Dog growled at the conductor!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to the OP.......It is my belief that the conductor was right for removing the dog from the train. Anyone disagree?
The only way I wouldn't is if the dog was just making a pleasant groan. My collie (may he rest in peace :( ) made this groaning sound when he "settled in" or was getting petted just the way he liked, which to the uninitiated might easily sound like a growl. Now, I don't know if a trained service animal would still make this sound, but I would assume it would since that's not a behavior I could see wanting suppressed. But given that the person didn't even offer that as an excuse, I don't think a "pleasant groan" is the case here so in absence of other facts, I will have to agree.

I was playing with Samson, a mixed Husky/Chow just this evening & heard him make some of those groaning sounds that sounds a lot like a growl. I know Samson pretty well, and I know he was just curious about some perfectly harmless activity in the neighborhood. I think I noticed it because we'd been discussing the subject here. When I heard him make that sound, I wondered how many strangers might mistake that noise for a hostile growl. That would be a real shame, but an understandable conclusion for a stranger to draw.

The subject of a pet car has been discussed a lot over the years, and I have no crystal ball to tell what's going to be done in the future. My most serious misgivings have to do with the inability of Amtrak to be certain that a dog is adequately disciplined and free of disease, fleas, etc. It's not the pet that I distrust. No dog has ever lied to me. But passengers can be a different story, and I'm not sure how Official Amtrak would deal with the need to frequently fumigate the pet car, deal with sewage, etc. The liability for bites, etc. could help to keep lawyers from unemployment.

I'd like to see some provisions made for pets, but there are practical issues that would need to be addresssed

I don't want a pet car on LD trains. I want the ability to take my dog on a three hour ride down the NEC.

Something to think about:

Consider the service disruption if an Acela train set had to be pulled out of service for a day or two (on short notice) so it could be fumigated for fleas.

There may be a simple solution here, but I don't know what that simple solution might be.

Consider the service disruption if an Acela train set had to be pulled out of service for a day or two (on short notice) so it could be fumigated for fleas.

There may be a simple solution here, but I don't know what that simple solution might be.
I am just seeking a simple, logical solution and I think that the test that they are doing in the midwest is a good step. Again, thousands of people travel with their pets each day in the cabin of an airplane and you don't hear about planes being pulled from service to be fumigated for fleas. Generally, I'm also going to assume that the demographic of someone who is traveling with their pet on an acela - presumably in a carrier - means that their pet doesn't have fleas.

But I can see that it's a concern. I just don't think it's that big of one.

Given the situation in so many hotels in the northeast, even reputable ones, I am surprised they don't already have to do it for the humans riding on them and bringing the critters on from their last stay in a classy hotel :)

Given the situation in so many hotels in the northeast, even reputable ones, I am surprised they don't already have to do it for the humans riding on them and bringing the critters on from their last stay in a classy hotel :)
VERY TRUE!!!! And its not just fleas...more like a two worded other critter that is harder to get rid of.....

I have a suggestion. How about a separate private train regulated by government for pet owners. Pet owners would pay by distance for the train if they didn't want to take their own car on a trip. These would be special, high-speed trains much faster than Amtrak that would insure protection against bites and pet dander on others others by not allowing non-pet-owners in the same car. We could give them a unique name - taxis.

VERY TRUE!!!! And its not just fleas...more like a two worded other critter that is harder to get rid of.....
You mean - "bed bugs" or "crab lice" :wacko:

The dying cockroach in my expensive LA hotel bathroom?

We are all more or less dirty creatures with various parasites.

I ride the train, sleep in hotel rooms sometimes - and never worry about the bugs - except for food service persons who don't wash their hands - like Typhoid Mary or such.

It's a great, great world, and full of parasites.

Don't worry, be happy!

We are all more or less dirty creatures with various parasites.
Luckily most of these parasites are either relatively benign or held in symbiotic equilibrium by your immune system. Ever heard of Demodex? I'll never forget the day I learned about those little worm shaped mites that live in the follicles of our eyelids. It's a crazy world we live in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pit bulls are NOT attack dogs, period, any more than any other terrier, such as a West Highland White Terrier, a Scottish Terrier, or a Stafford Terrier, the breed from which the Pit must directly derives.

Any reasonably intelligent dog of size can be a vicious attack dog- German Shepard, Labrador Retrievers, and especially Full size Poodles. If that's how you train it and raise it, it will attack, and fight to the death, anyone that either you direct it to, or who attacks you.

A pit is a very strong dog and reasonably large and heavy. If trained to, or if it's master is in grave danger, it is a very effective fighter. But that does not reflect upon the personality of the dog. Pits are FRIENDLY.

