Dog growled at the conductor!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Other disability "credentials" such as parking placards are issued by the states. The ADA has minimum standards for disability but states are allowed to be more lenient, and some are. California, where I live, requires a doctor's (or certain other medical professionals) signature one time only, for the first placard. Now and then someone says the cure for placard abuse is to require re-certification on a repeating basis. Those of us who have placards argue, why should we be penalized? We believe first the state should try enforcing what they've got. We believe burdening people with legitimate disabilities should be a last option, not the first one.

The same issues apply to fake service dogs. Professionally trained dogs are expensive and there are not enough trainers to satisfy demand, that is why people need to be able to train their own. Any standard test would not be appropriate for all dogs because they are trained for so many different disabilities. About the only things that are required of all service dogs are basic good citizenship such as no aggressive behavior and house-broken. After that, some guide, some pull wheelchairs and fetch out of reach items, some react to low blood sugar, some react to impending seizures, etc. Licensing or testing service dogs just doesn't make sense because of the impossibility of standardization.

The idea of certifying that the user has a disability makes some sense but figuring what bureaucracy is going to handle it is not so simple. Even defining disability in a way that makes it easy to make decisions is problematic. For parking, the issue is, does this person need special parking for some reason, either close-in or a wide spot. Many people are in the protected ADA class but do not qualify for a placard, at least in California. I can't imagine what the rules would be for a service dog. Just what boxes are going to be offered to the doctor to check? Remember medical professionals are not lawyers and have no idea of the fine points of, "What is a qualifying disability?" "What is a service animal?" and "What specific task would a service animal perform that would reduce or eliminate the effect of the disability this person has?"

Asking a vet to certify what training an animal has had is also problematic. First, my my vet has no business knowing my medical history. In addition, my vet does not have security in place to protect my medical info. (HIPPA does not apply to my pets!) In addition, I don't know about other vets, but mine wouldn't certify any training unless he knew the trainer personally.

Any paperwork that does not have to go through a centralized clearinghouse and that is accessible to anyone who has to enforce these rules (conductor, grocer, restaurant manager, etc) is just going to encourage a fraud-based economy, like has developed for parking placards. In my opinion, one quality of a "good" law is being easily enforceable, and certifying either service animals or their human users doesn't pass yet.

So we muddle along with a bunch of cheating. I think Amtrak has it right, punish the behavior. It is a real shame that we live in a culture where cheating of all sorts is acceptable, where some people make a risk/benefit calculation and decide it is okay to cheat because they probably won't get caught and the penalty is tolerable.

People cheat on this rule because the blanket prohibition on transporting pets is (rightly) seen as unreasonable.

In general, cheating is considered acceptable when the rule being broken is considered unreasonable. (This is sort of Social Behavior 101 stuff.)

This is why it's so important to have rules which the vast majority consider reasonable. *Then*, other people won't tolerate cheating. It's a vital thing to remember when designing social rules.

Back on topic, we don't let disabled people self-certify to park in disabled parking spots. To get reduced fare on the bus, persons with disabilities have to show an ID card obtained with a doctor's certification. Thanks to abuse of the system, you have to prove that you are deaf before you can use one of the "IP Relay" TDD systems. Due to the impacts other persons with poorly behaved service animals, there needs to be some sort of certification required for the passenger with a service animal. Most of the people who are posing their dogs as service animals would think twice if they had to forge a doctor's note.
I agree. I think Amtrak's take on it "What service is the animal trained to provide?" should be the objective. The disability need not be asked (violates ADA) but the animal should be required to have a certificate from a certified agency with the animal's name, description and certification as a service animal. To get such a certificate, the owner would need to have a form signed by their doctor certifying need and by a vet certifying ownership and listing training.

The animal's certificate should be available on request.
Aloha

I have had several discussions with some experts on service dogs. What I find disturbing is there is no standard on what id a service Animal should have. Secondly if one does an Internet search you will find a number of companies that issue phony IDs.
Aloha, Eric! I just want to thank you again for your hospitality last summer when Margie and I were there! You, sir, are a Prince! We were just going through the pics of that trip, Vegas, L.A., the CS and EB and our time in St. Paul, and reliving that experience, and meeting you and sharing time with you was a huge part of that being a great trip. Mahalo, my friend, mahalo!

People cheat on this rule because the blanket prohibition on transporting pets is (rightly) seen as unreasonable.

In general, cheating is considered acceptable when the rule being broken is considered unreasonable. (This is sort of Social Behavior 101 stuff.)

This is why it's so important to have rules which the vast majority consider reasonable. *Then*, other people won't tolerate cheating. It's a vital thing to remember when designing social rules.
I agree! However, there is a huge difference between social rules and health/safety rules.

Even with health & safety rules with strong scientific backing, you have to get *social support* in order to *effectively* make them into rules.

Look up the history: there were massive publicity campaigns for such things as "don't litter", "wash your hands", "get vaccinated", "cover your sneeze", etc., backed with lots of information, before it was possible to really make those things into mandatory rules. Actually, all of those publicity campaigns have declined and the old problems have returned. :sigh: That's kind of depressing, but if we restored the anti-littering and pro-vaccination campaigns we might be able to reverse the trend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back