eb connection to cl

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yarrow

Engineer
far ne washington state, 1/2 mile from canada
8/28 is doing better arriving chi lately. maybe around 2-4 hours late. i understand the cl isn't supposed to wait for the eb due to the track work on the cl route. i understand if the eb is very late you are lodged in chi and put on the next day's train. has anyone had experience as to what happens if the eb misses the connection by an hour or so? hotel in chi, bussed to catch the cl at one of its stops or what? thanks

8/28 is doing better arriving chi lately. maybe around 2-4 hours late. i understand the cl isn't supposed to wait for the eb due to the track work on the cl route. i understand if the eb is very late you are lodged in chi and put on the next day's train. has anyone had experience as to what happens if the eb misses the connection by an hour or so? hotel in chi, bussed to catch the cl at one of its stops or what? thanks
If you are a coach customer----then it's not a big deal (if you have the time) to be put up overnight by AMTRAK. However, if you have a sleeper, you risk loosing your sleeper the next day. My 2-cents.....stay overnight in CHI if you have a sleeper, to ensure that you retain it.

I've come into CHI late from West Coast before, as a coach customer, and was put up overnight (with a voucher from AMTRAK) - can't remember the Hotel (it was a while ago), but, it was very nice (very close to station and Sears Tower....I remember that).

John

What they do is very heavily dependent on your final destination.

First, you'll pretty much never be bused from Chicago to catch up to the Capitol Limited (or Lake Shore Limited), as the train will generally outrun the bus (unless the train is delayed enroute; granted a very realistic possibility, but not one to count on when you're trying to have a couple dozen passengers catch up to it).

Second, if you're headed to WAS, you could be put on the Lake Shore to NYP, and then transferred to a corridor train. Third, if you're not headed past CLE, then you'll definitely be put on the Lake Shore (assuming, of course, that the Lake Shore is running, and that you weren't so late that you miss it).

If the Lake Shore is not a possibility for whatever reason, then your most likely result is a hotel and a ticket for the next day.

I've been dealing with the same question concerning the CONO which I will be leaving on in a another week. In my case, I have decided to stay overnight in Chicago and head down the next evening. While the EB has improved and not quite as tardy, I still want the peace of mind that I will have a sleeper.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back