discounted tickets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dn4192

Service Attendant
I see when you buy tickets on line they offer a few dicounts and such like a senior dicount, AAA and such. Since you buy the tickets on line do they check your driviers lic when you board or such?

I've never been asked for ID on board...ever. Nevet been asked for a AAA card, anywhere, on board or when picking up tix. Of course, YMMV.

I too have never been asked for ID or my AAA card on board!
rolleyes.gif

It did ask for my AAA member number when I bought my tickets, and for obvious reasons I plan to have my AAA cards with us when we travel, but I'd be surprised if we get asked for them.

I'd like to toss in another question: Are we expected to sign our tickets?

Well then what stops people from just ordering the senior tickets and saving 15%?

Well then what stops people from just ordering the senior tickets and saving 15%?
I (hush-hush) had my reservation cancelled for not picking it up on time (due to a late arriving Cardinal). Thus I lost my AAA discount (because it was not 3 days in advance), so I bought at the QT a senior ticket. I had no problem.

I've been asked for my ID and AAA card both at the ticket counter and onboard. Not every time, but I've been asked several times.

Technically, you are supposed to sign any ticket bought with a credit card. I seldom do. Even when I do not, sometimes the Conductor just pulls the ticket, or (s)he gives me a pen to sign the tickets, continues to collect tickets and then returns to get my ticket and the pen!

So the answer is yes and no!
rolleyes.gif

I (hush-hush) had my reservation cancelled for not picking it up on time (due to a late arriving Cardinal). Thus I lost my AAA discount (because it was not 3 days in advance), so I bought at the QT a senior ticket. I had no problem.

I am not sure if the Indy station has a quick ticket purchase site, I was just planning on buying it on line, might have to go down and recheck the station. How far in advance can you buy from the QT location for your trip?

Interesting, I though the senior discount was subject to the same 3 day rule as AAA/NARP. Good to know when I am booking Keystones for my parents, still several decades until I can legitimately claim it.

Your chances are slim that you will have to provide proof to receive those discounts you mention based on my experience and the consensus shown so far on this thread. Only once did I have to show my AAA card to verify my eligibility. That was at the ticket counter in Fullerton, CA station to check luggage and receiving multiple tickets for a cross coubtry trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to be in the air National Guard and I used to get the military discount. I always reserve tickets online and pick them up at the quick ticket. About a year ago, when coming back from NOL on the cono, we got stuck on the bridge and missed the train. When I got to the station the lady at the ticket counter said she needed to see my ID to give me the discount. She started to walk away with my card and I told her that it was a controlled item and it couldn't leave my sight. She rudely told me to get the discount she needed to make a copy of it. When I told her no copy, the Amtrak policeman came over and very politely told her that not only could she not make a copy of the idea, it wouldn't be a good idea not to give me the discount. She wasn't very happy with him, but she did comply. I than had a very nice chat with the policeman.

In Europe it is a serious fine to cheat the train where tickets are not closely checked before or after boarding by conductors. Amtrak conductors should check more often and call the police when the cheats are caught. Anyone know if they do?

My ID had been checked on the Downeaster and the acela by the conductor when collecting tickets.

I was asked once for my AAA card when pickin up tickets at the ticket window.

Tickets brought by credit card must be signed.

Tickets purchased with cash, by voucher, or with AGR points do not require a signature.

Of course that entire policy will be changing as Amtrak moves to eTickets, as there is no place to sign for anything on an eTicket. Especially if one is displaying the eTicket on one's Smart Phone.

Your looking 25 and handing over a Senior ticket.

Yes, if you look close to senior citizen age, then you might get away with it assuming no ID check. But if caught, you can expect at a minimum to pay full price at the current bucket level. And that assumes that the conductor doesn't simply put you off the train or call the police to arrest you for theft of service.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember being asked to provide proof of AAA membership on board many years ago - not recently. Its been a few years since I've been asked to provide any type of ID on board. On the other hand, I've been asked to provide ID and credit card when picking up tickets at the station.

I was asked for my AAA card when picking up tickets in PDX and in BOS at.

I mostly booked online where they always ask you for your AAA number.

As far as signing they always make you sign your ticket. I have been made to sign a ticket when I paid with cash and my wife needed to sign her ticket when I am the one that pays. I have also seen conductors announce that all tickets must be signed and as they move through collecting tickets they made people sign.

I was asked for ID once on board.

I usually pick up tickets at the Amtrak counter in Portland, ME. I have been asked for a photo ID and credit card every time. (I do claim the senior discount).

As far as signing they always make you sign your ticket. I have been made to sign a ticket when I paid with cash and my wife needed to sign her ticket when I am the one that pays. I have also seen conductors announce that all tickets must be signed and as they move through collecting tickets they made people sign.

I paid by card, so then I guess the question becomes do I sign my daughter's ticket (since I paid by card) or does she sign (since it's her ticket)?

I paid by card, so then I guess the question becomes do I sign my daughter's ticket (since I paid by card) or does she sign (since it's her ticket)?
I signed both my daughter's and my ticket since I had paid for both. I did confirm with the conductor before signing.

Don't sign until you're on the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back