EB - Lateness Problems This Summer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two weeks ago I fearlessly predicted that the EB would run much closer to the schedule after Labor Day.

Not quite Labor Day yet - but the OTP gets better and better.

Perhaps next summer will be even worse than the last one, but for now most connections will be made, probably until nest tourist season.

That's how it goes, that's how it's gone these many years.

Solutions to the problem -- don't have any.

And now, over the Labor Day weekend the latest EB is about an hour late, and the rest are nearer on-time.

So, this is a good as it gets. But the EB has been and likely will be the most popular train on the system.

Next summer could be worse. Hope the track improvements help at least a bit.

I'll ride the EB again anytime I get a chance to - and support whatever track upgrades might help. Here in MSP, it's the only train there is.

And now, over the Labor Day weekend the latest EB is about an hour late, and the rest are nearer on-time.
An hour late (5 PM) is acceptable as all connections can be made. The Pere Marquette, the earliest of the connections, leaves Union Station at 5:20.

Reporting from train 7. We were an hour late at GPK last night but have made up the time and will be early into SEA this morning.

Edit: Arrived at SEA 9:54 am - 31 minutes early!! -- even though they had to back into stub track 4 at King Street.

One of the OBS people got on the PA to ask for a round of applause for the conductors and crew: "this is the first time we've been early into SEA all summer!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reporting from train 7. We were an hour late at GPK last night but have made up the time and will be early into SEA this morning.

Edit: Arrived at SEA 9:54 am - 31 minutes early!! -- even though they had to back into stub track 4 at King Street.

One of the OBS people got on the PA to ask for a round of applause for the conductors and crew: "this is the first time we've been early into SEA all summer!"
i'll add my applause. we are going spk-chi on 9/11 returning on 9/18. sure hope the otp holds

If I was a member of the operating crew I'm not sure I'd be so happy about an OBS person giving them credit for the early arrival. The connotation is that the same

people must have been responsible for the train's lateness on other occasions, when that generally isn't the case.

But I do understand the sentiment, though.

If I was a member of the operating crew I'm not sure I'd be so happy about an OBS person giving them credit for the early arrival. The connotation is that the same

people must have been responsible for the train's lateness on other occasions, when that generally isn't the case.

But I do understand the sentiment, though.
Agreed, although one of the conductors actually got on the air to thank them. I guess everybody was in a cheerful mood :)

honestly when it comes to Superliner Long distance train services I definitely dont mind being late 3, 4 or even 5 hours unless I got a connection to catch.

Pleasant train experience with making new friends. More time to do it.

honestly when it comes to Superliner Long distance train services I definitely don't mind being late 3, 4 or even 5 hours unless I got a connection to catch.
Therein lies the basic problem with late arrivals! Most travelers have a connection to make or people to meet upon their timely arrival.

honestly when it comes to Superliner Long distance train services I definitely dont mind being late 3, 4 or even 5 hours unless I got a connection to catch.

Pleasant train experience with making new friends. More time to do it.
If I don't have to make connection and I get more train time, sure, but ONLY if we do not sit in the same spot for hours and hours.

Seattle-Chicago train was zero percent on time in July

Amtrak's Empire Builder cross-country train has had epic lateness this summer.

By Ellen Creager

Detroit Free Press

EAST GLACIER PARK, Mont. — Someone needs to help Amtrak's Empire Builder. The train route has been suffering many years from Amtrak's budget woes — but this summer, train disruptions have been epic.

During July, the eastbound No. 8 train from Seattle to Chicago had a zero-percent on-time record and was usually late by at least three hours. The westbound No. 7 train had a dismal 16 percent on-time record.

I arrived in WFH yesterday evening only 35 minutes late--and ALL of that was due to BNSF slow orders on track in MT. Now I see that today's #8 EB left SEA 2 1/2 hours late this evening--this after arriving 38 minutes early this AM--sounds like some significant mechanical issues to cause that much of a delay--bummer, the EB just cannot put two good trains together in a row. I did see yesterday that the EB arrived in Chicago "on time" for the first time this summer a couple days ago in CHI--so there is hope!!!

I believe both of the Democratic Senators from Montana have been Amtrak supporters. I believe that the Republican Representative from Montana has been hostile to Amtrak, though I haven't checked recently.

Are you basing your "belief" on facts, or just based on what you assume to be the political leaning of the senators and the representative?
I've checked the record of both Senators quite recently, but as for Denny Rehberg, I only have vague memories to go on and I may be confusing him with a previous Representative from Montana.

NONE of the MT Congress people have put their money where their mouth is. I live here and have spoken "live" with my two Senators in the past, and while they both professed support for Amtrak, neither has done anything to help, which is frustrating, since the EB plays such a vital link to the high line. I have written to them both asking for them to take action and did not even get a reply from Baucus. Tester's reply was a canned "I support the people of MT" letter-it didn't even mention the train!!!

