EB Service Disruption

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AferVentus

Train Attendant
Looking for our train 8 departure tomorrow out of WFH (the 1st), it says service disruption. I know yesterday's had a service disruption, too. I wonder if the train went to SPK and turned around there. Do people think it will still be departing at a reasonable time? Twitter just said a freight is disabled, but doesn't specify where. I'm a bit worried it may be cancelled. Other's opinions?

Right now train #8(31) is expected to originate in Spokane. As of now it should leave SPK on-time at 1:30am PST.

Right now train #8(31) is expected to originate in Spokane. As of now it should leave SPK on-time at 1:30am PST.
Any reason to be worried about #28(1)? Or is this issue only affecting #8 btw SEA and SPK?

Train #28(1) will originate with #27(30)'s equipment. That train is currently somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 hrs late in North Dakota. At this point it's too early to say, but normally, 4 hours late 7/27 doesn't delay the initial departure much if any of #8 or #28.

Any reason to be worried about #28(1)? Or is this issue only affecting #8 btw SEA and SPK?

Train #28(1) will originate with #27(30)'s equipment. That train is currently somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 hrs late in North Dakota. At this point it's too early to say, but normally, 4 hours late 7/27 doesn't delay the initial departure much if any of #8 or #28.
I was on the Westbound Empire Builder that left Chicago on the 30th. We got into MSP at 11:40pm about an hour late. We lost 30 minutes between Winonan and Red Wing because we had to let three, yes three CP freights go through. Now if that's a violation of allowing Amtrak to go first then I don't know what is. We left Chicago on time and got hung up in Milwaukee for some reason. I've never left Milwuakee on time going both east or west. Don't why. Maybe they just don't give a crap at Milwaukee and figure it's break time or something.

A disabled freight train near the Glacier Park Station has delayed Empire Builder Train 7 originating on December 29 (Chicago – Portland/Seattle). As a result, Train 7 will terminate in Spokane with alternate transportation provided for passengers between Spokane and Portland and Spokane and Seattle.

In addition, Train 8 of December 31 will originate in Spokane, with alternate transportation provided for passengers to Spokane from Portland and Seattle.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for schedule information and train status updates.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Alert_C&pagename=am/AM_Alert_C/Alerts_Popup&p=1237608345018&cid=1248543077496

I'm sure that BNSF is having trouble putting anything through the Hi Line. It's another snowy winter on the high plains.

The money quote is "The North Dakota Department of Transportation ordered its snowplows off the road due to the conditions." In North Dakota those are words to conjure with. I've already heard murmurings about Red River flooding in the spring with all this snow, but at this point who knows what the spring melt will be like?

We are stuck in WFH right now. 8 is cancelled but will be turning around and turning into 7 tonight. They're looking into alternate transportation for us now - we were going to MSP.

#7(1) and #7(2) out of Chicago are now canceled due to the blizzard in western MN/eastern ND. The blizzard is supposed to end tonight, but I suppose they want to have time to get equipment in position and give BNSF a day to move their backlog of freights. I was booked on #7(1) from St. Paul to Portland; I'm now on #7(3), with a guarantee to be on the first westbound departure in the event of additional cancellations.

Mark

I'm curious to get an insider's opinion as to why all EB trains are canceled and returning to their endpoints as of now. The blizzard that has raged for the past three days across ND/MN is ending, and all roads should be open by this evening. So there is no reason to think that the #8 annulled in Whitefish would have had difficulties crossing the northern plains tomorrow.

Currently we have #7(31) annulled at Fargo (equipment failure?) and tacked to the rear of #8(30) headed for Chicago. The train that was #7(29) is sitting in Chicago, currently not scheduled to depart as #7 until Monday. #7(30) made the split in Spokane and will be arriving Portland/Seattle about 4-5 hours late today. #8(31) was annulled at Whitefish and, per AferVentus, will be returning to Seattle/Portland as 7/27 tomorrow. So as of noon tomorrow, three trainsets will be sitting in Chicago and two in Portland/Seattle, with none en route.

