Dome Car On The Adirondack

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NS VIA FAN

On what days is the Dome Car on the Adirondack southbound from Montreal. There is only one car in service (Amtrak's last Dome: #10031) so the schedule alternates.

On what days is the Dome Car on the Adirondack southbound from Montreal. There is only one car in service (Amtrak's last Dome: #10031) so the schedule alternates.
The car will run northbound from Albany on Thursday, Saturday, and Monday and southbound from Montreal on Friday, Sunday, and Tuesday. No trip is made on Wednesdays.

The car will run northbound from Albany on Thursday, Saturday, and Monday and southbound from Montreal on Friday, Sunday, and Tuesday. No trip is made on Wednesdays.
There is a Dome Car on the Adirondack? What are the details and for how long? That is a great ride for a dome !

Tim

There is a Dome Car on the Adirondack? What are the details and for how long? That is a great ride for a dome !

Tim
I haven't heard of an official end date, but it is rumored to be on there until around Thanksgiving. Supposedly it was done to help promote the Adirondack and they picked leaf peaper season to run it. It only runs from Albany north to Montreal and back. It's taken on/off with the P42, when that is swapped out for a P32-ACDM at Albany. Therefore the car is located directly behind the engine. One cannot buy a ticket specifically for the car, it's simply first come first served.

Other than that car not being able to run to New York, it would be cool if that car also doubled as the food-service car, instead of the dinette.

No, in 1974, the first year the Adirondack operated, CP "Skyline" Domes were leased and painted into D&H colours. (these are the same domes still in use today on VIA's Canadian and Chaleur) They were later replaced by Amtrak domes.
Fantastic news that somebody somewhere has had the initiative to arrange this. I just hope that there's been suitable promotion to make people aware of the leef peeping opportunities. I know that the Adirondack is a particularly healthy train for Amtrak, what with decent loads for most of the year and a subsidy arrangement that basically covers any operating loss. It would be good to see this become a permanent fixture, but I imagine the dome could be better used elsewhere at other times of the year. What is it normally used for?

*j* :blink:

Fantastic news that somebody somewhere has had the initiative to arrange this. I just hope that there's been suitable promotion to make people aware of the leef peeping opportunities.
I'm not aware of any promotion by Amtrak regarding this. In fact it's probably one of the better kept secrets, especially from the general public.

I know that the Adirondack is a particularly healthy train for Amtrak, what with decent loads for most of the year and a subsidy arrangement that basically covers any operating loss.
I'm not so sure that i'ts one of the healthier trains around. During the summer its full, but I don't think that true of the rest of the year. And while NY might be covering the operating losses for this train, Amtrak is loosing money of the rest of the NY services.

It would be good to see this become a permanent fixture, but I imagine the dome could be better used elsewhere at other times of the year. What is it normally used for?
Collecting dust.

No, in 1974, the first year the Adirondack operated, CP "Skyline" Domes were leased and painted into D&H colours. (these are the same domes still in use today on VIA's Canadian and Chaleur) They were later replaced by Amtrak domes.
Fantastic news that somebody somewhere has had the initiative to arrange this. I just hope that there's been suitable promotion to make people aware of the leef peeping opportunities. I know that the Adirondack is a particularly healthy train for Amtrak, what with decent loads for most of the year and a subsidy arrangement that basically covers any operating loss. It would be good to see this become a permanent fixture, but I imagine the dome could be better used elsewhere at other times of the year. What is it normally used for?

I really hope the Cardinal is on the "consideration list" for that dome. If there was ever a single level train screaming for a car like that, it's the Cardinal. The dome would have to be added in DC with the Diesel engine, obviously. And given that the train just runs three times a week, the dome could make it onto a good percentage of the runs.

On a related note, I've just about convinced my wife to take a weekend trip to Montreal this November. <grin>

-Rafi

I really hope the Cardinal is on the "consideration list" for that dome. If there was ever a single level train screaming for a car like that, it's the Cardinal. The dome would have to be added in DC with the Diesel engine, obviously. And given that the train just runs three times a week, the dome could make it onto a good percentage of the runs.

On a related note, I've just about convinced my wife to take a weekend trip to Montreal this November. <grin>

-Rafi
Yes, the Cardinal and its trip through the New River Gorge would be an excellant choice for the dome. The windows of an Amfleet II just don't do justice to the gorge. In fact I haven't even been through the gorge since Amtrak stopped running Superliners on that route. :(

It seems like this would do fairly well on the Vermonter as well, given its run along the Connecticut River for a good portion of the trip north of New Haven. But I guess the Vermonter isn't a very good service to highlight considering its dismal on time performance.

It seems like this would do fairly well on the Vermonter as well, given its run along the Connecticut River for a good portion of the trip north of New Haven. But I guess the Vermonter isn't a very good service to highlight considering its dismal on time performance.
Why would AMTRAK not place this dome car on the Zephyr where the original dome cars were created for. It would give for so much more viewing pleasure through the Rockies instead of the traditional Lounge car.

