Eastbound Trip Info

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed it does help! PM sent regarding AGR.

I did know about the disability discount. I've spoken with a couple of very nice booking agents who told me what I need to ask for when making my reservations and once on board.

When I was an owner/operator I hauled containers in and out of rail heads. Just from my own experiences with arrival delays I have a hard time imagining how long they might be for passenger rail since it's the red headed step child.

I've definitely budgeted for Red Caps and don't worry about how long your posts are! I want to learn all I can about my upcoming adventure! Such as:

What are the best sides to sit on and when if disabled seating is available on both sides of the cars? I'm going to miss the Rockies going east. :(

If I manage to get up the stairs whats an appropriate amount of time allotment for sitting in the viewing cars?

I wish Amtrak allowed coach passengers to pay for showers like we did at truck stops but since they don't how long could I get away with being in a bathroom for tidying my "real estate" up?

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay! Made my reservations, brother is going to call later and pay for it, got all the disabled assistance figured out including two cups of hot water to my seat in the mornings! Reservations were $30 cheaper today than they were a few days ago. YAY! I forgot to ask how I get the tix or if I just pick them up when I'm ready to check in the day I board. My printer is broken so that's not an option.

Now to figure out how to creatively pack what I need. Must have cooler! I'm so excited!

Congrats on the cheaper fare and the disability arrangements!

As for the tickets, if Amtrak sent you an e-mail with your rez info, when the tickets are picked up you can just give the agent the rez# and/or your name, pay and go! if its e-tickets, you're set, if paper tickets, they're like cash, safeguard them!

As for sites and which side of the trains to be on, I suggest you goggle up the old trip reports here on AU for your routes, there's a lot of info on this available!

I'm not paying for them. I called and made the reservations with Joyce then my brother will be calling later to pay for them. I haven't received an email yet but I'm assuming that I'll get one after he pays for them.

I'll definitely look up the trip info as well as posting my own experience.

Regarding the Rockies eastbound, it depends on how early a riser you are. If #8 is on time it will arrive in Libby around 5:30 AM. On the date you will travel it will be light enough to see the views from there to East Glacier. For the most part, IMHO the best view from Libby on is on the left side until Essex. From there, again for the most part to East Glacier if you look to your left you will get a particularly spectacular view of a rock and dirt embankment. ;)

As for the Sightseer Lounge, there is no set time limit. I have been in the lounge overnight and have almost always encountered people sprawled over seats asleep. There is no set time for what is appropriate.

As for the use of the bathrooms to freshen up, again there is really no set time. There are several bathrooms downstairs so there should be no problem of having open bathrooms for other passengers' use. When I was in college I learned quickly to use the "splash and dash" approach to cleaning up as there were 25 or so other guys all wanting to use the showers at the same time in my dorm. So whether it's by shower, bath, or cleaning up in a bathroom I get in and get out as quickly as possible. But that's just me; take as long as you need.

Relax and enjoy your trip! :)

There is a Walgreens with ice and goodies about two blocks east of the station on Jackson Blvd. Exit on Jackson then turn left across the bridge. You will see the sign to the left across the river.

There are luggage lockers in Union station.

http://www.chicagounionstation.com/lockers.html
Hmm, I may just skip it. Cab fare and the locker fee will wipe out my last meal budget. I'll try to wing it.
There is also a CVS about 1/2 block away. Go up the main escalator to the Clinton Street exit, and turn right" the CVS is on the opposites corner.

Regarding the Rockies eastbound, it depends on how early a riser you are. If #8 is on time it will arrive in Libby around 5:30 AM. On the date you will travel it will be light enough to see the views from there to East Glacier. For the most part, IMHO the best view from Libby on is on the left side until Essex. From there, again for the most part to East Glacier if you look to your left you will get a particularly spectacular view of a rock and dirt embankment. ;)
LOL, that figures on the rocky view. I'm going to be sitting in what's called a "transfer seat". In looking at some of the floor plans and views of the cars I didn't see where that kind of seating was located, or I missed it. Luckily I'm an early riser but I'm assuming I'll have trouble sleeping being this is my first trip and I'm more used to sleeping in a bed and not a recliner on rails.

As for the Sightseer Lounge, there is no set time limit. I have been in the lounge overnight and have almost always encountered people sprawled over seats asleep. There is no set time for what is appropriate.
It would be nice if I could "camp out" upstairs but I don't think they'd like me moving in up there. I'd need access to my cooler! I'll be good for my first trip and stay downstairs.

As for the use of the bathrooms to freshen up, again there is really no set time. There are several bathrooms downstairs so there should be no problem of having open bathrooms for other passengers' use. When I was in college I learned quickly to use the "splash and dash" approach to cleaning up as there were 25 or so other guys all wanting to use the showers at the same time in my dorm. So whether it's by shower, bath, or cleaning up in a bathroom I get in and get out as quickly as possible. But that's just me; take as long as you need.
Thanks for that info. Hopefully my being an early riser will make it an easy wash up without delaying too many. Luckily I've done some creative traveling before but wanted info from those experienced with rail travel.