Did something happen on BNSF that the tracks are blocked, or did they request a window with no Amtrak to get freights moving?

Mark

According to the depot, BNSF shut down the line - they said something like 60 freights were sitting on the tracks. They said they wouldn't take people out there. We then heard that the train is full until the third. We let them take bags and we are taking a delta flight out of Missoula at 215. I wonder when bags will be delivered... Some people that were going to Williston said they called friends and the roads are open there. Also, no Alternate transportation is available today or tomorrow. This was my family's first round trip ride - I know it is better to play it safe, but I hope we get a voucher to let us travel in the future.

Update from the Portland end of things:

28(1) is running as far as Whitefish.

28(2) may run to Whitefish, but definitely not beyond.

28(3) may run to Whitefish, but definitely not beyond.

Yes, they've already decided that far out, as per the Portland station manager.

Someone (AGR?) had already rebooked us from 28(1) to 28(2) by the time we got to Portland, but that was before 28(2) had been officially canceled.

Amtrak gave us a room at the Crowne Plaza for tonight plus per diem $$.

We're now looking at options, along with one other couple from the Coast Starlight sleepers we'd met at meals; they're trying to get back to near St. Paul.

We're coming up with all kinds of ideas:

* fly out of Portland on the 2nd? to ...

** Boston, and then 449 to SPG?

** New York area, and then NEC to SPG?

** Chicago, and then 448(4) to SPG (our original reservation)?

OR...

* space available, take 11(2) to the Bay Area and fly from Sacramento, SFO, OKJ, or SJC to either Boston or New York?

Right now we're pricing all the flight options. Waiting it out in Portland indefinitely isn't an option, unfortunately: I love this city, but we do both have work on the 5th.

Fly to Denver and then catch the Zephyr to Chicago.
But we'd miss the best scenery! :eek: :)

But seriously, there are so many options... flying from SeaTac, PDX, Sacramento, Bay Area, or maybe even LAX, to Boston, New York, PHL, BWI, Washington... or Chicago, Salt Lake, Denver, San Antonio... at this point, we're on the hotel shuttle, with two nights paid for by Amtrak. Amtrak has had STELLAR customer service for us. They're willing to rebook us on just about anything; we just have to figure out what works best for us.

First of all, good luck on your trip back. While you're in Portland don't forget to go to 1) Voodoo Donuts, 2) Stumptown Coffee, and 3) a MacMenamin's outpost. We're fond of the Kennedy School (who can't love a hotel in a converted elementary school with 5 bars where the brewery is in the girl's bathroom?), but there are lots of other options.

Second, if you're a better person than I, you probably didn't want to call up that agent in Los Angeles and tell him that transferring luggage from the Coast Starlight to the Empire Builder is the least of your troubles.

But I would.

First of all, good luck on your trip back. While you're in Portland don't forget to go to 1) Voodoo Donuts, 2) Stumptown Coffee, and 3) a MacMenamin's outpost. We're fond of the Kennedy School (who can't love a hotel in a converted elementary school with 5 bars where the brewery is in the girl's bathroom?), but there are lots of other options.
We'll see how much we have time for :) I lived here for a month in 2008 (and took the Builder out and back) and really grew quite fond of the city. Stumptown's the only one of those three that I've done, though. So I'll look into the others :) Also, Powell's, riding MAX, and ... well, if we decide to tarry for a whole day, maybe the zoo. Too bad the rose garden's probably not much to see this time of year.

Second, if you're a better person than I, you probably didn't want to call up that agent in Los Angeles and tell him that transferring luggage from the Coast Starlight to the Empire Builder is the least of your troubles.

But I would.
Ha! :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, the thought did occur to me, as I observed that several of the other eight 14-28 passengers had bags checked 14-28 which they were able to pick up at PDX to take to the hotel. For what ever reason, I got the one grumpy agent at LAX who really didn't know her stuff...

