Eastern Walk-up Bicycle Service to Begin on October 26

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakLKL

Lead Service Attendant
Unboxed walk-up bicycle service will begin at all staffed stations as follows. All trains limited to six bicycles. Passengers will present their unboxed bicycles in person at the baggage car and claim them at the baggage car.

Begins October 26:

• Carolinian 79/80 - No charge between Raleigh and Charlotte. $20 between Raleigh and NYP,
  • Palmetto 89/90 - $20 per bike.
Begins November 2:

• Silver Star 91/92 - $20 per bike. No local service between Cary and Raleigh.
  • Silver Meteor 97/98 - $20 per bike.
Begins November 9:

• Crescent 19/20 - $20 per bike. No local service between Greensboro and Charlotte.

Any more details? The only new service shown on the bike policy page at Amtrak.com is the Capitol Limited.

What are future plans? LSL? Cardinal? Superliner trains? What is it with NY state and bikes? They continue to get the shaft.

From the list it seems obvious that the new baggage cars are being used, unlike the CL.

I've got a DEN - MIA trip planned for January and then move around Florida. It looks like I'm covered except DEN to CHI.

Any more details? The only new service shown on the bike policy page at Amtrak.com is the Capitol Limited.

What are future plans? LSL? Cardinal? Superliner trains? What is it with NY state and bikes? They continue to get the shaft.

From the list it seems obvious that the new baggage cars are being used, unlike the CL.

I've got a DEN - MIA trip planned for January and then move around Florida. It looks like I'm covered except DEN to CHI.
Yes this pilot involves using the bike racks in the baggage cars. No idea as to future plans.

$20 is a ripoff, but otherwise this is outstanding news! Did they say anything about taking reservations?

Finally, progress.

There are additional target dates for a few other trains through Spring 2016 on trains that are not equipped with bags. This includes converted Amfleets and NCPUs. One of them should be ready soon though. Remember, a lot of this is dictated by agreements with the involved states. These things can take time to work out. That is why certain trains will carry bikes to some destinations but not others.

$20 is a ripoff, but otherwise this is outstanding news! Did they say anything about taking reservations?

Finally, progress.

They will all require reservations.

Finally, progress.
Reservations will be required since space is limited and there is a fee associated.

This is $5 cheaper than buying a bicycle box ($15) and checking your bike ($10) now, and you don't have to disassemble the bike to fit in a box. Win-win, no?

Finally, progress.
Reservations will be required since space is limited and there is a fee associated.

This is $5 cheaper than buying a bicycle box ($15) and checking your bike ($10) now, and you don't have to disassemble the bike to fit in a box. Win-win, no?

No. It's not good enough. I mean, people have to ride their bike up to the train, wait for it to stop and load their bikes while paying $20. For that price, the trains should slow down, a ramp should drop and they can board on the fly....at other than a train station.

Additionally, the OBS crew should lube the chain and check the tires,

A rip off indeed.

This is excellent progress. Once the LSL has bike service (yes making assumptions) I will almost certainly use it.

Heck if they add it to any other Empire Service trains I'll definitely use it! $20 is a bit higher than I'd like, but well worth it.

Really hoping that the New York and New England trains get roll-on bike service soon. I know it will be used heavily.

The LSL already has *two* baggage cars and opens one at all stations, so it would be a good start.

I would expect particularly strong bicyclist demand on the Adirondack, and on both Vermont trains.

Last edited by a moderator:

No. It doubles the ripoff. $15 for the box is reasonable, given the opportunity cost and the fact it's a nice box. Requiring the box in the first place is idiotic and $10 for the privilege of checking it is pure bureaucratic greed, when you can check something that's just as awkward and even heavier for free, so long as you call it luggage.

Now it's $20 to check something that'll be even easier to stow, since there's a specially built rack for it. It's luggage, and shouldn't be treated any differently.

Not complaining about the reservation requirement - makes sense on an LD train. The predictability that goes along with it is a benefit.

I'm completely satisfied with the service on California trains and thruways (and every transit agency, bus and train, here). No extra charge for bringing your bike on board, at any stop along the line. Reservations are required on routes where it makes sense. Long distance trains shouldn't be any different.

I'm completely satisfied with the service on California trains and thruways (and every transit agency, bus and train, here). No extra charge for bringing your bike on board, at any stop along the line. Reservations are required on routes where it makes sense. Long distance trains shouldn't be any different.
You are looking at a state supported corridor where the state tells Amtrak what they can and cannot charge for and provides the necessary funds to support "free" services. North Carolina has free walk-up bike service, but the two long distance trains running through the NC Piedmont corridor will not permit walk-on bike service between NC stations. I believe this is to limit confusion regarding charges and push bike users to the state trains thus keeping bike space available for long-distance through passengers.

