Eastern vs western long distance trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The preferential treatment of the star over the crescent is curious particularly given prior to the pandemic it was the one operating dinerless and essentially they took them off the crescent and put them on the Star.

I will say though that some of the Amtrak dining is better than pre pandemic also. Traditional dining is substantially better. Flex is what it is….. though I guess I can say the butter cake makes it a little better. 🤣

Now it’s just the two bottled waters left for you in the cabin.
Didn't even get those last week on the Star; I had to ask for them. I suspect my room was previously occupied to Tampa.
I will say though that some of the Amtrak dining is better than pre pandemic also. Traditional dining is substantially better. Flex is what it is….. though I guess I can say the butter cake makes it a little better. 🤣
I still prefer the brownie.

It should be noted (remembered) that the Star ran for quite a while long before Covid without any diner service - they did reduce the sleeper ticked price ... but not by all that much.

It should be noted (remembered) that the Star ran for quite a while long before Covid without any diner service - they did reduce the sleeper ticked price ... but not by all that much.
Indeed which is another reason why it’s curious that the Star is now a priority for dining service enhancement and is favored for VL2 diner assignment over the Crescent. I’ll have to take a closer look at the most recent Star vs Crescent RPA statistics when I get a chance.

Indeed which is another reason why it’s curious that the Star is now a priority for dining service enhancement and is favored for VL2 diner assignment over the Crescent. I’ll have to take a closer look at the most recent Star vs Crescent RPA statistics when I get a chance.
It is very likely that it costs less to provide similar service on two trains on what amounts to the same route when compared to providing such on two different routes. In the former case there are more opportunities to use shared resources than in the latter.

Last edited:
It is very likely that it consts less to provide similar service on two trains on what amounts to the same route when compared to providing such on two different routes. In the former case there are more opportunities to use shared resources than in the latter.
It’s possible that it’s way more realistic to hire Miami based crew vs. NYC, although the crescent could be staffed from New Orleans as well.

At one point I know it was NYC for the diner. Not entirely sure it was still nyc up until 2019.

I recall Crescent dining car crews who were based in New Orleans. I often found the food on the Crescent was a bit tastier and better prepared, even if the menu items were the same as on all the other trains. I put that down to NO being such a center of great cooking, but either way there were a couple of Amtrak chefs on that train who were really good. Shame on Amtrak if it let them go as part of its switch to flex tubs.

As to east vs. west, I do think the eastern trains had some riders who were drawn by the experience, at least before Amtrak decided to gut the dining service and turn those trains into the equivalent of really long plane rides. To me, the Lake Shore Limited route along the Hudson and Mohawk valleys is one of the prettiest rides in the east, and the Boston leg has some great mountain scenery in the Berkshires. People ride the Cardinal to see the New River gorge in WV, and the Capitol has some classic mountain railroading east of Pittsburgh. And from the Crescent, at least going north, you can see the Blue Ridge of Virginia.

That said, it has always seemed to me that the atmosphere on board is completely different between east and west. I used to think it was a holdover from the cultures of the different predecessor railroads before Amtrak. (Most of the eastern trains, after all, were handled by the dreaded Penn Central for at least part of their runs in the pre-Amtrak era.) There is just a more relaxed pacing on the western trains, maybe just because of the duration of the trip and the fact that people are riding much longer distances. On the eastern runs, the crews generally seem more harried and more focused on getting everyone on and off at the next stop. With the possible exception of the Crescent south of Atlanta, riding the eastern trains doesn't feel like a vacation to me -- and it mostly didn't even when the meals were much better.

Last edited:
It definitely could have changed over the years. The diner crews that I had when I was a “regular” on the crescent were based in NYC.

I do agree the crescent had exceptional food for a time!

I think it did change. The crews I'm remembering from NOL would have been in 2019 and going back at least a few years before that -- and maybe back as far as 2008-09, as I remember talking with one of the dining car servers about the lingering damage and disruption from Katrina, which at that point was a few years earlier.

Last edited:
Back