Do something useful in DC Tuesday.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

profwebs

Service Attendant
Since I'll be in DC all day Tuesday, I've been looking at cheap things to do. I was there already in June so took a tour then, but didn't go to the zoo or aquarium. The only place I really spent any time was the air and space museum.

Back on point... I was looking at Amtrak news a few minutes ago and it got me wondering if there is anything I can do worthwhile by going to the US DOT while I'm there. Anyone I can talk to about Amtrak there? Any petitions to sign? How about he FRRA? Don't know if you guys have any answers, but I thought I'd ask.

Well, Amtrak's corporate HQ is located at 60 Massachusetts Ave, which is inside Washington Union Station. I don't think you'll be able to visit Mr. Kummant, though ;)

Since I'll be in DC all day Tuesday, I've been looking at cheap things to do. I was there already in June so took a tour then, but didn't go to the zoo or aquarium. The only place I really spent any time was the air and space museum.
Back on point... I was looking at Amtrak news a few minutes ago and it got me wondering if there is anything I can do worthwhile by going to the US DOT while I'm there. Anyone I can talk to about Amtrak there? Any petitions to sign? How about he FRRA? Don't know if you guys have any answers, but I thought I'd ask.

visit your congress critters office and lobby the people who control the funding, the actual congress critters are probably on vacation their staffs do all the work anyway and they will be there. most productive thing anyone can do while in DC, I make a point annually to visit my Senators and Congressman and Amtrak is always in the conversation, not sure if I have been any influence but all three have consistently voted favorably for Amtrak bills.

Bob

visit your congress critters office and lobby the people who control the funding, the actual congress critters are probably on vacation their staffs do all the work anyway and they will be there. most productive thing anyone can do while in DC, I make a point annually to visit my Senators and Congressman and Amtrak is always in the conversation, not sure if I have been any influence but all three have consistently voted favorably for Amtrak bills.

Bob
I would second this recommendation. The more contact people have with the congressional representatives (house and senate) and the more they talk about the need to support Amtrak helps to get the attention of the people who vote for funding + you may also be able to eat in the congressional cafeteria - out tax dollars at work!

I would second this recommendation. The more contact people have with the congressional representatives (house and senate) and the more they talk about the need to support Amtrak helps to get the attention of the people who vote for funding + you may also be able to eat in the congressional cafeteria - out tax dollars at work!
Personal visit > letter or fax > telephone call > email is the general rule for "how much does your input weigh with your congresscritter". So given the opportunity for a personal visit, take it! (And of course, "personal visit" probably does mean "meeting with a recent poli-sci graduate from their state serving in a four-month internship", which may disappoint you if you were expecting to actually meet your elected officials. But the influence it will have on your elected official is basically the same.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Personal visit > letter or fax > telephone call > email is the general rule for "how much does your input weigh with your congresscritter". So given the opportunity for a personal visit, take it! (And of course, "personal visit" probably does mean "meeting with a recent poli-sci graduate from their state serving in a four-month internship", which may disappoint you if you were expecting to actually meet your elected officials. But the influence it will have on your elected official is basically the same.)
yes it is funny how everyone thinks they'll actually talk to their congress critters but over the years I have actually met in person my own, at least once we were the only two on the elevator and got the longest meeting I ever had with the real guy. however every one of them has a "Transportation issues" aide and these are the people who know his basic feelings and sum up what you are trying to tell them. Most are pretty decent folk.

one mistake first timers tend to make is "too much information" keep it simple,, keep it short, and stay on point. don't talk down to them but let them know,

1. I ride Amtrak, (especially if you use a station in their district)

2. I think Amtrak is important

3. please support Amtrak funding and support.

add your own flowery speech but unless they ask questions and they often will, 5 minutes is a lot of time, and be prepared to wait if you don't have an appointment, and often if you do have an appointement, that highway lobbiest is there bending their ear too.

But JQ public is often heard much louder than the folks that are paid to be there, because they know you are in their district and vote for them or the other guy and because you are taking your time on your own nickle to be there, you could be in the Air and Space museum having a much better time.

ALSO be warned that the cops in Union station have been hassling the folks taking pictures of trains... and they are being hassled back by ACLU and a whole bunch of others. I have a letter from Amtrak saying it is ok, will see the next time I'm there in about 2 weeks

good luck and enjoy your stopover. be sure and take a ride on metro too.

Bob

yes it is funny how everyone thinks they'll actually talk to their congress critters but over the years I have actually met in person my own, at least once we were the only two on the elevator and got the longest meeting I ever had with the real guy. however every one of them has a "Transportation issues" aide and these are the people who know his basic feelings and sum up what you are trying to tell them. Most are pretty decent folk.

one mistake first timers tend to make is "too much information" keep it simple,, keep it short, and stay on point. don't talk down to them but let them know,

1. I ride Amtrak, (especially if you use a station in their district)

2. I think Amtrak is important

3. please support Amtrak funding and support.

add your own flowery speech but unless they ask questions and they often will, 5 minutes is a lot of time, and be prepared to wait if you don't have an appointment, and often if you do have an appointement, that highway lobbiest is there bending their ear too.

But JQ public is often heard much louder than the folks that are paid to be there, because they know you are in their district and vote for them or the other guy and because you are taking your time on your own nickle to be there, you could be in the Air and Space museum having a much better time.

ALSO be warned that the cops in Union station have been hassling the folks taking pictures of trains... and they are being hassled back by ACLU and a whole bunch of others. I have a letter from Amtrak saying it is ok, will see the next time I'm there in about 2 weeks

Bob
Doesn't look like I need to go see Arlen Specter, he's pushing hard already.

