Do they ever add trains or cars?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The train appears to be sold out from Rochester NY to Worcester MA on November 30 (the Sunday after Thanksgiving). Is there any hope of seats opening up? Thanks!!!

I'd say it's very unlikely to happen. That weekend is the busiest weekend of the year for Amtrak and they put every piece of equipment capable of running into service on that weekend. They actually rent commuter equipment from MARC and New Jersey Transit, just to try to accomodate everyone. They try not to put anything in the shop that doesn't absolutely need to be there, either by law or because major things need repair.

So if you don't have a seat right now, you're probably out of luck.

What you might try, although it'll be longer and far more round about, is to catch an earlier train to NY City. Then go from there to Boston, before catching a commuter train to Worcester.

The train appears to be sold out from Rochester NY to Worcester MA on November 30 (the Sunday after Thanksgiving). Is there any hope of seats opening up? Thanks!!!
maybe, Amtrak grabs as much equipment that can be made to roll and borrow and will often add cars and trains.

but don't count on it,

and you may also end up riding 5 accross in a comuter car too.

best bet is to keep calling back..

Bob

maybe, Amtrak grabs as much equipment that can be made to roll and borrow and will often add cars and trains.

but don't count on it,

and you may also end up riding 5 accross in a comuter car too.

best bet is to keep calling back..

Bob
Your answer is probably the best that can be given... keep calling back!

Over 10 years ago when I had a problem getting back from the west coast I was advised by Amtrak to try calling each day to see if there were any cancellations. I was also informed the time of day that they updated their reservation system and any expiring non paid reservations freed up.

I don't know if this still hold true today but maybe another can key in on this or you can try calling to check and while checking ask if they can tell you when the update occurs if it still does. If they don't know, then I doubt the agents been their very long and I'd suggest that you ask for customer service to see if they can give you an answer!

If you're planning to get someone to give you a ride from the Worcester station to wherever you're really going and they're willing to pick you up in either Springfield or Albany instead, that might turn out to be a lot less roundabout than going all the way to New York City and then going all the way to downtown Boston to get to Worcester.

If you're planning to get someone to give you a ride from the Worcester station to wherever you're really going and they're willing to pick you up in either Springfield or Albany instead, that might turn out to be a lot less roundabout than going all the way to New York City and then going all the way to downtown Boston to get to Worcester.
I'd say Albany has more of a chance. With a choice of any Empire Service train, plus the LSL and ML. Between Albany and Springfield is only the LSL - unless you want to go to NYP first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back