Drug runner arrested, rode CZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing something tipped them off prior to the Sheriff being called. Just a guess.

It could also be that five pounds of pot smells to high heaven with a very distinctive scent. If a smart conductor or passenger smelled it and complained they may have called the Amtrak Police and got a drug dog to sniff the bags.

In Placer County five pounds might as well be considered for "personal use." Especially considering the large scale grows in that county.

Also, leave it to The Sacramento Bee to not properly report the facts. I just checked the Placer County Jail register online and the subject is still in custody as of 8 AM on the 19th. It's unfortunately not unusual for The Bee to get this stuff wrong.

I've heard, though I don't know from personal experience, that pot grows wild along a lot of railroad tracks. Is that true? Has anyone here ever hopped off a train and scored some weed? :D

On our cross country trip last summer, our car attendent pointed out a patch of pot growing along side the tracks somewhere in the middle of Nebraska. It didn't seem to be growing wild, however. It seemed to be carefully cultivated.

I know about this only because my brother-in-law has a rather sophisticated pot farm where he grows his "medical" marajuana. He even has his Rx laminated and clipped to the fence surrounding it. I find it rather odd, though, since I didn't even know he was sick or in pain. In fact, every time I see him, he seems to be feeling no pain. (He may have aquired his prescription from an aroma therapist! This is California, after all).

On our cross country trip last summer, our car attendent pointed out a patch of pot growing along side the tracks somewhere in the middle of Nebraska. It didn't seem to be growing wild, however. It seemed to be carefully cultivated.
I know about this only because my brother-in-law has a rather sophisticated pot farm where he grows his "medical" marajuana. He even has his Rx laminated and clipped to the fence surrounding it. I find it rather odd, though, since I didn't even know he was sick or in pain. In fact, every time I see him, he seems to be feeling no pain. (He may have aquired his prescription from an aroma therapist! This is California, after all).
Last October on our return trip on the California Zephyr, there was some 'gentlemen' aboard one of the sleepers that had some 'medical marijuana' with them. How do I know? At our stop, which has a layover, they hopped off the train & lit up on the platform! :blink: I moved as fast as I could away from them!

Funny, what the guy did doesn't bother me at all. I'm sure half of Amtrak passengers are transporting some marijuana, though probably not that much.

I am more concerned about the alcohol being served on the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny, what the guy did doesn't bother me at all. I'm sure half of Amtrak passengers are transporting some marijuana, though probably not that much.
So what's the game plan then? Ditch the Sam Adams and sell spliffs? :cool:

Most of the passengers we have seen in our limited travels have been families with teens or young children, retirees, a few college students, and some Amish. Most, I would assume are not transporting Pot.

I was more surprised about their casual attitude towards lighting up in public. Our state does not have a Medical Marijuana law, so I would expect that if caught, they would have been arrested. That's why I did not want to be near them.

We had chatted with them prior to boarding & one of them had a valid medical reason for it, but at the time, he did not say anything about having Pot with them. He only mentioned it when he lit up at the stop. I don't know if you get a 'pass' in other states just because you have a prescription for it.

I don't really have an issue with alcohol being served on the train, as long you are of age & you behave yourself!

Otherwise, you may just get removed from the train!

Yes they do - in a word, "Dont'!".

There a thread around here that discusses a recent law to force Amtrak to allow the carriage of properly marked, unloaded firearms in checked baggage, but that law hasn't made its way into Amtrak policy yet.

Yes they do - in a word, "Dont'!".
There a thread around here that discusses a recent law to force Amtrak to allow the carriage of properly marked, unloaded firearms in checked baggage, but that law hasn't made its way into Amtrak policy yet.
So can we hope/assume that anyone found with a gun on the train except in checked baggage will at the very least be tossed off the train?

That's a safe bet. From the source:

Firearms in Checked Baggage
The Departments of Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act of 2010, enacted into law on December 16, 2009, requires Amtrak to implement the procedures necessary to provide storage and carriage of firearms in checked baggage cars and at Amtrak stations that accept checked baggage, within one year of the bill’s enactment. This requirement applies solely to checked baggage, not carry-on baggage.

Amtrak’s current policy prohibits all firearms, ammunition and other weapons aboard its trains. This includes any being carried on the person, in carry-on baggage or in checked baggage. Please be advised that this policy remains in effect until Amtrak begins firearm carriage service by December 2010.

I imagine anyone caught with a firearm on board would be shown at an early exit, but I wonder what happens to the firearm? Does Amtrak contact the authorities and is the gun confiscated?

I've heard, though I don't know from personal experience, that pot grows wild along a lot of railroad tracks. Is that true? Has anyone here ever hopped off a train and scored some weed? :D
It grows as a weed in North Dakota, mostly in disturbed areas, hence the term "ditch weed." Since the variety growing as a weed was the variety grown to produce raw materials for rope, smoking ditch weed has all the pleasure and mental effect of smoking, well, rope. Not that I would know from personal experience, of course.

Back in my younger more daring days the SCA on the LSL and I partook of some of his stash in the baggage car.

Back in my younger more daring days the SCA on the LSL and I partook of some of his stash in the baggage car.
Ahhhh, makes me think of riding the Coast Starlight back in mid '70s. Colleges all along the route (UCSB, Cal Poly SLO, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, etc), and a looser attitude. It was usually a pretty fun ride...cough, inhale...

Ahhhh, makes me think of riding the Coast Starlight back in mid '70s. Colleges all along the route (UCSB, Cal Poly SLO, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, etc), and a looser attitude. It was usually a pretty fun ride...cough, inhale...
That would have been a fun train to ride when the Grateful Dead were on one of their west coast tours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back