:-((

I believe both of the Democratic Senators from Montana have been Amtrak supporters. I believe that the Republican Representative from Montana has been hostile to Amtrak, though I haven't checked recently.

Are you basing your "belief" on facts, or just based on what you assume to be the political leaning of the senators and the representative?
I've checked the record of both Senators quite recently, but as for Denny Rehberg, I only have vague memories to go on and I may be confusing him with a previous Representative from Montana.

March or June? I have reservations for the EB June 6 and June 12 in 2013 from WI to Seattle. After reading this thread and checking the status almost daily the past few weeks, I was wondering if changing our plans to the last week of March would be 'better'. IOW are we less likely to face the 11-13 hour delays that seemed to be so prevalent this summer, especially on the eastbound EB. Granted the lateness on the retrun trip wouldn't be so bad, but our time in Seattle is already limited. I bought the tickets in July and the price for next June has already gone up $150 one way, indicating it will be pretty busy. So for those who have rode during those times of the year, what would you recommend? TIA

I take the EB sometimes twice a month and June is a very busy month, both for passenger loading and "challenges" on the high line--flooding, track maintenance, et. al. all contribute to delays. The shoulder seasons are often the best times to travel. The one plus is, assuming flooding hasn't shut down the service, the EB still arrives in SEA fairly close to on schedule going west due to the "fluff" in the schedule after leaving Whitefish. It's the return trip that can often be several hours late.

The weather in SEA is much nicer in June than it is in March BTW.

March or June? I have reservations for the EB June 6 and June 12 in 2013 from WI to Seattle. After reading this thread and checking the status almost daily the past few weeks, I was wondering if changing our plans to the last week of March would be 'better'. IOW are we less likely to face the 11-13 hour delays that seemed to be so prevalent this summer, especially on the eastbound EB. Granted the lateness on the retrun trip wouldn't be so bad, but our time in Seattle is already limited. I bought the tickets in July and the price for next June has already gone up $150 one way, indicating it will be pretty busy. So for those who have rode during those times of the year, what would you recommend? TIA

I take the EB sometimes twice a month and June is a very busy month, both for passenger loading and "challenges" on the high line--flooding, track maintenance, et. al. all contribute to delays. The shoulder seasons are often the best times to travel. The one plus is, assuming flooding hasn't shut down the service, the EB still arrives in SEA fairly close to on schedule going west due to the "fluff" in the schedule after leaving Whitefish. It's the return trip that can often be several hours late.

The weather in SEA is much nicer in June than it is in March BTW.

Agreed. Also, as far as problems on the route go, I think winter may actually have big problems as well.

Definitely a case of "buy your ticket, take your chance." There can just as easily be a derailment or major grade-crossing accident

involving a freight train in March as in June. I took the EB in June of this year from SEA to GFK and was just 30 minutes late. From

my observation I was in the minority in terms of not experiencing a major delay, but the point is there's just no way of knowing

what you'll get. If June works in every other aspect for you, then I'd say just go for it. You'll certainly have far more daylight hours

in which to enjoy the view in June than in March.

Looks like the delays are cropping back up in MT and ND again. The EB's heading east appear to be chugging along A-OK until eastern MT or ND and then slowdowns--I have noticed three days in a row #8 has lost around 3 hours on the schedule during this stretch, arriving in Chicago around 2.5 to 3 hours late each day. This really makes a mess of connections. Bummer. At least the westbound EBs look like many are arriving in SEA and PDX fairly close to on time. I wonder why the difference? The temps certainly are no factor any more-with day times mostly in the 60's and 70's on the high line.

This is a telling tale:

Long Distance trains arrived ar Chicago Union Station today as follows: #4 - 27 mins early #6 - 8 mins early #8 - Reported leaving Milwaukee 4 hrs, 7 mins late. #22 - 33 mins early #29 - 23 mins early #49 - 30 mins late #851 - 1 min late #58 - 27 mins early

The poor stepchild is the Empire Builder--#8 arrived in Chicago 3 hours and 55 minutes late. BTW--Tomorrow's #8 is already well over 2 hours late, so stay tuned.

This is a telling tale:

Long Distance trains arrived ar Chicago Union Station today as follows: #4 - 27 mins early #6 - 8 mins early #8 - Reported leaving Milwaukee 4 hrs, 7 mins late. #22 - 33 mins early #29 - 23 mins early #49 - 30 mins late #851 - 1 min late #58 - 27 mins early

The poor stepchild is the Empire Builder--#8 arrived in Chicago 3 hours and 55 minutes late. BTW--Tomorrow's #8 is already well over 2 hours late, so stay tuned.
Wow, great OTP for all the other trains, good news anyway. Some trains may need some reduced padding.

The eastbound EBs are routinely losing between 2 and 3 hours in eastern MT each day because of ongoing BNSF track work. I noticed today the westbound EB also was delayed in the same general area for 3 1/2 hours. Does anyone know how much longer this track work is going to continue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back