Dome Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crescent Mark

Service Attendant
Did Amtrak sell all of it's dome cars? Do they have any left? I think I read somewhere they have two for business left?

I was just watching a YouTube video of the City Of New Orleans rolling through Memphis in 1989 and it had a dome car, so I was just wondering...

Amtrak has one full dome car #10031 left in service. All other cars have either been sold, scrapped, or retired.

Is it actively used on any routes? Or kept just for extremely special occasions?

EDIT:

Is this the one?

Surprising to me they've done that to so many. I've seen plenty of videos of the Capital Limited and the CONO having them even just up to about a decade ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it actively used on any routes? Or kept just for extremely special occasions?
EDIT:

Yes, that's the one. Amtrak put it on the front of the Adirondack last fall to promote the route's scenery during that time of year. As for other times they use it, I wouldn't say extremely special. It's used on very random occasions, like business trains, promotional events, relaunching of trains (like in 2005 with the EB), or placed onto a regular train for a few months just to promote the route (Like with the Adirondack last fall or the Surfliner last spring).

Excellent. Thanks for the answer. Last question - I've heard that an original Zephyr Dome has been tacked on to the end of the California Zephyr a few times. How does this come about? Does a private business own it (or several?) and decide they want to pay for it to take the ride every now and then?

Excellent. Thanks for the answer. Last question - I've heard that an original Zephyr Dome has been tacked on to the end of the California Zephyr a few times. How does this come about? Does a private business own it (or several?) and decide they want to pay for it to take the ride every now and then?
I don't know any details about this car in particular, but it is definately a private rail car, not necessarily owned by a business, with no correlation to Amtrak. Since it's private, no Amtrak passengers are aloud into the car. You can do this on any Amtrak route where the time and equipment for switching permits; just pay an extremely hefty fee and Amtrak will tow your railcar across the country.

That dome has been operating most recently this summer on the central coast Surfliner. Would be nice if they could get a few back in service as it really adds something to what is otherwise a pretty boring consist and with Horizon cars, a pretty big drag to be on for four hours. IMO if they can pull one or two out of mothballs, the Adriondak should have one all year, and so should the CCS. There are probably a couple of other routes that would benefit, but those two strike me as must-have.

Retired would imply they are sitting in a yard somewhere in mothballs, wouldn't it?
I would think that retired would mean rummaged for spare parts. Leaving behind a shell that might not be easily bought back into service, ever. No?

Does anyone know of any cases where someone has bought a retired car or cars, had them hauled to a fixed final location and turned them into a house/cottage, much like some folks do with retired airliners? I've seen numerous boxcars that have been turned into workshops or storage sheds and cabooses (cabeese?) that have become restaurants and can only imagine the right person could make a nice dwelling out of an old dome or other passenger car.

When I lived in upstate NY, I remember seeing a property that someone converted (IIRC) a caboose and some box cars to be their residence. (And this as miles from the nearest rail line!) But I don't recall seeing any passenger cars converted to private living space.

Of course, there are businesses that have done so to cabooses, sleepers or diners. 3 that come to mind are in Stratsburg, PA (sp?), Chattanoga, TN (sp?) and a restaurant I went to years ago in southern CA.

When I lived in upstate NY, I remember seeing a property that someone converted (IIRC) a caboose and some box cars to be their residence. (And this as miles from the nearest rail line!) But I don't recall seeing any passenger cars converted to private living space.
Of course, there are businesses that have done so to cabooses, sleepers or diners. 3 that come to mind are in Stratsburg, PA (sp?), Chattanoga, TN (sp?) and a restaurant I went to years ago in southern CA.
How 'bout an entire hotel of cabeese?

caboose.jpg

Does anyone know of any cases where someone has bought a retired car or cars, had them hauled to a fixed final location and turned them into a house/cottage, much like some folks do with retired airliners? I've seen numerous boxcars that have been turned into workshops or storage sheds and cabooses (cabeese?) that have become restaurants and can only imagine the right person could make a nice dwelling out of an old dome or other passenger car.
Its in my 5 year plan, man. I'm just waitin' to get the money to do it. I got my eye on a crew dorm for sale (Pine Cove/Pacific Slope). I need a Diner and something else (the third isn't so important, since I'm gonna gut it anyway) in addition, I'm only interested in Budd-built cars. Its not just the fact that I'm a railfan (although I am), its also a pretty inexpensive concept, and low maintenance to boot.

Here is the ultimate use of equipment.

This is the boss's office in this engine.

Corman1.jpg

This is the office staff's car.

corman2.jpg

His office has a complete "O" gauge railroad running around inside, too.

I took these a few years ago for use on another webpage.

Why wouldn't you want to find some track to park the car or cars on where HEP is available, and have Amtrak tow your home to your vacation spot whenever you go traveling, if you're going to do that?

The width of a railcar is somewhat less than I want for some of the spaces I want in a home, and I don't like the idea of having to walk through vestibles in the winter when I'm at home.

The reason cabesse are popular for things like that hotel, I suspect, is that they became obsolete fairly suddenly when using a FRED became a valid alternative.

Why wouldn't you want to find some track to park the car or cars on where HEP is available, and have Amtrak tow your home to your vacation spot whenever you go traveling, if you're going to do that?