There is also a CVS about 1/2 block away. Go up the main escalator to the Clinton Street exit, and turn right" the CVS is on the opposites corner.
That I might be able to manage both with walking and the locker. Is there some form of folding cart that is acceptable on the train?

Tickets are paid for! Now I have to fix my printer! :eek:

Aside from asking about a folding cart of some kind I'm trying to locate some kind of schedule that tells me approximate days/times for stopping at other places. For example; I know I'm leaving Chicago westbound on the Empire Builder on a Sunday at 1415(approx.). What might be the best guess as to the date/time we arrive in Whitefish, MT? I have some e-friends there I'd love to finally meet in person.

Thank you triple C.

Saving links for future reference. I'm assuming I'll be able to pick these up at the station:

Empire Builder

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/117/320/Empire-Builder-Schedule-011215,0.pdf

Capitol Limited

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/919/675/Lake-Shore-Limited-Schedule-040615.pdf

Not sure which one of these Northeast Corridor trains I'll be on in either direction, how can you tell? My eastbound schedule says leaving NYC(Penn) at 9:10pm and if I read these right they both leave at 9:13pm. \o/

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/780/620/Northeast-Corridor-1-Schedule-011215,0.pdf

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/141/170/Northeast-Corridor-2-Schedule-011215,0.pdf

I'm a newb but I'll get over it eventually!

1) Does anyone have any recommendations for some kind of folding cart I can use or would that be considered a piece of carry on?

2) I'm going to go cooler shopping this week. Would you please provide links to the coolers you have taken? I'm really trying to find a decent sized one but most are over about 2" on one side or another.

3) In my post above I have links to 2 different schedules for the NEC, how can I tell which one I'll be on for my trip? I'm a bit dyslexic so the first one was a bit intimidating to look over. I had to stick a straight edge on my monitor.

I'm not sure what they mean by "transfer seat," but I suspect they are talking about the single seat on the lower level of a Superliner, designated for passengers who need wheelchairs. This seat cannot be turned and always faces the door. Depending on the positioning of the car in the train, that means it can sometimes be a rear-facing seat. This bothers some people, so I thought I'd bring it up. Amfleet II coaches have an equivalent seat, nearest the restroom. You may not feel that this seat is essential to your needs. It does give you a single seat without somebody next to you, which can't be guaranteed in other seats.

I don't think I really understand the extent of your physical limitations. You might find it easier to get around and negotiate steps than you expect, although I have no way of knowing. It might be a simple matter of timing your movements to coincide with train stops.

You might want to check with Res. to be sure a Transportation Notice (T.N.) is placed on the crew's manifest for your trains. This gives the crew advance notice that you have physical limitations that might require their help. Your coach attendants on the Builder, Lake Shore, and Capitol should be able to help you by providing meals and getting such things as ice, beverages from the lounge, etc. Talk to your coach attendant at boarding time & develop a working relationship & they will help out. Tips would be appreciated, but they don't need to be budget-breakers for you.

Tom

One more hint on AGR: get the MasterCard if you qualify. I try to funnel most of my purchases through it (and pay in full every month); it can add up pretty quickly.

So far as boarding the Lake Shore Limited (LSL) at Chicago, since you're traveling as disabled you'll have the option of a lift to get you into the train.

I'd sit on the right/starboard side of the LSL: that will give you a window on the Erie Canal and Hudson river.

Bon voyage!

Thanks for mentioning the seat direction OBS. I have vertigo so that might cause a problem and yes they are wheelchair seats. Apparently anyone with mobility impairment is assigned one of those seats. I'm not in a wheelchair but I do use walking aids and no, I cannot do more than a few steps so no going upstairs on the train.

RPC thanks for the tip on which side to sit on!

Other than that I really would like answers for my questions in post #36 and I'm ready to travel!

I really wish cooler manufacterers made a "train size" cooler. I asked about the cart so that if possible I can strap a couple of smaller ones on it if I can't find a decent one on wheels.

On the Lake Shore, you might be able to make it to the lounge or diner if you're located in the coach that is closest to it. That would be nice if you can manage it, so you might want to check with Res. to see just how close you'll be.

Tom

I'm not sure what you mean FormerOBS. If that's the single level car I should be fine. If it has more than a few steps(ex: more than 4) I can't do it. I never said I can't walk, I can't do flights of stairs. Well, walking depends on the kind of day I'm having.

Yes, the Lake Shore has its diner and coach on the same level --- no stairs.

Have you discussed boarding with Reservations? The Chicago station personnel should be made aware of your difficulty with stairs so that they can get you aboard.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back