Earning AGR points...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just applied for the sapphire preferred and it showed up in my chase account two days later. Cancelled the Continental before the first annual fee kicks in. Hard to believe Chase keeps giving me a 50k point bonus each year.

I'm not going to get rid of the AGR card because of the redemption rebate, but I think the Sapphire is going to earn a lot more points over the course of the year so it will be my new primary card.

Lots of great options here. The Chase AGR MasterCard is good because it has no annual fee at all, so you can keep it forever, and as long as you hold on to it your AGR points never expire. And, you also get a 5% points rebate on Amtrak travel redemptions.

The Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa is great because it currently comes with a 50,000 point bonus after spending $3000 on it in the first 3 months, the $95 annual fee is waived for the first year, and you are not charged a foreign transaction fee with this card. All travel and dining charges earn double points, and you get a 7% point "dividend" every January based on your point earnings for the prior calendar year (and the 50,000 bonus points earn this 7% dividend). The points earned are Chase's Ultimate Rewards points. There are many, many options for redeeming Ultimate Rewards points including transferring points for free on a 1:1 basis to several travel partners' loyalty programs including Amtrak Guest Rewards, United Airlines, British Airways, Continental Airlines, Korean Air, Southwest Airlines, Hyatt, Marriott and IHG Priority Club. Transfers can be made in 1,000 point increments and are virtually instantaneous. These transfers to travel partners' programs DO NOT have to be to your account -- they can be to anyone's account. So you can gift points to someone for free. Chase also offers a Sapphire Visa which also earns Ultimate Rewards points, but these points cannot be transferred out, so make sure you're applying for the Sapphire Preferred Card.

The Starwood Preferred Guest American Express card currently offers a bonus of 25,000 Starwood points after spending $5000 on it in the first 6 months. The $65 annual fee is waived for the first year. This card earns Starwood points, which can be transferred to many participating airlines' loyalty programs as well as Amtrak Guest Rewards for free on a 1:1 basis.

Chase also offers the Ink Bold Visa. This is a business card that earns Ultimate Rewards points. Currently, this card comes with a 50,000 point bonus after spending $5000 on it in the first 3 months. The annual fee ($95, I think) is waived for the first year. As with the Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa, you can transfer your Ultimate Rewards points to Amtrak Guest Rewards for free on a 1:1 basis.

So, to recap: up to 32,000 points for an AGR MasterCard, 50,000 points for a Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa, 25,000 points for a Starwood American Express card and 50,000 points for a Chase Ink Bold Visa, plus all the points you earn for the minimum spend and your regular monthly spend on these cards and you are well over 150,000 AGR points. You'll probably want to spread out your applications so you can accomplish all the minimum spending requirements for the sign-up bonuses, but you should be able to do this in a year or less. Before you know it, you'll be travelling the Frugalist way! ;)

Pay off your credit card balances every month or else you'll pay hefty interest charges. If you can't pay off your balances every month, ignore this post - the credit card game is not for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, in one of those tiny little font terms and conditions it says "After you spend $200 or more in a calendar year on Amtrak purchases using your Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard, you will then be eligible to redeem for airline miles, hotel points, and Audience Rewards." Anyone knows what this is? AGR points can be used for which airline's miles? What is the conversion ratio?

Please guide :)
This applies to transferring AGR points OUT to other loyalty programs. There are no Amtrak spending requirements for transferring other programs' points INTO AGR. You just have to have the points. ;)

The details of loyalty programs you can transfer your AGR points to is at the Redeem section of the AGR website: https://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/redeem#hotelPoints

With the demise of the AGR > Continental OnePass redemption option, it appears the only loyalty programs you can redeem AGR points for are Choice Privleges at a 5,000:15,000 point rate, Hilton Hhonors at a 5,000:10,000 point rate and Audience Rewards at a 1,000:1,000 point rate.

Ok, so I fell for the bait and applied for the Amtrak MasterCard with 32,000 bonus points to start off with. Anyone knows usually how much time it takes for Chase to come back with the result whether the card is approved or not? Also, it says bonus points will be posted to account in 6 to 8 weeks, does it really take that long for points to show up?
In my experience, AGR points earned on the AGR MasterCard show up in my AGR account within a couple of days of the closing date of my credit card statement.

Half of your sign-up bonus points will come from Chase and half will come directly from AGR. The half that come from Chase should show on your first credit card statement, and should post to your AGR account within a couple of days. The half that come directly from AGR should also show up within a few days of the closing date of your first credit card statement.

