EB,CS and CZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetSue

Train Attendant
My husband and I are planning a two week trip leaving from Chicago in September. We'll be renting a car once in California to see Yosemite and then family near LA, or see the family first then go to Yosemite. We want to take the EB and CS and also the CZ. Considering sunrise and sunset, which would be the best way for us to go so that it will be daylight so we can see the best scenery? I was hoping to go in May since the sun sets later but that isn't going to happen. Should we go EB, CS and come back CZ or go CZ and come back CS and EB? Thanks for your help.

If you go on the EB westbound, around Glacier Park may be in darkness, but The Columbia River Gorge will be in daylight. If you go on the EB eastbound, it will be just the opposite. If you go on the CZ westbound, the area just west of Denver will be in daylight. Eastbound, it may be dark.

My husband and I are planning a two week trip leaving from Chicago in September. We'll be renting a car once in California to see Yosemite and then family near LA, or see the family first then go to Yosemite. We want to take the EB and CS and also the CZ. Considering sunrise and sunset, which would be the best way for us to go so that it will be daylight so we can see the best scenery? I was hoping to go in May since the sun sets later but that isn't going to happen. Should we go EB, CS and come back CZ or go CZ and come back CS and EB? Thanks for your help.

Just my Opinion here but the CZ Westbound has much better scenery then it does Eastbound and the EB is better eastbound then west. But i love riding in the mountains and your mileage my vary. In May, you may still get most of the Front Range west of Denver in daylight Eastbound but Westbound, its guarenteed (unless you're 15 ish hours late of course)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you travel in September -

EB e/b:

From SEA> You have the first hour going along Puget Sound where you are likely to see shipping and ferries. If clear you'll also see the Olympic Mtns to the west, and Mt. Baker going to Everett. From there you'll get in most of the westside of Steven Pass in. The next morning with the PDX segment connected, you enter Glacier Nat'l Park during breakfast.

From PDX> The first hours after leaving VAN will be going along the Columbia River where you will see tugs pulling barges, dams, and Oregon and I-84 on the other side, possibly Mt. Hood.

EB w/b:

To SEA> East part of Glacier Park about sunset. The next morning between Wenatchee and Everett, it will be dusk on the westside of Stevens Pass, daylight along Puget Sound.

To PDX> The morning after SPK, you will spend the whole morning along the Columbia River.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back