Dropping In

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackwolf

Conductor
The title says it all.

Been riding trains since I was a toddler, and in my adult life, I've been taking to the rails in both short and long distance trips for several years. My introduction to Amtrak's long-distance trains occurred in 1994 when the family went round-trip to Seattle from the Bay Area via the Coast Starlight. The trip was awful, we traveled coach (our car both up and back were one of the old Santa Fe Hi-Level's that happened to be many years beyond their prime, complete with torn seats, bad ventilation, leaky windows while going through a rain squall in Oregon and toilets that flushed to the rail bed beneath the train.) Everyone who was on the trip vowed to never travel by Amtrak again, but I was hooked.

Since then, I'm a regular on the Capitol's between Sacramento and the Bay Area. In some ways I miss the single-level Horizon cars from the 1990's, but the bi-levels are certainly something to smile about. Seeing as I married a Canadian, every excuse to travel to the East Coast of Canada usually involves rail in some way or another. This, of course, means VIA Rail Canada has been a company I've traveled with. The Renaissance equipment on the Ocean between Montreal and Halifax pales in comparison to even the AmCan, at least Amfleet cars don't feel as if they are going to come apart when the vestibule door is closed (no joke!) As for Amtrak equipment, I've traveled in roomette, bedroom and accessible bedroom accommodations in both Superliner and Viewliner (I like Superliner better; the toilet in the Viewliner roomette is just disturbing.) If the fates allow me to, I'll be back on a LD route this winter, and I tell you what, I cannot wait.

I've watched the Amtrak Forum for a while, but only now just joined. Here's to seeing you out there on the rails, for better or worse!

Routes Traveled:

VIA Rail "The Canadian"

VIA Rail "Corridors"

VIA Rail "The Ocean"

Amtrak "Cascades"

Amtrak "Capitol Corridor"

Amtrak "San Joquins"

Amtrak "Surfliner"

Amtrak "Coast Starlight"

Amtrak "Lake Shore Limited"

Amtrak "California Zephyr"

Amtrak "Adirondack"

Welcome!
hi.gif

I hope that you're a member of Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR). If not, send me a PM (Private Message) with your email address and I'll be glad to refer you!

Welcome!
hi.gif

I hope that you're a member of Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR). If not, send me a PM (Private Message) with your email address and I'll be glad to refer you!
Oh, you bet! 56,000 points and counting. ;)

Not many railpoints this year, though, I was only 600 points shy of Select status last year, but really had no reason to make the jump. Select status really does not mean squat here on the West Coast.

Not many railpoints this year, though, I was only 600 points shy of Select status last year, but really had no reason to make the jump. Select status really does not mean squat here on the West Coast.
If nothing else, there's always the 25% bonus on rail points that you get for being Select.

Plus you can "make friends" by sharing the coupons (for free) with others - either on AU or family/friends. In fact, even though I live on the east coast, I have given my coupons to other AU members who requested them, and have also received some from members living in WI, IA and TX!

We at AU are one big dis-functional family who like to share coupons for free! (They can not be sold, but they are transferable.)

Plus, as said, I like the 25% bonus on points and the phone number that allows you to "go to the head of the line" when you call AGR (and IIRC Amtrak)! It sometimes makes a hold time like 2 minutes instead of 15-20 minute on hold! I would try to requalify this year, but I only now have 1,200 rail points, so I'm going to pass this year.

Back