Downeaster extension to Brunswick, ME

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice. Have there been any announcements of a date for the extension? The article says "in the fall," but I was thinking it would be fun to take the new service while I'm on the east coast for the Gathering.

I don't know of an exact date, but I presume at this point that the track work must be completed? Anyone know?

Charlie,

I'm not sure if they will have it running by then, but even if they do, the initial plan is for only 1 RT a day. This is due to the lack of a layover facility in Brunswick, which while under construction will not be ready by the time everything else is ready to go. So the trains must return each night to Portland. This could make it more difficult to take a ride.

Charlie,

I'm not sure if they will have it running by then, but even if they do, the initial plan is for only 1 RT a day. This is due to the lack of a layover facility in Brunswick, which while under construction will not be ready by the time everything else is ready to go. So the trains must return each night to Portland. This could make it more difficult to take a ride.
Initial service will be two round trips per day from Portland, one through round trip per day from Boston. The start date and the schedule specifics will be announced this summer.

Downeaster Expansion

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlie,

Initial service will be two round trips per day from Portland, one through round trip per day from Boston. The start date and the schedule specifics will be announced this summer.

Downeaster Expansion
That article said 2 R/Ts from Boston and 1 from Portland.

Charlie,

Downeaster Expansion
I believe that the three round trips is once the project is completed, including the Brunswick train storage shed. I'm not sure that storage shed is under construction, or that a location has even been determined. That facility has been the subject of some rancor in Brunswick.

It is possible that they will run two Brunswick - Boston round trips, with the train dead-headed up from POR in the morning, and back to POR in the evening. It seems like a costly way to operate, but they might do that to increase the usefulness of the extension until it is possible to store trains at Brunswick.

Charlie,

Downeaster Expansion
I believe that the three round trips is once the project is completed, including the Brunswick train storage shed. I'm not sure that storage shed is under construction, or that a location has even been determined. That facility has been the subject of some rancor in Brunswick.

It is possible that they will run two Brunswick - Boston round trips, with the train dead-headed up from POR in the morning, and back to POR in the evening. It seems like a costly way to operate, but they might do that to increase the usefulness of the extension until it is possible to store trains at Brunswick.
Seems like a waste to dead-head to POR, if the train is running anyway why not sell some tickets?

Charlie,

Downeaster Expansion

Seems like a waste to dead-head to POR, if the train is running anyway why not sell some tickets?
There was a once-a-week train like that (i.e. Tickets sold on a de facto deadhead) in Virginia. Basically, the second-to-last train in the evening on Friday gets run back up to Richmond as an equipment move. IIRC, ticket sales were just awful on it, and Amtrak stopped the practice so they could just move the train when it was ready to move.

This is all great news. I look forward to the schedule being officially published.

I had also heard a while back that a private railroad company would extend service from Brunswick to Rockland - but have not seen anything lately about that. Anyone know anything?

(Rockland is only about 35 minutes from here and it is a nice thought that I might be able to begin a a rail journey involving less than the 2 hour drive to Portland.)

Charlie,

Downeaster Expansion

Everything I have seen has stated that initially (with no overnight train storage in Brunswick) the Brunswick extension will operate with 2 BON-Brunswick R/Ts and 1 POR-Brunswick R/T, with the POR trains being early morning from POR to Brunswick and late evening from Brunswick to POR.

This is all great news. I look forward to the schedule being officially published.

I had also heard a while back that a private railroad company would extend service from Brunswick to Rockland - but have not seen anything lately about that. Anyone know anything?

(Rockland is only about 35 minutes from here and it is a nice thought that I might be able to begin a a rail journey involving less than the 2 hour drive to Portland.)
That train has already been running for years!

http://www.maineeasternrailroad.com/

Was there some mention that with the Downeaster extension, they might expand services and/or adjust times to support through traffic (at least, "in season")?

Everything I have seen has stated that initially (with no overnight train storage in Brunswick) the Brunswick extension will operate with 2 BON-Brunswick R/Ts and 1 POR-Brunswick R/T, with the POR trains being early morning from POR to Brunswick and late evening from Brunswick to POR.
That is how they will do the service without requiring any deadhead moves. The early morning POR - Brunswick train will turn into the morning Brunswick - BON train, and the last BON - Brunswick train will become the evening Brunswick - POR train.

From the old Maine Central timetable I see that the distance around 28 miles. So it is not going to be more than an hour each way, and possibly less, I hope.

BTW, this Portland Press Herald article says that service is expected to start in November.

Another thing I can't recall: Is there supposed to be an eventual extension to Augusta and/or Bangor?

Was there some mention that with the Downeaster extension, they might expand services and/or adjust times to support through traffic (at least, "in season")?
The Downeaster Expansion webpage says that the Maine Eastern RR will adjust their schedules: "Upon completion of construction, Amtrak will extend two of the Downeaster’s daily round-trips to Brunswick, and the MERR will offer connecting passenger service to Rockland."

Which is the obvious thing for them to do. Having a connecting train from Boston at Brunswick should significantly expand their passenger base for vacation and weekend travel from Boston. Take the train from BON to Brunswick, then take a MERR excursion train to one of the coastal towns and stay at a Bed & Breakfast or rental house for the weekend or week during the summer season? Could be very popular in Boston.

Freeport is also likely to see a lot of day trip traffic on weekends for shopping expeditions if/when the Sat/Sun schedule can be adjusted to allow for day trips from Boston with a 3-5 hour layover in Freeport. I was in Freeport a few years ago and it is a town that has evolved to a LL Bean and retail chain shopping mecca. There was once a real Maine town there that has been taken over by LL Bean and discount retail stores. Do it right and during the peak fall and holiday season, they could get a packed morning train from BON arriving at Freeport in time for lunch and on the return in the later afternoon.

Freeport is also likely to see a lot of day trip traffic on weekends for shopping expeditions if/when the Sat/Sun schedule can be adjusted to allow for day trips from Boston with a 3-5 hour layover in Freeport.
I did that (from DCA) when I was in High School (a friends dad is a USAirways pilot). Flew DCA-RWM and then rented a car and drove up one day during Christmas break and had an awesome time.

Can't do it as a day trip from down here, but I'm looking forward to a trip up that way some time in the future.

There is still a "real town" in Freeport. And LL Bean has been there for 100 years and is an awesome company, so I wouldn't say that the town has been taken over by them. If you removed LL Bean from the local economy, that would be devastating for the people of the mid-coast Maine region. Thousands of locals live in Freeport and there are definitely some businesses that appeal to them instead of to tourists. Frankly the mid-coast is already struggling enough with the departure of the naval air station in Brunswick.

jls, thanks for the link. I always enjoy getting to look over those plans.

Quick thoughts:

-Though not directly related, the Concord-Manchester-Boston service makes sense to me.

-The Auburn-Montreal service, on the other hand, most assuredly doesn't. Also...whose idea was a Portland-Montreal HSR line?

-However, a service extension to Lewiston does make sense, and it does seem that there are longer-range plans to extend service to Augusta. The Rockland line seems to be taken care of in some ways (the plan anticipates improved linking service from the Maine Eastern).

Also of note is that the Downeaster's ridership seems set to achieve the "base ridership" goal for 2020 in the next few years, well ahead of schedule. The base case had rather low ridership assumptions, I suspect.

Finally...what does trigger the PTC mandate if 6/day doesn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back