Ok, so I fell for the bait and applied for the Amtrak MasterCard with 32,000 bonus points to start off with. Anyone knows usually how much time it takes for Chase to come back with the result whether the card is approved or not? Also, it says bonus points will be posted to account in 6 to 8 weeks, does it really take that long for points to show up?
In my experience, AGR points earned on the AGR MasterCard show up in my AGR account within a couple of days of the closing date of my credit card statement.

Half of your sign-up bonus points will come from Chase and half will come directly from AGR. The half that come from Chase should show on your first credit card statement, and should post to your AGR account within a couple of days. The half that come directly from AGR should also show up within a few days of the closing date of your first credit card statement.
Thanks for the information! Does anyone know generally in how much time after submitting the online application one hears back if the card has been approved or rejected (for whatever reason)? I submitted my application this Wednesday (Jan 11) and didn't get any email or follow up phone call from Chase in the next three days, I guess I am being impatient, but just want to know what's the usual timeframe? Also, if there is any issue with this card, what phone number do you dial? I didn't find any number on the AGR Mastercard application webpage.

Thanks for the information! Does anyone know generally in how much time after submitting the online application one hears back if the card has been approved or rejected (for whatever reason)? I submitted my application this Wednesday (Jan 11) and didn't get any email or follow up phone call from Chase in the next three days, I guess I am being impatient, but just want to know what's the usual timeframe? Also, if there is any issue with this card, what phone number do you dial? I didn't find any number on the AGR Mastercard application webpage.
If you didn't get an instant decision, there a couple of ways to check on the status of your app. If you have an existing relationship with Chase, the home page of your online account will show all of your Chase accounts (checking and credit cards). If you've been approved, your AGR card will show up here a day or two after Chase opens your account. This will happen before you even receive the card in the mail. The other way is to call a Chase credit analyst at 1-888-245-0625. If you've been denied, you can ask them for a reconsideration. If you have other Chase credit cards, offer to lower the credit limits on one or more of those cards. That usually allows them to approve you for the card as long as your credit history warrants it.

If you have an issue with the card after you receive it, call the customer support number shown on the back of the card.

If you didn't get an instant decision, there a couple of ways to check on the status of your app. If you have an existing relationship with Chase, the home page of your online account will show all of your Chase accounts (checking and credit cards). If you've been approved, your AGR card will show up here a day or two after Chase opens your account. This will happen before you even receive the card in the mail. The other way is to call a Chase credit analyst at 1-888-245-0625. If you've been denied, you can ask them for a reconsideration. If you have other Chase credit cards, offer to lower the credit limits on one or more of those cards. That usually allows them to approve you for the card as long as your credit history warrants it.

If you have an issue with the card after you receive it, call the customer support number shown on the back of the card.
Once again, thanks frugalist. That was very helpful. I was so pleasantly surprised that my call to the number you provided went straight to a real human being!
ohmy.gif
They said the review process will take about ten days, so yeah, I was just being impatient!

Once again, thanks frugalist. That was very helpful. I was so pleasantly surprised that my call to the number you provided went straight to a real human being!
ohmy.gif
They said the review process will take about ten days, so yeah, I was just being impatient!
It's astounding and hard to believe -- but every time I have had occasion to call Chase Sapphire Preferred, the call has been answered by a human being. No phone trees or recordings whatsoever. I always feel like I've entered the Twilight Zone, just waiting for the grisly final scene.

ohmy.gif
It's astounding and hard to believe -- but every time I have had occasion to call Chase Sapphire Preferred, the call has been answered by a human being. No phone trees or recordings whatsoever. I always feel like I've entered the Twilight Zone, just waiting for the grisly final scene.
Chase Sapphire Preferred is a different thing. Since it is a card with annual fee, one of the "features" they advertise is that "you always get to talk to a real human being" (duh!). I was astonished my inquiry call to the Chase number for the no-annual fee Amtrak card went straight to a human being without even the customary "Welcome to Blah Blah. This call maybe monitored for training purposed blah blah"! Unbelievable :p

I applied early December, about 9 days later, cards came in the mail. Got the cards on or around the 12th of December I think, and just got my 32000 points today. Now have just over 36,000 points total, time to start planning a trip!

