Drug bust on the SWC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobnabq

Lead Service Attendant
There seems to be a story each month on my local TV news about passengers on the SWC (#4) being arrested for transporting a quantity of drugs, usually marijuana.

Are the feds using a drug sniffing dog to check out the luggage car, or do they actually walk up and down the aisle of the passenger cars?

That would seem like a scene from fascist Europe circa WW II.

It always seems to be someone with "a quantity", so I'm guessing they're not looking for someone with an individual joint?

And, no ~ I've not smoked any for about 30 years. :eek:hboy:

I've yet to see a drug bust, but I have seen the dogs. They go down the aisle and sniff. They do not seem intrusive to me, but I don't do anything to draw attention to myself. Sometimes they are in stations too. It is a lot less bothersome then the TSA mess at the airport.

The last time I took the Sunset Limited, Amtrak Police were pulling tickets and checking IDs and passports in LAX. The train was delayed due to a bag check in the bag car and a walk through the train. I figured it was due to the close proximity of Mexico and the search for drugs or illegals. Border patrol was noted at various stops along the way and in and around El Paso. I did not think much about it because it happens on the LSL around Buffalo, so I accepted it as enhanced security.

Last edited by a moderator:
This...does not surprise me, actually. Talking to someone who lived not far from the NEC back in the 80s, apparently if you were high and/or carrying drugs between those cities, you took the train. Period. There were no police checks, no real way for them to catch you, and at the time not even any vague idea of implied consent a la driving. Basically, as long as you were reasonably quiet and not too blatant about it, you could be as high as you wanted to be. I suspect that the Clockers were particularly popular for this purpose, if I had to guess...but generally using the train seems to make sense as well, given the lighter security.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I rode the SWC in March I didn't see any drug sniffing dogs or police, but I was in the sleeper. however, I am positive that the couple I had dinner with on the second night of the trip were high as a kite - and it was on something much stronger than weed.

>> Drugs are the death of this country.<<

Wrong. Corporate greed and congressional gridlock are the death of this country - and they are inextricably intertwined - put another way, in bed together.

I do not in any way condone drug smuggling. But in perspective, it is a small problem compared to organized, LEGAL, destruction of our middle class by the wealthy and powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back