Why would AMTRAK not place this dome car on the Zephyr where the original dome cars were created for. It would give for so much more viewing pleasure through the Rockies instead of the traditional Lounge car.
Operational difficulties. They'd either have to change the entire train over to single-level, or convince the crew to let passengers walk through their transition sleeper to get to the dome (the transition sleeper is the only Superliner can that can provide acess to both single-level and Superliner eguipment).

[Why would AMTRAK not place this dome car on the Zephyr where the original dome cars were created for. It would give for so much more viewing pleasure through the Rockies instead of the traditional Lounge car.]
It also would take 6 dome cars to provide equipment for all the sets of the California Zephyr and since Amtrak only has one active Dome Car, it makes sense to use it on a shorter distance train. The lone dome car is an ex Great Northern Dome Lounge car which continued to operate on the Empire Builder after Amtrak started until the Superliners came in 1979.

Last edited by a moderator:
Operational difficulties. They'd either have to change the entire train over to single-level, or convince the crew to let passengers walk through their transition sleeper to get to the dome (the transition sleeper is the only Superliner can that can provide acess to both single-level and Superliner eguipment).
Passengers already walk into the Transition sleeper, since they sell rooms in the trans/dorm to passengers. Of course they don't walk through the entire car and it is only First Class passengers, not coach.

The Adirondack doesn't exactly have a wonderful on time record either. I'm not sure just how they compare, but again the Adirondack's record isn't wonderful.

I think that Amtrak just decided that it was easier to do the switching in Albany, by comparison to New Haven.

The Vermonter has been abysmal to say the least. Here's how bad it's gotten, they changed the turn job (BRA-SPG-BRA) so that instead the job swings to the Northbound train en route and a Springfield based Engineer brings the train over to the BRA Engineer.

As far as how long the dome car will be on the adirondack. I would have to agree with until thankgiving. The dome car has been a annual part of the Reno Fun Train from Emeryville, CA (San Francisco, CA) to Reno, NV it is a seasonal train that operates separate of 5/6 (California Zeyphyr) and operates with the dome 10031 about 15 Amfleet I and Horizon cars and 3 private cars. I'm glad to see that they are finding ways to keep the dome operating I was just wondering a few weeks ago where it was at since I hav'nt seen or heard about it here on the west coast since last winters fun train.

October 23, 2007 "Great Dome" Car Added to Adirondack Service

Special Viewing Car Added During Fall Foliage Season in New York State

WASHINGTON — Beginning Monday, October 22, 2007, through Monday, November 12, 2007, passengers riding Amtrak's Adirondack train, which operates between New York City and Montreal, will have the unique opportunity to experience the spectacular view afforded by the historic "Great Dome" car between Albany and Montreal.

Named for their design that features an upper level with windows on all sides as well as overhead, dome cars provide passengers with panoramic views of passing scenery. The dome car is temporarily assigned to the Adirondack, and provides views of fall foliage and Lake Champlain as the train travels through upstate New York and across the border into Canada. The refurbished vintage "Great Dome" car seats 90 passengers and is 85 feet long. The dome section runs the full length of the car, an unusual feature, since the more common type of dome encompassed less than half the length of the car.

"The much anticipated arrival of the "Great Dome" car into New York State is certainly welcome news for our passengers who plan to travel through the Empire region this month," said Mike DeCataldo, Amtrak's General Superintendent, Northeast Corridor. "I encourage all New York residents and our friends in Canada to take advantage of this rare opportunity to witness and experience train travel in a unique and breathtaking manner," he added.

The car will operate northbound from Albany to Montreal on Thursday, Saturday and Monday. It returns south from Montreal on Friday, Sunday, and Tuesday. No trips are made on Wednesdays. All passengers traveling on the Albany-Montreal segment of the route are welcome to enter the dome car to enjoy the view. Seats in the dome car are not reserved and are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

About the "Great Dome"

The only remaining dome car in Amtrak service, car number 10031, which is a Great Dome car previously used on the Chicago-Seattle Empire Builder when the train was operated by the Great Northern Railway and the Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad (later the Burlington Northern Railroad).

It was among six similar Great Dome cars built in 1955 by the Budd Company for the Great Northern and carried the name "Ocean View," car number 1391. All six of the cars were conveyed to Amtrak in 1971, with this car first being given the number 9361. It was renovated in 1985, renumbered 9300, and used in daily service on the Amtrak Auto Train to and from the Washington, DC, and Orlando, Florida, areas through 1994.

According to a website hosted at www.trainweb.org, four others of this series of Great Domes survive. The "Glacier View" is in use by the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway (the successor to the Burlington Northern and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway) as an inspection and theatre car; Grand Luxe Rail Tours owns the former "Mountain View" and "River View" cars and has renamed them "New Orleans" and "Copper Canyon" for their nationwide tours, frequently using Amtrak crews and locomotives. The former "Prairie View" is owned by Holland America Westours and has been renamed "Deshka" for use in Alaska.

Great Dome 10031 is usually used in charter service on the West Coast and rarely operates east of the Rocky Mountains.
The above press release from Amtrak can also be found by clicking here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back