Dinner options on 28

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

winterskigirl

Service Attendant
I know that the eastbound Empire Builder originates in Seattle and Portland. They join up in Spokane, WA to become one consist outbound to Chicago. If I'm riding the 28 section from Portland what are my dinner options? Is there just the lounge car with snacks?

I know that the eastbound Empire Builder originates in Seattle and Portland. They join up in Spokane, WA to become one consist outbound to Chicago. If I'm riding the 28 section from Portland what are my dinner options? Is there just the lounge car with snacks?
Yes the Sightseer Lounge is on #28 from PDX-SPK (the Diner is on the #8 SEA-SPK Section!) If you are in a Sleeper your SCA will be give you a Really Tasty, Quality Box Lunch prepared by a Good Portland Restaurant! (Your choices usually include Seafood/Beef/Chicken or Veggie) If you're in Coach there are plenty of good Eating Places in Portland and you may want to Carry on some Food and Drinks for the Trip up the Columbia!

I am in a sleeper on #28 so good to know my SCA will provide a good meal. I hate the food options in the lounge. I have an hour and a half layover in Portland so I'm thinking happy hour at my favorite bar in town.

I have another question on my sleeper arrangements. Yesterday I had to change travel dates and was only able to get a roomette on the lower level :( I'm really looking forward to viewing and photographing along the Columbia. Pros/cons of lower level -vs- upper level?

The differences are the height between the levels & the upper level will have the rear "Rail Fan Window", However the lower level is much more private, has the bathroom, showers & luggage racks very close by plus you'll have the Entrance/exit door windows for taking photos from either side. I like the lower level!

One of the best Amtrak meals I have ever had was on 28 a few years ago. Cold salmon with fruit salad and a cold veggy assortment. The dessert was to kill for. They also had chicken, beef, and a non-meat selection if I remember correctly.

i-9Gs7HN6-L.jpg

The height differences between a Roomette on the lower level and upper level is none as far as standing height. (They are the same.) The only difference is the location height between the levels. As was mentioned, since the sleeper is the last car on the train, you will have the "railfan window" (the rear window in the door of the last car) in that car! But still you also have the option of the SightSeer Lounge, which will be the first car on 28 until SPK.

As far as the food, even though it is a cold boxed dinner, I consider it to be the best meal I've had on Amtrak! (And many also agree!)

I am in a sleeper on #28 so good to know my SCA will provide a good meal. I hate the food options in the lounge. I have an hour and a half layover in Portland so I'm thinking happy hour at my favorite bar in town.
I have another question on my sleeper arrangements. Yesterday I had to change travel dates and was only able to get a roomette on the lower level :( I'm really looking forward to viewing and photographing along the Columbia. Pros/cons of lower level -vs- upper level?
The sightseer lounge is really amazing, so whether you a have a upper or lower roomette, I would still recommend walking over to the Sightseer to see the scenery along this route - especially the Pacific Northwest, and the morning ride through Glacier National Park and Western Montana.

Here is why.... a bedroom,or a roomette (upper or lower) is only on one side. A wall prevents you from seeing the opposite side of the train. The sightseer is a good place to look ahead, even across the car to look out the other side, and it's also good for looking backwards, just after passing an interesting sight. It just offers much greater visibility, and improves the overall rail journey experience.

But the roomettes offer large windows too. Good for photography.

I've always been in an upper level roomette but doesn't the upper berth in a lower level roomette have a bit more room because the ceiling isn't curved?

I always make sure I have an upper level room/roomette because I tend to get motion sickness on the lower level. Yes, as many here will say, the sway of the car is less on the lower level, but what causes my stomach to become queasy is the passing of other trains. Those wheels at eyelevel passing each other at high speed sends me quickly to the rest room.

The box meals on 28 are WONDERFUL (Not so much with the ones on 27).

I also agree with others here and advise you to sit in the SSL going up the gorge.

