Easter Travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redsandal

Train Attendant
We just returned from a lovely Santa Barbara trip, although we were on the SWC that had the broken down engines on the way out. The Pacific Surfliner was a bit of a challenge w/ all our luggage, but we managed. Anyway, I am taking the SWC in March and will arrive in CHI on Easter Sunday at around 3:20ish and the LSL doesn't leave until 10 now...what shall I do w/ myself w/ that long layover? What's the earliest I can get on the LSL?

Assuming that you're traveling in a sleeper, the LSL starts boarding around 8:00 to 8:15 PM from the Metropolitan Lounge only. If you're in coach, then I don't think that they start boarding till around 9:30 or so.

Again assuming that you are in a sleeper, upon arrival into Chicago you can check into the Metro Lounge and leave your luggage in the check room inside the lounge. This would leave you free to wander around the city for a few hours, although I'm not exactly sure just what might be open on Easter Sunday.

Assuming that you're traveling in a sleeper, the LSL starts boarding around 8:00 to 8:15 PM from the Metropolitan Lounge only. If you're in coach, then I don't think that they start boarding till around 9:30 or so.
Again assuming that you are in a sleeper, upon arrival into Chicago you can check into the Metro Lounge and leave your luggage in the check room inside the lounge. This would leave you free to wander around the city for a few hours, although I'm not exactly sure just what might be open on Easter Sunday.

I'll be in a sleeper, so good to hear I can get in my room at 8. I had the same idea though..what on earth will be open on Easter Sunday? I would imagine the downtown to be dead as a doornail and I'm not sure I want to wander around by myself.

I'll be in a sleeper, so good to hear I can get in my room at 8. I had the same idea though..what on earth will be open on Easter Sunday? I would imagine the downtown to be dead as a doornail and I'm not sure I want to wander around by myself.
Note that they don't serve dinner on the Lake Shore out of Chicago, so you will have to find dinner either in the station or someplace in Chicago. There is a wine and cheese tasting in the diner-lite car, cider for those who don't like or want wine at that hour. And you can always opt to buy something from the cafe car.

The Sears Tower is always a fun thing to do during a layover --- it's just 2 blocks from the station and would probably be open on Easter Sunday. I think maybe the museums like the Art Institute would be open. If you are a train buff, I'd suggest a ride somewhere --- maybe the Hiawatha or the South Shore Line (boards at station off Michigan Ave. not Union Station)

But as Alan said, store your bags for free in the lounge.

I tend to go to NYC for Easter, to dance with the Bouwerie Boys morris dancers along Fifth Avenue and through Central Park all day. There are enormous crowds of people along the streets and in the park, many dressed in Easter finery and out simply to be out. True even last year in the horrible rainy chilly partly-snowy weather we had.

I suspect Chicago is similar, and that you'll find lots of strolling along the Magnificent Mile of Michigan Avenue (where Sunday always seem to feature throngs of pedestrians and activity in my experience). The Art Institute will be open on Easter and (if it's decent weather) Millennium Park may be well-used. All of that is accessible from Union Station, though you'll probably want to make use of public transit to get there--it's not far, but it's a bit of a walk from the station depending on your stamina. Leaving your luggage in the Metropolitan Lounge makes this far, far more doable.

Of course, Easter is extremely early this year, meaning potentially much colder weather than usual. That may keep people indoors. And I'm basing all of this on many Easters in NYC and many Sundays in Chicago, but no Easter Sundays in Chicago.

Unlike Christmas, almost anything open in and around downtown Chicago on an ordinary Sunday will be open Easter Sunday.

As to downtown being "dead", that depends on what you mean by "downtown". Except for inside the train station, the adjoining bus stops and taxi stands, and the Sears Tower just across the river (as someone correctly recommended), the area right around Union Station is all office buildings and therefore fairly dead on the weekends. However, there would be enough people arriving on Metra (the suburban trains) at Union Station and next door at Ogilvie Station heading for points east -- State Street, Michigan Avenue, Navy Pier, the museums, etc. -- that it's NOT unsafe to wander around alone, at least in a generally easterly direction.

Those areas just named would be plenty busy on a Sunday after, say, 10 or 11 am.

*State Street is 5 blocks due east. Head east on foot on any street crossing the river (if you don't cross the river after a block, you're going the wrong way!), or take any bus headed east on Jackson Boulevard. State Street is the old shopping street, with the big old Marshall Fields flagship store (I refuse to call it Macy's!) and a bunch of discount and moderately-priced shops: Sears Roebuck, Filene's Basement, Nordstrom's Rack, Old Navy, and the like.

*Michigan Avenue is two blocks east of State Street, and reached in the same manner. If you've gone due east from Union Station, you'll encounter the Art Institute at the intersection of Michigan And Adams. Just north of the Art Institute is Millenium Park, a must-see with its large skating rink, public scupltures, etc. Farther north on Michigan Avenue, across the river (Note: the river is north-south in the vicinity of Union Station, but is east-west where it crosses State Street and Michigan Avenue), is the "Magnificent Mile," home of the fancier and trendier stores.

Towards the north end of Michigan Avenue is the John Hancock building, almost as tall as the Sears Tower but (IMHO) with a better view because it's not so closely surrounded by other tall buildings as is the Sears Tower. If you want to go directly to the Magnificent Mile or the John Hancock from Union Station, take a 151 bus from Union Station.

*Navy Pier is the city's biggest single tourist attraction, a long pier with restaurants, shops, an enormous Ferris wheel, Crystal Garden (huge greenhouse-like space), IMAX movie theater, Shakespeare theater, and various other attractions. It's a few blocks east of the Magnificent Mile, or can be reached directly from Union Station on the 124 bus.

*The Museum Campus is at the far south end of Grant Park (the lakefront park that includes Millenium Park and the Art Institute) at the end of Roosevelt Road. The Museum Campus is reachable from Union Station by taking any Jackson Boulevard bus to State Street and then a southbound 146 bus. The museums at the Campus are the Field Museum of Natural History, the Adler Planetarium, and the Shedd Aquarium. The Field Museum is the cheapest and (oddly enough) the largest and busiest of the three. Also, across the street from the Field Museum is Soldier Field. Don't worry if it looks like one of the alien ships from "Independence Day" landed in an old Roman arena; that's just the "improvement" of Soldier Field from a few years ago. :rolleyes:

If you plan on taking a bus, pick up a fare card from the machine next to the Metra ticket office at Union Station. Bus fare is $1.75, with a $0.25 transfer good for two additional trips within two hours of boarding the first bus, but there's NO transfer without a fare card (that is, bus drivers won't sell you a transfer for $0.25 cash). If you plan on taking a lot of buses, consider a $5 all-day visitor pass, sold by the machine next to the fare card machine.

Enjoy the city during your time here!

I'm probably stating what's already been said, but I've taken my family to and from Chicago on day trips simply to ride the train and had to burn 3-5 hours. Our normal pattern is to go to the Sears Tower (walking distance), then to Giordanno's for a late lunch/early dinner (again walking distance). Other times, we've caught a short cab ride to Navy Pier. Both options allow you to spend as much or little time as necessary before getting back to Union Station for boarding.

Thanks everyone for all the info, very helpful! So I guess I'll just see what the weather is doing as Easter IS way early this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back