And to further argue along a different line, personalities dog to dog (any dog) vary far more than personalities breed to breed.

To single out specific breeds as unsuitable for pets is one thing. To do so without knowing much about the dog is entirely different. Pits were indeed designed to fight other dogs- a distinct flaw in their personalities because they are indeed vicious killers of other dogs. But they were also designed to be easy for their masters to handle- and generally pits are more submissive to humans than a wide variety of other breeds.

Far too many good pits get destroyed- killed- because of ignoramuses like you, DA. Far to many really nasty, awful dogs get saved simply because they are small and cute because of the same ignorance. Far too many dogs go through life with nasty balance problems because people think docking their tails is cute. Far too many go through life hacking and wheezing, unable to breath properly because people think pug noses are cute.

Frankly most dog owners shouldn't own a dog. They don't know how to care for them. They don't know how to train them. They don't even know how to feed them- god knows why a basically carnivorous creature is largely fed corn. They rarely know how to control them.

But it's usually not the dogs fault. It's the imbecile that owns them. Pits, in the hand of the right owner (not the jackasses who own them because of their reputation, and tend to turn out abused animals who live up to said reputation) are a wonderful dog. One of the better companion dogs, and a good dog for people with kids especially.

Articles that talk about vicious pits usually also talk about their equally vicious owners. Find an article about vicious pits that come from loving families. And then, when you find their aren't any, start blaming the guilty- the owner.
Well stated!

Back on topic, we don't let disabled people self-certify to park in disabled parking spots. To get reduced fare on the bus, persons with disabilities have to show an ID card obtained with a doctor's certification. Thanks to abuse of the system, you have to prove that you are deaf before you can use one of the "IP Relay" TDD systems. Due to the impacts other persons with poorly behaved service animals, there needs to be some sort of certification required for the passenger with a service animal. Most of the people who are posing their dogs as service animals would think twice if they had to forge a doctor's note.

I can post images of leopards and cheetahs looking cute and cuddly. I could also post images of babies and guns. The internet is full of that kind of crap. Nobody in their right mind would consider such images a relevant data point when it comes to inherent safety. It's unfortunate that your post was allowed to remain even after counter posts were removed. Makes it seem like the forum itself is intentionally sanctioning specific views and/or posters.

I can post images of leopards and cheetahs looking cute and cuddly. I could also post images of babies and guns. The internet is full of that kind of crap. Nobody in their right mind would consider such images a relevant data point when it comes to inherent safety. It's unfortunate that your post was allowed to remain even after counter posts were removed. Makes it seem like the forum itself is intentionally sanctioning specific views and/or posters.
The topic is pit bulls. I posted pictures of pit bulls that echoed GML's comment. I don't see how that's off-topic.

Also, I never plugged it as a scientific study or a data point. That's why I shared the link without commentary. Had I wanted to use it as a data point, I would have added commentary and then used the link to back up my point.

Your "teachers' pet" argument is a weak insult. I have had PLENTY of my posts changed and/or removed.

Back on topic, we don't let disabled people self-certify to park in disabled parking spots. To get reduced fare on the bus, persons with disabilities have to show an ID card obtained with a doctor's certification. Thanks to abuse of the system, you have to prove that you are deaf before you can use one of the "IP Relay" TDD systems. Due to the impacts other persons with poorly behaved service animals, there needs to be some sort of certification required for the passenger with a service animal. Most of the people who are posing their dogs as service animals would think twice if they had to forge a doctor's note.
I agree. I think Amtrak's take on it "What service is the animal trained to provide?" should be the objective. The disability need not be asked (violates ADA) but the animal should be required to have a certificate from a certified agency with the animal's name, description and certification as a service animal. To get such a certificate, the owner would need to have a form signed by their doctor certifying need and by a vet certifying ownership and listing training.

The animal's certificate should be available on request.

I refrained from commenting on those pictures but they truly weren't necessary and would only cause the thread to go more off the rails. Those needed a trigger warning.

Silly me! I thought the topic was "Dog Growled At Conductor" and whether or not the conductor did the correct thing in removing the offending animal and it's owner. Now we are told the topic is pit bulls.

Maybe the mods ought to change the thread's title?

I agree. I think Amtrak's take on it "What service is the animal trained to provide?" should be the objective. The disability need not be asked (violates ADA) but the animal should be required to have a certificate from a certified agency with the animal's name, description and certification as a service animal. To get such a certificate, the owner would need to have a form signed by their doctor certifying need and by a vet certifying ownership and listing training.

The animal's certificate should be available on request.
Aloha

I have had several discussions with some experts on service dogs. What I find disturbing is there is no standard on what id a service Animal should have. Secondly if one does an Internet search you will find a number of companies that issue phony IDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back