway just let em die" attitude we see so much of these days. This in turn leads to more funding for projects, increased ridership and happy and secure employees.

Someone needs to step up to the plate and make this type of culture change happen. I dont know who that is, but perhaps it is someone from the airline, hotel, cruise, healthcare or other hospitality industry and not another "Good Railroad Man"Its obvious that what they have been doing for 40 years hasnt been all that successful.
I have hopes that with these buyouts and subsequent job abolishments and mgemt reorganization, we can move in this direction.

IMHO, it is much more comfortable for mgemt to sit (or stand) and manage from their office rather than actually have to ride a train, especially, (in their view) a LD train. In my work on the train, I see more of Mr. Boardman and his exec. asst., Brian Gallagher, than I see of mid level mgemt. They understand that and are working to change that...again IMHO. It always amazes me when the lower level of mgemt come in and start asking questions about, problems/challenges/what can my dept. improve to help you/ etc. I always have about 5 minutes of constructive opinion in regards to my observations, challenges, etc. Amazingly enough, with the exception of the two names I previously mentioned, nobody takes notes, writes anything down, etc. They just pretend they are doing their job and are interested in making changes.....and nothing does.

SO TRUE! I knew several very good Chiefs who would just bang their heads against the wall because the (ineffective, to be polite) Train Managers would do nothing to follow up on problems or take any disciplinary action!

NAVYBLUE

Jason,

Thanks for your reply, Also your other post also about how the OBS can try their best to get things better, but after so many tries and not getting the backing of upper management, I can see where the OBS would say the hell with it, the aggravation is not worth it.

NAVYBLUE

I guess I got lucky on wife and I's first LD since 1993. On the SWC 12/11 from LAX-CHI we were lucky to get SAM (LSA) and Richard (SA) and they were great and we had coach people eating with us and their was no animosity that I could see. And on the CARDINAL 12/13 CHI-BAL we had Craig aka Cedric the Entertainer and what a hoot. Same great service for sleeper and coach people and assistance (Subway box lunches gratis) to coach people who had to buy an extra lunch due to our delay after a freight train hit the RV in Indiana. A retired freight train engineer at dinner told me Sam/Richard were one of the (2) best meal crew he has seen on AMTRAK in 20 years riding LDs.

I am writing individual PERSONAL letters of commendation for Sam, Richard, Craig and Eugene (CARDINAL) Sleeper SCA and Louisa(Philly Reservations) to AMTRAK personnel V.P. It is so easy to ***** as customers, but we need to see the good ones get rewarded with letters of praise so HOPEFULLY great LSA/SA/Sleeper SCAs get promoted and become great Conductors and OBSs. I am also writing a negative letter which will name some personnel (reservations/station personnel) who in my opinion performed below the satisfactory level. I always ask for name and employee number

We as riders are the solution or problem to making the service personnel get on the stick.

NAVYBLUE

An update, Silver Meteor-wise:

I boarded in DC and headed to dinner tonight. The door remained open as far as I can tell; I was able to walk through about five minutes before ALX. Sadly, the diner (8504) was full...it was a 40-seater, packed train, and they were a pair of tables short on space (I don't think they had the needed space for stuff in some of the storage areas), and I think something went wrong early on (they were running seatings until 9 PM and they were full).

However, the staff made a point of saying "We can offer you a takeout order", which I took advantage of (ribs and cake, as it turned out). Big points for service there, since I know some crews would have balked at that. So this goes down as a very good crew (though one of the conductors, I think she was, certainly had a cooler, very reserved attitude compared with the others...but nothing overt, just a certain feel).

I just had dinner on the City of New Orleans, and had a different experience than on the other LD trains (and by that, I'm not referring to the different type of diner used onboard). Anyway, unlike the other LD trains, they had a much smaller selection of seating times (I believe it was 5, 6:30, or 7:45). Sleepers made reservations, but they made it first-cone, first-serve for the coaches. Also, coach passengers were seated separately from sleeper passengers (as they were in the OP's case). Is this just something specific to the CONO? I was a little annoyed by the limited seating options...

Update: At breakfast I noticed they started turning away coach passengers (and not sleeper passengers) after a certain point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back