East From Chicago Info Needed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Engine58

Train Attendant
Hi All,

Have not posted in awhile...anyone have any insight on my trip? Its our first rail trip out east from Chicago.

Dec 5: Lakeshore Limited - CHI to NYP (Bedroom)

Dec 9: Lakeshore Limited - NYP to CHI (Bedroom)

Any neat sights I should be looking for?

The Hudson River between Albany & NYC - on the right going south, on the left going north.

Good views of the Mohawk valley between Buffalo and Albany too.

Last edited by a moderator:
The urban decay of Gary, Indiana, visible out of the right side of the train when heating east. (Well, *I* think it's interesting. 20-story brick factory buildings, abandoned near the Calumet River.) You can also see the Chicago Skyway from below.

Eastbound from CHI-NYP it will be dark between CHI and if on time, Erie,Pa. Look for the old NY Central Station in Buffalo on the left just before the suburban Depew Stop ( this train doesn't go through downtown for the Exchange Street Station). As has been mentioned the Mohawk Valley, parts of the Erie Canal and the cities of Rochester, Syracuse and Utica should provide some scenery! ( IF on time or early and the OBS allows it(ask) the Utica Station is worth a quick look!

The Train splits in Albany and you might have time to go up into the Station and grab a snack?( no food between ALB and NYP) Again ask!

Westbound: The run up the Hudson as was mentioned ( left side) and the Train runs through the Middle of Sing Sing Prison! When morning comes ( between Toledo and Southbend usually) there is a NY Central Museum on the left IINM in Elkhart, IN and of course the glimpses of Lake Michigan on the right and the Rust Belt Moonscape from Gary to the skyline of CHI as has been said!

Eastbound from CHI-NYP it will be dark between CHI and if on time, Erie,Pa. Look for the old NY Central Station in Buffalo on the left just before the suburban Depew Stop ( this train doesn't go through downtown for the Exchange Street Station). As has been mentioned the Mohawk Valley, parts of the Erie Canal and the cities of Rochester, Syracuse and Utica should provide some scenery! ( IF on time or early and the OBS allows it(ask) the Utica Station is worth a quick look!

The Train splits in Albany and you might have time to go up into the Station and grab a snack?( no food between ALB and NYP) Again ask!

Westbound: The run up the Hudson as was mentioned ( right side) and the Train runs through the Middle of Sing Sing Prison! When morning comes ( between Toledo and Southbend usually) there is a NY Central Museum on the left IINM in Elkhart, IN and of course the glimpses of Lake Michigan on the right and the Rust Belt Moonscape from Gary to CHI as has been said!
Westbound, the Hudson is on the left.

Well, for general interest scenery Amtrak's route guide is pretty useful. For railfan specific items, I'd watch out for the Rock Island overpass (CREATE's masterpiece) in Chicago, the CSS&SB coming and going between CHI and SOB, and some pretty impressive lift bridges at the Calumet River and east of the Toledo station. Someone already mentioned the New York Central museum across the tracks from the Elkhart station and the high bridge in Poughkeepsie. The entire route is an industrial archaeologist's dream - you are passing through the heart of the Rust belt, after all.

Oh, how could I forget Rochester? There's a fairly spectacular view out of the train just west of the station, where it goes over a gorge and a dam. North side is better viewing, but there's stuff to see on both sides.

Railfan specific -- be sure to watch out for Buffalo Central Terminal on the north side of the train, some distance west of Buffalo-Depew.

And Sing Sing Prison is where criminals who were going to be sent "up the river" were headed after convictions in New York City courtrooms.

And Sing Sing Prison is where criminals who were going to be sent "up the river" were headed after convictions in New York City courtrooms.
The Chair (Old Sparky) was kept there until recently when it was moved to Green Haven Correctional Facility in Beekman NY where it patiently awaits its next guest. Several of the classic Gangster movies show the convict being transported to Sing Sing by train, the train stopping in Ossining which is still a Metro North stop today. Of course the tracks do not go through the actual Yard itself; they bisect the prison into 2 isolated halves.

If you're awake, the Toledo station is really cool. Historic platforms and a neat Art Deco station.

You get a little glimpse of the Cleveland skyline as well.as the football stadium right next to the station.

If you're running especially late westbound, you might pass through Sandusky Bay in morning light.

Where about is Sing Sing, along the route? How far from the nearest Amtrak station?
Sing Sing is about a mile south of the Ossining station. The nearest Amtrak station would be Croton Harmon which is a few miles north of the prison.

Oh, how could I forget Rochester? There's a fairly spectacular view out of the train just west of the station, where it goes over a gorge and a dam. North side is better viewing, but there's stuff to see on both sides.

Railfan specific -- be sure to watch out for Buffalo Central Terminal on the north side of the train, some distance west of Buffalo-Depew.
The Buffalo Central Terminal is undergoing restoration: http://buffalocentralterminal.org/

Thanks all, I will look for as much as I can.

Sing-Sing should be interesting. More interesting than passing through the shuttered Joliet Prison on the Southwest Chief.

Thanks all, I will look for as much as I can.

Sing-Sing should be interesting. More interesting than passing through the shuttered Joliet Prison on the Southwest Chief.
You can always put on some Prison Stripes and as the train passes Ossining call out Conductor, you missed my stop!

Olypian-LOL!

All,

I have only been on Superliners, and the layout of the train is generally- sleeper, sleeper, sleeper, dining car, lounge car, coach, coach, coach.

How are the Viewliners laid out? Is there a lounge car?

There is one cafe food car which doubles as a lounge car, but it is on the Boston Section. There may be a New York section one betweent he coaches and the diner, but does not serve food.

Typical consist from Chicago to Albany is 2 loco, baggage, Boston Viewliner bedroom , Boston Coach, Boston Coach, Boston Cafe/lounge, NY coach, NY coach, NY coach, NY coach, NY cafe/lounge (not staffed, seasonal), Diner, NY Viewliner bedroom, NY Viewliner bedroom, baggage. There may be a couple fewer coaches in the winter months. Also, the NY lounge is not always attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back