Early boarding on 449 in ALB

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive only taken 449 out of BOS twice, so I dont really know. Maybe when it first pulls in from BOS, but then shortly after, the train is pulled away from the platform to wait for 49 to arrive from NYP. Only after the 2 are combined do they allow you to board.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're in the Boston Sleeper which is 4820/4920 then you can try to board early. But if one is in a NY Sleeper 4811, 4812, 4911, and 4912 count on boarding with the general boarding call. I can tell you that when I rode 449 last September passengers were told that one can go up to the station for 10 minutes at the most. An announcement was made stating that if you didn't make the last call one would have to wait for the general call for 49.

I honestly would't count on boarding early. I'd count on the general call for boarding. Either way once 449 has completed station work and is given the ok, it will proceed a little west of the station wait for the NYP section of the LSL to arrive and then back down. Depending on OTP of 449 you could be sitting in the yard for a while. Keep in mind that 449 has a decent amount of padding between PIT and ALB. I arrived an hour ahead of scheduled arrival. So that's an example of the padding.

Once the train departs ALB one can walk the train to the diner for dinner.

If you are in the 449 sleeper, just be aware that after Albany, the diner car is behind you, you have to go through the 2 coaches from 449, the cafe car, the 3 coaches from 49 and then you will find the diner car. It is a very long ride if you are in the 449 sleeper to the diner.

I actually did this yesterday--I was in Albany off 68 from Montreal and asked if I could board the 449 sleeper when it came it and the gate agent said "of course" and let me down the elevator even before the train had come to a stop. The car attendant said this was normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back