Amtrak plays an integral role in the future of passenger transportation. To assist Amtrak with its capital and operating costs, I helped appropriate $1.3 billion to Amtrak in Fiscal Year 2006. To ensure the stability and solvency of Amtrak, during the 109th Congress I also cosponsored S. 1516, the "Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act of 2005," which would authorize $11.4 billion for Amtrak through Fiscal Year 2011. While Amtrak's fiscal needs are significant, I believe we would be severely disadvantaged without a national passenger rail system.
My vision for the 21st century includes high-speed magnetic levitation (maglev) trains capable of traveling at speeds of more than 300 mph from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh, with an estimated time of under two hours and stops in Harrisburg, Lancaster, Altoona, Johnstown, and Greensburg. Such a system will greatly improve travel within the Commonwealth and provide tremendous economic opportunities throughout Pennsylvania and the nation. Currently I am working to establish a 54-mile demonstration project in the Pittsburgh region which is competing for Federal funding to become the first maglev system constructed in the United States.
Maglev in pitt would be awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob
Aloha

I had heard other stories about Police harassing Photographers but in July I found the opposite. Mostly no one said anything, and my cameras (Video and still) are more than point and shoot. and I wanted do video the OTOL group train depart the station. I was asked by an officer what I was doing, and when I explained he showed me a much better place to to see the train leave. He even watched for my Sister to come up to the top level with her car ant let me know she was there around a corner. The only thing wrong about this location was sun glare and My sister being in a rush to get back to her house, It was the second time she picked me up at the station and hadn't had breakfast that morning. A number of my picture are in my photo galleries. Here are two of them.

358478753_SmkV3-S.jpg
346709568_dZ2Qc-S.jpg

There are others and I will be adding more. So feel free to enjoy.

Bob
Aloha

I had heard other stories about Police harassing Photographers but in July I found the opposite. Mostly no one said anything, and my cameras (Video and still) are more than point and shoot. and I wanted do video the OTOL group train depart the station. I was asked by an officer what I was doing, and when I explained he showed me a much better place to to see the train leave. He even watched for my Sister to come up to the top level with her car ant let me know she was there around a corner. The only thing wrong about this location was sun glare and My sister being in a rush to get back to her house, It was the second time she picked me up at the station and hadn't had breakfast that morning. A number of my picture are in my photo galleries. Here are two of them.

358478753_SmkV3-S.jpg
346709568_dZ2Qc-S.jpg

Yeah I read a bit about the harassment of photographers going on in WUS, but I didn't have any issues in June, however I only took photos of the main hall. I'm hoping to get some shots of Club Acela while I'm there - if I'm allowed ;)

Adding to my post above I have printed out the article where I pulled Arlen specters quote from to give to Phil English, my Congressman. And I have also printed out this article to give to both him and Specter. (or their transport aides)

I'd like to visit the zoo maybe and the native american museum also, which will get me on the metro. Maybe if I don't eat breakfast on the meteor, I can try to catch the buffet I heard about in the Dirkson senate office cafeteria. Hopefully, I'll have a little time to enjoy Club Acela while I'm there other than the benefit of boarding the cap without waiting at the gate.

Bob
Aloha

358478753_SmkV3-S.jpg
346709568_dZ2Qc-S.jpg

Yeah I read a bit about the harassment of photographers going on in WUS, but I didn't have any issues in June, however I only took photos of the main hall. I'm hoping to get some shots of Club Acela while I'm there - if I'm allowed ;)

Adding to my post above I have printed out the article where I pulled Arlen specters quote from to give to Phil English, my Congressman. And I have also printed out this article to give to both him and Specter. (or their transport aides)

I'd like to visit the zoo maybe and the native american museum also, which will get me on the metro. Maybe if I don't eat breakfast on the meteor, I can try to catch the buffet I heard about in the Dirkson senate office cafeteria. Hopefully, I'll have a little time to enjoy Club Acela while I'm there other than the benefit of boarding the cap without waiting at the gate.

one tip, the Cleveland Park metro stop is closer to the zoo than the Zoo metro stop, and it is downhill too.

Bob

While I would certainly never guarantee anything regarding Amtrak, the security guards who patrol Union Station and are the group that has been hassling photographers, don't routinely come into the Club Acela. So most likely you shouldn't have any problems, unless someone in the lounge objects to be photographed.

I've never spoken personally to one of my Reps or Senators about anything or for that matter any elected official in the US. But not only have I spoken to a Canadian Member of Parliament, he personally called me. And I mean personally, there was no secretary on the line when I said hello, who then handed me off to the MP. I said hello and the MP was on the other end of the line.

I was actually at my chiropractor’s office when that call came into my cell phone. He was busy taking my blood pressure at the time and I think that he nearly had a heart attack when he saw my blood pressure soar through the roof because I was talking to the Canadian equivalent of a Chuck Schumer. Mind you I was almost beside myself too.

I've never spoken personally to one of my Reps or Senators about anything or for that matter any elected official in the US. But not only have I spoken to a Canadian Member of Parliament, he personally called me. And I mean personally, there was no secretary on the line when I said hello, who then handed me off to the MP. I said hello and the MP was on the other end of the line.

I was actually at my chiropractor’s office when that call came into my cell phone. He was busy taking my blood pressure at the time and I think that he nearly had a heart attack when he saw my blood pressure soar through the roof because I was talking to the Canadian equivalent of a Chuck Schumer. Mind you I was almost beside myself too.
Well I'm sitting in Acela right now and as I got off the meteor I walked the length of the train taking pics. Also got pics of them switching motive power. Took a couple more pics from the platform and not a problem. Trying to decide what to do with the day while I suck in my 2nd cup of coffee. Was some interesting things last night, will work on the log later :)

Did you talk about trains?

Did you talk about trains?
Sadly, no. We were talking about something far more serious, my expulsion from Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back