As far as the food, even though it is a cold boxed dinner, I consider it to be the best meal I've had on Amtrak! (And many also agree!)
A cold pre-packaged meal is considered better than freshly prepared hot food?

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, because it's subjective, but it's a sad statement about Amtrak's

food services.

In February I was in room 14 on the Cap. It was very nice and something new and different, as I've always been on the upper level. The only problem I had was when we departed PGH the SCA slammed the door rather hard and I was somewhat woken up by it, but quickly fell back to sleep.

A cold pre-packaged meal is considered better than freshly prepared hot food?

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, because it's subjective, but it's a sad statement about Amtrak's

food services.
I think it's really more a statement on just how good the boxed meal is.

One other advantage IMHO to have a lower level roomette when riding in the Portland sleeper is the fact that coach passengers occasionally try to sneak into the sleeper, since there is no dining car acting as a buffer between the sleeper and the coach. The coach attendant & the sleeper attendant do try hard to keep coach pax out, but they do occasionally slip in.

And between Minneapolis & Chicago, often there is an extra coach put on the rear of the train. When that happens, there is no choice but to allow coach pax to walk through the sleeper.

So being downstairs means less traffic and less chance of some dishonest coach passenger deciding to help themselves to something you left out in your room. And please, I'm not suggesting that it happens a lot. But AFAIK, it has happened a few times over the years. I've certainly seen coach pax taking coffee, water, juice, and even the split of champagne if the attendant leaves it out from the sleeper as they pass through.

We are in Roomette 9 In Car 2830 in August. I thought this was the last car in the consist....am I wrong? Why would someone be walking through this car at the end of the train? Will there be a coach after us?

We are in Roomette 9 In Car 2830 in August. I thought this was the last car in the consist....am I wrong? Why would someone be walking through this car at the end of the train? Will there be a coach after us?
In MSP, there will be a coach car added behind your car into Chicago & the doors will be open between the two.

During the summer, there is sometimes a coach added at the rear of the train between Minneapolis and Chicago. West of MSP, the 28 sleeper will always

be the final car (not counting any private cars). The coach is added to the rear between MSP and CHI because that is the easiest place to put it without

further complicating the switching process and delaying the train any more than it already is. People riding in that coach have the right to pass through

the sleeper in order to access the diner and the lounge.

West of MSP, any coach passengers who are in the sleeper are either there as guests of sleeper pax or they are "trespassing."

During the summer, there is sometimes a coach added at the rear of the train between Minneapolis and Chicago. West of MSP, the 28 sleeper will always

be the final car (not counting any private cars). The coach is added to the rear between MSP and CHI because that is the easiest place to put it without

further complicating the switching process and delaying the train any more than it already is. People riding in that coach have the right to pass through

the sleeper in order to access the diner and the lounge.

West of MSP, any coach passengers who are in the sleeper are either there as guests of sleeper pax or they are "trespassing."
Cool........we are getting off the train in MSP.

Thanx

I prefer the lower level roomettes on Superliners. It is more private and more convenient.

I think the ability to see outside is about as good as in the upper level roomettes.

I prefer the lower level roomettes on Superliners. It is more private and more convenient.I think the ability to see outside is about as good as in the upper level roomettes.
Think you might need some of those Ben Franklin Spectacles Dick! The View from 15 Feet is always Better than from 3 Feet!(Of course some People are turned on by Rail Car Wheels and Rails, Swirches,Ditches etc. etc,) That's why Rich People Live on the Hill and the Poor live Down by and Across the Tracks! :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
In the summer the lower level is hot. Even though heat rises and cool air sinks, the constant opening of the doors at the stations doesnt give the downstairs a chance to cool off so the upstairs actually stayed cooler. This was in 100+ heat so YMMV.

In the summer the lower level is hot. Even though heat rises and cool air sinks, the constant opening of the doors at the stations doesnt give the downstairs a chance to cool off so the upstairs actually stayed cooler. This was in 100+ heat so YMMV.
I'm thinking you may have hit a car with a problem, as normally in my experience, the lower is always cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back