I'm pretty sure to do this, you would need the "Amtrak Nerd Rewards" select plus card as discussed in another thread here.. B)

The width of a railcar is somewhat less than I want for some of the spaces I want in a home, and I don't like the idea of having to walk through vestibles in the winter when I'm at home.

The reason cabesse are popular for things like that hotel, I suspect, is that they became obsolete fairly suddenly when using a FRED became a valid alternative.
Because maintaining a railcar to Amtrak standards costs a bloody fortune compared to simply using it as a home. Trust me, I've done research into all of this.

I've moved three cabooses for others. Pulling teeth with a herd of mice is easier. First, all the downers I've encountered:

Almost all of the "good" equipment is owned by brokers making very-long-term investments, capitalizing on the person with a lot of disposable income who really wants a car. They will charge what they can possibly get.

Once easy to get in the '70's, railroads aren't too keen on letting go of cabooses any more. If you can find one and can bid on one, scrappers don't like competition, and the first hoop you'll have to jump through involves payment-- Railroads want full payment on-the-spot, but won't take cash, and frown on checks-- they want an existing account. Chatting up a business that ships with the railroad and already has an account is the easiest way to get around it.

Okay, you bought the thing. Maybe you'll get a good deal on RR shipping, FOB nearest terminal, but nowadays "pay from storage location". Either way, if the RR has to move it at all, YOU pay for whatever's needed to certify it for shipping-- mostly safety appliances and brake work.

You're very lucky if you have a spur to put it on, but if the RR has any say in the matter, you need to get it completely off ROW. Even a 50-foor move involves a crane and its crew, paid for by the hour from the minute the equipment leaves the movers to the minute it returns. Expect a couple hundred bucks an hour and ROUND UP-- 61 minutes equals two hours. Remember, most cabeese weigh 29 tons.

Longer shipping? Expect oversize permits to dramatically increase crane costs. Power companies may need to lift power lines, and the novelty of moving RR equipment has worn off, and they charge A LOT. One of the 29-ton cabooses I moved punched through a substandard bridge which the township wanted us to pay for until we showed how we "patched" the hole with a triple-thick layer of plywood (that obviously worked better than the bridge), thus proving poor bridge inspection was the real issue. The now-defunct Iron Horse restaurant chain figured out how to move cars using equipment similar to what moves mobile homes, but I haven't seen the equipment, and can't find anyone who has (worthy of someone looking into).

Of course, you have to find a co-operative zoning board. caboose #1 was considered a "shed." No fooling! Cabooses #2 and #3 had to be set on a cinder-block foundation, because of a fear that, if on trucks, they would roll away! Idiots! And don't forget the NIMBY and idiot factor; Caboose #1 generated protests because of a misunderstanding of what "trucks" were.

Make sure you have a disposal plan in case the RR gets abandoned or you decide you really won't live forever. One caboose in N Michigan has been for sale for almost 15 years now. Not everyone wants one, and location is a very big deal. Some old GT passenger cars N of Petoskey, MI are now tourist association owned, who got them for almost nothing after PRR/PC/MIGN pulled up tracks. I shudder at the thought of moving an 85-foot passenger car any real distance.

Cupolas are useless. They're not a separate room; they're just a higher part of the roof, with equipment lockers added in the space on either side, with seats bolted on top of them. Try turning a cupola into a kid's "clubhouse" means ducking down to get from the front of the caboose to the back, and the little ones will quickly outgrow it.

THE GOOD SIDE:

You CAN find that great deal saving you a lot of bucks, if you can wait. I know of one caboose locally (Grand Rapids, MI area) that was bought and moved for cheaper than a substantial storage building would have cost. Considering it as a guest house or vacation cabin and the price and work is easier to swallow. Especially if you're not one of those people who whine about problem lists afterwards.

As for personal satisfaction, hey, I saved three cabooses from uncertain futures. NYC, C&O, C&NW.

ALSO, put simply, YOU NOW OWN A RAIL CAR. How cool is that?

And Green Maned Lion, when you google discuss.amtraktrains.com, under links within the website (the little ones bottled up underneath search result) your account is in the top 8 links for the website. Congrats!
Yea, I noticed that too. ;)

discuss.amtraktrains.com/ - 68k - Cached - Similar pagesRail Discussion

Green Maned Lion

Trip Reports

FAQs & First-Time Rider Info Unlimited's Virtual Train Tour

Guest Rewards

Commuter Rail/Subway/Light Rail

That dome has been operating most recently this summer on the central coast Surfliner. Would be nice if they could get a few back in service as it really adds something to what is otherwise a pretty boring consist and with Horizon cars, a pretty big drag to be on for four hours. IMO if they can pull one or two out of mothballs, the Adriondak should have one all year, and so should the CCS. There are probably a couple of other routes that would benefit, but those two strike me as must-have.
I noticed it last night. Apparently, it's been on 798/799 all week, and likely to stay for a couple more days.

I noticed it last night. Apparently, it's been on 798/799 all week, and likely to stay for a couple more days.
And back from leaftime on the Adirondack, it's back on 798(792)/799 these days. Unconfirmed rumor from one of the usual BC attendants is 'at least until after Thanksgiving'. :)

The spelling is: Chattanooga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back