Dome Car on CN this morning - what did I miss?

• Thread starter Metra Electric Guest
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason they don't "promote" the dome, is to avoid disappointment if they don't operate it for some reason...

The Dome was not on 391 today.

The Dome was not on 391 today.
I'm disappointed.
That's what I mean....

It's something similar to when Amtrak announces planned detours like Tehachapi for the Starlight, and some fans will travel long distances to get the rare-mileage experience.

Then for some reason like weather, or early conclusion of construction, the train will run its regular route, causing disappointment for those affected....

So no promotion for the dome, except for the usual foliage trains....

So no promotion for the dome, except for the usual foliage trains....
But that brings up the question of why bother running it? If nobody who cares knows about it, they're not making any extra revenue from it. It doesn't generate any revenue on its own either (or at least it didn't when I rode it) - there's no food service aboard, unless there is on some runs. It's just a bunch of extra weight to pull around.

I'm someone who loves lounge cars and domes and I don't care that Amtrak doesn't make a profit; take my taxes, I'll gladly pay for Amtrak. But it seems like a huge waste to have a bunch of dead weight at the back of a train that nobody even knows about.

But that brings up the question of why bother running it? If nobody who cares knows about it, they're not making any extra revenue from it. It doesn't generate any revenue on its own either (or at least it didn't when I rode it) - there's no food service aboard, unless there is on some runs. It's just a bunch of extra weight to pull around.

I'm someone who loves lounge cars and domes and I don't care that Amtrak doesn't make a profit; take my taxes, I'll gladly pay for Amtrak. But it seems like a huge waste to have a bunch of dead weight at the back of a train that nobody even knows about.
That's exactly the goal here - the extra dead weight lets Amtrak operate at maximum speed over crossings on CN, who mandated a 7 car minimum before allowing it.

Apparently it was January 22nd. :blush: You won't see it on 391 anytime soon as it is headed west for a "fun train" and it wasn't there for the axle count.

That's exactly the goal here - the extra dead weight lets Amtrak operate at maximum speed over crossings on CN, who mandated a 7 car minimum before allowing it.
Oh, well that makes a little more sense I guess. But why not just add another coach or a cafe car that does generate revenue? Do they not even have one extra car to spare? It seems like putting extra wear and tear on a 60 year old car that doesn't generate revenue anyway would be something they'd want to avoid.

Thats what they did, slapped another car on it so it still has seven. Really long train for this route.

Oh, well that makes a little more sense I guess. But why not just add another coach or a cafe car that does generate revenue? Do they not even have one extra car to spare? It seems like putting extra wear and tear on a 60 year old car that doesn't generate revenue anyway would be something they'd want to avoid.
I can't say for sure, but they may want to operate the car occasionally, just to 'keep it in tune', so-to-speak. Equipment that sits idle for long periods develop maintenance issues....like seals in A/C systems drying out if they are not used occasionally........

Well I took the plunge and bought a round trip for this Tuesday on 391 to Carbondale and back in the afternoon on 392. Have a bail and return plan if no dome (2 one way tickets) as a ride in a Horizon Coach on a quick turn just not worth it, although a high forecast of a balmy 46 degrees might be worth bringing the shorts to CDL, I'll call it winter break?

Waiting for the November Chicago based runs just seems to far out not to try to ride it now.

If anyone has happened to see or ridden either one of these trains in the last day or two, or can keep an eye out Monday and report if Oceanview is in the consist it would be great, not to say it can change any day but it would give some insight if even on the run at this time. Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently it was January 22nd. :blush: You won't see it on 391 anytime soon as it is headed west for a "fun train" and it wasn't there for the axle count.
Missed this somehow, looked up the "Fun Train" web site and saw the Dome in the picture and just cancelled the trip, guess I will have to wait until November to ride. No Fun Train on my part for now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Works for me - do to recent customer service events - doubt I will riding anywhere on Amtrak unless there is a death in family. Just not worth hassle anymore. Being harassed by certain employees do to my well known viewpoints and having a cafe car attendant blatantly steal $20 from me in front of another customer - who pointed out what he had done - enough is enough. When I've done nothing other than express my opinion ( not while onboard mind you ) - ongoing harassment achieved it's goal - getting rid of a highend ticket customer and passenger rail advocate - who feels better customer service is long overdue in Midwest.

Bloody Mary conductor ( frequent riders will know what I'm talking about ) who works Lincoln Service and Texas Eagle yesterday who berated and cussed me out within earshot last night didn't have the stones to do it to my face. All because while trying to deboard sleeper - I moved to allow a woman who exited bathroom access to head back to her room and he felt I wasn't listening to his stern instructions and was getting in way of step stool placement. He didn't like it when I politely and sternly stood up for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back