I just got my card a few days ago. One question - when purchasing Amtrak tickets using the card, do you get AGR points in addition to what you get from Amtrak itself, or do you just get the same amount of points that anyone purchasing an Amtrak ticket gets? If the latter, it may be a better idea to get Chase Sapphire (or Preferred) instead - as you would get AGR points from Amtrak *and* earn points on Amtrak purchases.

I just got my card a few days ago. One question - when purchasing Amtrak tickets using the card, do you get AGR points in addition to what you get from Amtrak itself, or do you just get the same amount of points that anyone purchasing an Amtrak ticket gets? If the latter, it may be a better idea to get Chase Sapphire (or Preferred) instead - as you would get AGR points from Amtrak *and* earn points on Amtrak purchases.
Thully, when purchasing amtrak tickets with an AGR mastercard, you get two points per dollar spent. You get the points in your AGR account when the credit card closes for the month. These are the points for purchasing the ticket with the AGR MC.

You then get another 2 points per dollar spent in AGR points at the completion of the trip. Those are the points for taking the trip.

So at the end of the day, you essentially get 4 pts per dollar spent on amtrak travel when using an AGR mc.

I have not been targeted yet for the 32,000 point bonus AGR card. When I log into my AGR account, it is always the 12,000 point bonus being offered to me. So, if I use one of those 32,000 bonus landing pages and apply for the card, will I get the 32,000 points, or 12,000 points, or no points at all? I am not going to apply if all I am offered is 12,000 points. I will just wait and hold out for more if I have to.

I have not been targeted yet for the 32,000 point bonus AGR card. When I log into my AGR account, it is always the 12,000 point bonus being offered to me. So, if I use one of those 32,000 bonus landing pages and apply for the card, will I get the 32,000 points, or 12,000 points, or no points at all? I am not going to apply if all I am offered is 12,000 points. I will just wait and hold out for more if I have to.
Chances are VERY HIGH that you will get exactly what YOU were targeted for: 12,000 points. A few of us here, including me, have personal experience with this. :(

Chances are VERY HIGH that you will get exactly what YOU were targeted for: 12,000 points. A few of us here, including me, have personal experience with this. :(
I got the link for the 32000 point offer from a person at Flyertalk...and I got 32,000 points. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll send you the link I used, may work.

And, as a bonus, apparently when you book AGR Travel, you get 5% points back! I didn't realize this, until I just booked a 40,000 point trip. My account shows the 2 x 20,000 points taken, but shows 2 bonuses of 1000 each coming back to me. Not bad at all, only 38,000 points for what would have been a $2500 bedroom trip! I think my wife will need to get a card next year!

I got the link for the 32000 point offer from a person at Flyertalk...and I got 32,000 points. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll send you the link I used, may work.
You're luckier than I am. :) Two years ago, when I got my AGR card, I applied through a link on a travel forum offering 16K bonus points (the best offer out there at the time). I ended up only getting 6K bonus points despite sending several pages of printed-out screen shots and a detailed letter stating my case via snail mail to AGR. The reason: I was not targeted for the 16K offer; my targeted offer was 6K.

And, as a bonus, apparently when you book AGR Travel, you get 5% points back! I didn't realize this, until I just booked a 40,000 point trip. My account shows the 2 x 20,000 points taken, but shows 2 bonuses of 1000 each coming back to me. Not bad at all, only 38,000 points for what would have been a $2500 bedroom trip! I think my wife will need to get a card next year!
You're right! You get a 5% points rebate on all Amtrak travel redemptions as long as you have the card. Another benefit of having the card: you are not subject to the rule requiring you to take a paid trip on Amtrak at least once every 3 years to avoid forfeiting your AGR Points balance.

You're luckier than I am. :) Two years ago, when I got my AGR card, I applied through a link on a travel forum offering 16K bonus points (the best offer out there at the time). I ended up only getting 6K bonus points despite sending several pages of printed-out screen shots and a detailed letter stating my case via snail mail to AGR. The reason: I was not targeted for the 16K offer; my targeted offer was 6K.

You're right! You get a 5% points rebate on all Amtrak travel redemptions as long as you have the card. Another benefit of having the card: you are not subject to the rule requiring you to take a paid trip on Amtrak at least once every 3 years to avoid forfeiting your AGR Points balance.
Cool, the bonus was a nice surprise, and so is not having to take the train every 3 years. Probably will anyway, but no guarantees, nice to keep collecting the points without having to worry about it, for our next epic trip. Probably be 2-3 years before we accumulate enough for another big trip.

Back