downtown Chicago layover??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sutton

Hi guys,

In a couple months or so, I'll be taking the 3 Rivers NYC-CHI. I'll have a few hours downtown Chicago (where I've been before) on a SUNDAY. Yikes! Is everything closed? Or the cafes/bookstores at least open?

Any experience? Thanks!

Scott

Speaking for myself, I find the following to be of interest and fairly reasonable walking distance(that really depends on the person of course).

I like the Field Museum of Natural History, the Shedd Aquarium, the Art Museum, The Sears towers, Marshall Fields(for shopping) and viewing Lake Michigan.

I suppose most of it is open on Sunday, at least from about noon on.

Many of the stores right around Union Station may be closed, however walk a few blocks and you'll find things that are open. Two suggestions would be to head towards the lake front, as more things tend to be open over there along Wabash and State streets.

You could also take the short walk over to Metra's Ogilvie Transportation Center. This is about 2 - 3 blocks north and 1 west of CUS. There is a small mall at Ogilvie with a food court. Not everything will be open, but many of the stores were open when I was there last summer on a Sunday.

You can even shorten your walk outside, if it's really cold, by walking down one of the Metra platforms on the north side of CUS. At the far end of the northern platforms there is a street exit. That will leave you one block closer to Ogilvie.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info and reassurances! Bill, the museums sound good.

Just out of curiosity, how are you traveling on the Three Rivers? Sleeper or Coach? If by sleeper, I think you'll thoroughly enjoy it.

Also, as for things to do in Chicago. When I had my layover there this past summer between the 3R and TX Eagle, I had plenty of time to visit the Sears Tower, then take a cab to the Museum of Science & Industry (Highly Recommend). On the way back I took the Metra Commuter Train to Randolph Street Station and then walked back to Union Station.

Plenty to do and see in Chicago.

Taking Three Rivers. Thought the scenery might be nice and the train not as crowded. Since I don't care about a diner, didn't seem to matter, and I like the early arrival in Chi.

I've done the museum and Sears Tower. I'll stick with a walk along the lakeshore, the coffee houses, and maybe wander up to the near North.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back