The long distance trains do not receive state support, Congress hasn't legislated free bikes like they did with guns, and there is a cost to providing walk-on bicycle service. The hooks were purchased and must be maintained. Surely Amtrak is permitted to recoup some of their investment? Each bike also reduces available space to store regular baggage and express shipments. There is an opportunity cost there.

Maybe you should go see what airlines charge to check a bike. Better sit down if you think $20 is a rip-off.

Nothing on Amtrak is free. When I buy a ticket, I'm buying a set of services (albeit supplemented by my tax dollars), which I might or might not fully use. A bicycle hook is not exotic equipment. It's simple hardware – standard on trains and buses elsewhere – no different than luggage racks, seats or locks on bathroom doors. One of the services I'm buying is the ability to check two pieces of luggage, with an option to check two more for $20 each. A bicycle is just another piece of luggage. With the hooks, it's no more of a burden or opportunity cost than a suitcase.

You're confusing state subsidies with state policies, which recognise the utility of allowing bikes and the unnecessary and artificial distinction between a bike and other luggage. That utility includes increased ridership and revenue. It's a benefit to Amtrak's business and a benefit to the public, both of which states seem to value more than Amtrak management does.

So: what's it like checking a bike on an airline [speaking of rip-offs]?
In the U.S., hell. With few exceptions U.S. airlines charge extortionate fees to check bicycles, which must (and, really, should) be boxed. But U.S. airlines charge extortionate fees for regular luggage too. They do it because they can.

On the other hand, there's a fair amount of competition in the airline business. Alaska treats boxed bikes as a piece of luggage, and Virgin's pricing isn't as bad as the big carriers. So I fly those airlines when I can.

Flying overseas is a different matter. For example, EVA includes two checked bags in your ticket price, one of which can be a bike, and Air NZ treats boxed bikes as a piece of luggage. Auckland airport even has bicycle workstands just outside of international arrivals, where you can assemble your bike in comfort. Not all international carriers have the same policies, but enough do that there's a fair choice.

If you're saying Amtrak's long distance bike policy is justified because airlines do the same thing, well, okay. That's a poor standard though. A better comparison is California trains – Amtrak and otherwise – and buses.

That's what I thought, too. Hell. I think Amtrak is quite generous when it comes to baggage allowance, including bikes. Gee, I wish I was in good enough shape to be biking again! :lol:

Nothing on Amtrak is free. When I buy a ticket, I'm buying a set of services (albeit supplemented by my tax dollars), which I might or might not fully use. A bicycle hook is not exotic equipment. It's simple hardware – standard on trains and buses elsewhere – no different than luggage racks, seats or locks on bathroom doors. One of the services I'm buying is the ability to check two pieces of luggage, with an option to check two more for $20 each. A bicycle is just another piece of luggage. With the hooks, it's no more of a burden or opportunity cost than a suitcase.

You're confusing state subsidies with state policies, which recognise the utility of allowing bikes and the unnecessary and artificial distinction between a bike and other luggage. That utility includes increased ridership and revenue. It's a benefit to Amtrak's business and a benefit to the public, both of which states seem to value more than Amtrak management does.
I would certainly hope my checked bike is NOT treated like other luggage.

If I saw my bike sitting on a baggage cart with 20 other boxes on it and then picked up and tossed into the baggage car I'd be livid.

With an unboxed bike, they're hopefully going to wheel it by hand onto the car, put it into the rack and secure it in place so it doesn't fall and nothing falls into it.

It's certainly more of a handling burden. And there's a limited number of racks available. So if they can't fill them, they'll probably lower the price. If they fill them, then they're doing their job.

According to the OP, it's up to the passenger to wheel the bike to the baggage car and hand it up, and the reverse when getting off. That's an excellent way to do it, IMHO. The only thing that would be better is if I could hang it on the rack myself, but I can see the problem with that.

Once you hand it up, all they have to do is put it on the rack. It's easy. It's different, but doesn't require any more effort than lifting and stowing a suitcase that might weigh 20 or 30 pounds more than a bike. And there's nothing they need to do with it in the station or trackside. On the whole, it's less work.

That's what I thought, too. Hell. I think Amtrak is quite generous when it comes to baggage allowance, including bikes. Gee, I wish I was in good enough shape to be biking again! :lol:
Compared to big U.S. airlines, you're absolutely right. The ability to take walk up bikes is a competitive advantage that Amtrak should try to maximise.

Hope you can get out and try a little ride -- before you know it, you will be in shape :)

Well, it would be nice if it was free... but frankly, Amtrak is always cash-starved, and should therefore charge what the market will bear. If the bike reservations will fill up at $20 each, I say Amtrak should do it and use the money to expand service.

If Amtrak finds that the $20 is acting as a deterrent and the bike racks are not filling up routinely, then Amtrak should lower the price, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back