... but really, if a grumpy, ill-informed baggage agent (who eventually did check my bags through to my final destination just as I'd asked) is the worst of my troubles, I'm doin' pretty well :)

We'd brought a couple spare sets of clothes in our carry-on bags what with four nights in roomettes on the original itinerary, and there's a laundry room for hotel guests at the Crowne Plaza, so we're really in fine shape for several extra days even without our larger bags.

And hey, $80 in cash from Amtrak will buy us, what, like ten lattes in Portland? :D

(Compared to ... eight hundred cups of coffee at Philippe's, at a dime each!!!)

Thanks to a much appreciated phone call from "Ispolkom" this afternoon... I'm planning to head to the Glenview station (I'm down in Illinois visiting the parents this weekend) around 11PM tonight (1/1/11) to see the combined #8 and #7 roll through with its 6 locomotives and 22 Superliner cars... should be quite a sight. I am hoping to get some pictures and post them on the forum tomorrow sometime. It will be dark so I am not expecting any great shots... but will be fun to see it. Thanks again Ispolkom... you rock!

Anyone know whether #7(3) (Monday departure from Chicago) is still a go? I'm tentatively re-booked on that train from tonight's #7(1) out of MSP. It sounds like at this point the issue is less weather (blizzard is over, no more trouble in the forecast) but gridlocked freights. Per the Trainorders board, there are something like 97 BNSF freights that need to get moving.

Fly to Denver and then catch the Zephyr to Chicago.
But we'd miss the best scenery! :eek: :)

But seriously, there are so many options...

Amtrak has had STELLAR customer service for us. They're willing to rebook us on just about anything; we just have to figure out what works best for us.
For those keeping score at home, we decided we both really had to hold up our promises to show up at work on Wednesday, but we found a routing that maximized our time on trains, minimized our time on planes, and minimized our additional out-of-pocket expenses quite nicely.

I spoke with the Portland Stationmaster this morning who said he was personally seeing to this and would make sure Guest Rewards covered all of our Amtrak travel under the original redemption. (The plane is, of course, our additional expense.)

So, let's see, how does it balance out?

POSITIVES:

a lovely hotel and dinner in Portland

half a day to see Portland

another ride in the Parlor Car

a bedroom on the Starlight

a surprise opportunity to see a friend in Mountain View

lounge access in Boston Tuesday morning

a bedroom on the Lake Shore

arriving in Springfield a few hours earlier than we'd originally planned

... where our checked bags should be waiting for us, since they went out on the Southwest Chief :)

NEGATIVES:

one JetBlue non-stop red-eye flight, SJC-BOS ... which was somehow only $260 on one day's notice

Does it suck that we're each out an extra $260? Yeah, it kinda does. If we could've spared an extra day or two, we would've, both to save money and to enjoy the additional days on the train! And Amtrak would have been very willing to make that work, too.

But there are a lot of positives here, and I think they far outweigh the negative. Most importantly, several Amtrak agents have been absolutely magnificent at handling this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck on your flight. At this point we are going to wait for Amtrak. We are booked on tomorrows train, If it runs. The Amtrak staf has been great. I may miss a couple extra days of work. I can do much of it on the phone. One way or another we will get home to Superior WI.

Good luck on your flight. At this point we are going to wait for Amtrak. We are booked on tomorrows train, If it runs. The Amtrak staf has been great. I may miss a couple extra days of work. I can do much of it on the phone. One way or another we will get home to Superior WI.
hi Kim! Glad you found the forum -- it's a great resource, before, during, and after travel :) And good luck with the Empire Builder. Portland is a great city to be "stranded and distressed" in, so long as you've got the schedule flexibility as you do, and I'm sure the station staff will continue to take good care of you.

We had time for Tiny's coffee (roasted by Stumptown), a shopping trip to Powell's, and two rides on the MAX light rail there and back again. Short but sweet visit.

Will

We are in the St. Paul area (staying with family, luckily). We're slated to depart tomorrow out of MSP. Let's hope for on-time departures, assuming it's all running. We're going to call, since the website isn't giving much info (status calendar appear to not be working).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back