Does the Tx Eagle love me?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wmk

Train Attendant
I have ridden the eagle three times.Round trip last year Houston (thruway) to St.Louis and this year Chicago toHouston (7/30) and we were on time or early all the way.What are the odds of that? :giggle: The bus waseven 30 minutes early into Houston......Last year the superliners were worn and tired but this year I was seated in the lower level of a recent wreck rebuild,almost like new.But what is with the aweful blue nightlights?Upon leaving STL the conductor checked on us and turned off the lights and put on the night lites.He asked if we wanted them.We all agreed we didnt need those bright lights as plenty light came from the vestibule,so since it wasnt quite dark outside I was able to get glimpses of the Mississippi river.That doesnt happen often southbound. But the Eagle could sure use a full baggage car or a second coach/baggage.At Longview the conductor was crawling over baggage and plenty more was dragged on board.The rebuild has another baggage bin next to the restrooms,it was full as well as the ones by the stairs and the bins in the lower level room were full as was the wheel chair space. I saw the funniest thing at STL.....A guy had a large amount of stuff tied in a blanket and carried it on his back and they let him on.His pack would cover half the vestibule.Thankfully he wasnt on our car.An unusal feature of this rebuild is the restroom area is differnt.There is a handicap restroom with a large sliding door,the new baggage bin,a dressing room (?)(same size as a restroom but with a seat over toilet) but no lounge or family room.More plastic,less s tainless steel in restrooms.Maybe when this hot summer is over the western LD trains will again run on time,but then again that will happen when Texas gets a good rain.Not looking for either to happen any time soon...........If anybody is riding the Eagle and needs to arrive on time....and with my good luck,buy me a ticket,and I will get you there on time :giggle: :giggle:

Well, wish me luck. I'm scheduled to ride the Texas Eagle to San Antonio, Sept 4. Switching to Sunset Limit to Los Angeles. I hope the Eagle is on time, because I've made hotel reservations in San Antonio for the night. Unfortunately, I am on the wrong Eagle - I could have slept the night on the train, but I got my numbers wrong. :eek:hboy:

Well, wish me luck. I'm scheduled to ride the Texas Eagle to San Antonio, Sept 4. Switching to Sunset Limit to Los Angeles. I hope the Eagle is on time, because I've made hotel reservations in San Antonio for the night. Unfortunately, I am on the wrong Eagle - I could have slept the night on the train, but I got my numbers wrong. :eek:hboy:
The Sunset Ltd. normally doesnt leave SAS for LAX until 5:40AM after arriving around 2-3AM in the morning! The Eagles have had poor OTP lately for several reasons! (Heat/Leaving CHI Late/freight/Track work etc.)Im not sure where you are staying but the Amtrak crews stay in the Staybridge Suites right beside the Station, and there is an Excellent Best Western Sunset Across from the Station on Commerce, as well as a Holiday Inn Express in the opposite direction fairly close to the Station! The Station is only open at night and gets crowded, but if you have a Sleeper shouldnt be a problem! This Train has been getting very Popular, SOLD OUt/High Bucket etc. Taxis are available on call in the Station, be sure and get a ride lined up the night you arrive as not much is happening in San Antonio @ 5AM when you need to be back @ the Station to board #1!!!

Keep checking with Amtrak, theres a possibility a Room on #421 will open up and you could stay on the Train for the night! Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sunset Ltd. normally doesnt leave SAS for LAX until 5:40AM after arriving around 2-3AM in the morning! The Eagles have had poor OTP lately for several reasons! (Heat/Leaving CHI Late/freight/Track work etc.)Im not sure where you are staying but the Amtrak crews stay in the Staybridge Suites right beside the Station, and there is an Excellent Best Western Sunset Across from the Station on Commerce, as well as a Holiday Inn Express in the opposite direction fairly close to the Station! The Station is only open at night and gets crowded, but if you have a Sleeper shouldnt be a problem! This Train has been getting very Popular, SOLD OUt/High Bucket etc. Taxis are available on call in the Station, be sure and get a ride lined up the night you arrive as not much is happening in San Antonio @ 5AM when you need to be back @ the Station to board #1!!!

Keep checking with Amtrak, theres a possibility a Room on #421 will open up and you could stay on the Train for the night! Good luck!
Repair my memory Jim (if that's possible :lol: ) but won't reservations take a waiting list?

You are correct sir about a wait list! (Its not 5PM yet!) Still wont hurt for the OP to check themselves, as you know there have been a few,er many, instances where Amtrak "forgot" to call! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back