Dinner on the Corridor?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heading North

Service Attendant
A few times a year, I travel from TRE (where family is) to ALX (where I live). Sometimes it's on the Palmetto or Carolinian, other times it's just on the Regional. I noticed that for a trip I'm planning, the Crescent actually had the lowest-priced coach seats... Unusual, right?

I like the legroom on the LD trains, but the thing that would really tip the balance is dinner in the diner. With an arrival around 6:50 pm in ALX, what are the odds of getting a 5 pm reservation (I assume that's the earliest)? Is it likely that the LSA has already swept the coaches between NYP and TRE, or could I just try to show up around 5? Are the odds any better on the Meteor or do I have to worry about being locked out (wrong side of the lounge)? Just curious from those who have pulled it off before!

From what I've heard and my experience, the chances are decent, I believe. The reason is that a lot of folks don't board until after PHL, and I think they usually run through the train before then. If anything, the later dinner time tends to be "protected" because of the large number of later boarders (particularly from WAS) on those trains.

I agree, I suspect that you'd have a pretty decent chance of snagging a 5pm reservation and it's unlikely that the LSA would come through for reservations before Philly. But you can always ask to see if indeed they have done reservations and if so head up to the diner and politely ask if there is any chance of getting in.

I seem to think that they came around to do dinner reservations shortly after we left Philly back in July.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back