EB Travel Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PRae_Train

Service Attendant
I'm flying to Seattle in late August, staying a week, returning home on EB 8 and LSL. This will be my first time on EB and I'm looking forward to it, though it looks like I may be in for adventures. Since it's the return trip (and I'm retired), more time on the train doesn't bother me, except if I miss the connection, would they be able to get me the roomette on the LSL.

One thing I could wish for is on the issue of food.

Whenever I've had the chicken dinners (which I love), I've always had more than twice as much chicken as I can eat. It would be nice if they could serve me the dark meat while it's hot at dinner, and refrigerate and prepare the white meat in a cold sandwich for lunch the next day.

I don't suppose they would do it (I will not be able to carry a cooler), and this only occurred to me when reading notes here about running out of food when there are lengthy delays, and rumors of bringing in KFC (ugh!) to supplement.

Thoughts?

Thanks again to all who contribute so much to these forums.

I'm flying to Seattle in late August, staying a week, returning home on EB 8 and LSL. This will be my first time on EB and I'm looking forward to it, though it looks like I may be in for adventures. Since it's the return trip (and I'm retired), more time on the train doesn't bother me, except if I miss the connection, would they be able to get me the roomette on the LSL.

One thing I could wish for is on the issue of food.

Whenever I've had the chicken dinners (which I love), I've always had more than twice as much chicken as I can eat. It would be nice if they could serve me the dark meat while it's hot at dinner, and refrigerate and prepare the white meat in a cold sandwich for lunch the next day.

I don't suppose they would do it (I will not be able to carry a cooler), and this only occurred to me when reading notes here about running out of food when there are lengthy delays, and rumors of bringing in KFC (ugh!) to supplement.

Thoughts?

Thanks again to all who contribute so much to these forums.
1) If you miss your connection in Chicago, they will only be able to rebook you in a roomette on the LSL if one is available. That is, they won't bump an exisiting reservation for you. If you have the opportunity, you probably want to contact Amtrak early if it looks like you're going to miss the connection. Sometimes the early bird gets the bedroom.

2) I agree that the chicken dinner is enormous, but no, they won't save left-overs for you. What you suggest is a good idea, though. I remember that when I was on the Canadian we had roast beef and asparagus for dinner one night, then hot beef sandwiches and asparagus soup for lunch the next day.

KFC does sound nasty, but it might be better than the infamous Dinty Moore stew emergency meal. I've never gotten either on late trains, so far (now I've doomed myself).

Thanks. So true about availability of roomettes, and it only makes sense. I've been through that twice, where either Amtrak or I changed the date of the LSL portion of my trip, and I had to go coach.

For the meal, I know they can't save food specifically for me, but if smaller portions were offered at dinner I would think some could be saved (thinking also of the awesome steak) for cold lunches, as a better option than KFC or other outside source.

I agree that they could serve less, but many want more. Just look at the current thread about the amenity cuts. And do you remember the uproar when I forget if it was Amtrak or some airline offered 1 less tomato in the salad? :huh:

I'm not suggesting that Amtrak downsize meals in general, but if it can be practical to offer an OPTION to those who might prefer to have smaller portions when they know they cannot eat it all, especially when it could mean conserving food during long delays.

The Healthy Choice Offering on the Dinner Menu is low in Calories, High in Taste and the Portions are about half of the other Dinner Choices! Same thing with Breakfast, the Continental Breakfast is plenty of food and you can skip the bread too!

I often skip the Rolls, the Starches and even the Desert if eating a Regular Menu item when I'm on a LD Trip!

I concur. By day #2 I often skip the desserts and enjoy the usually very good continental breakfasts in the morning!

I do have to have at least one Angus Burger per trip though. Just wish they could cook it medium instead of cremated.

:))

Dude, I wish land restaurants would figure out when I say 'Extremely Rare' I don't mean medium well. I mean I want red liquid dripping on my plate when I bite into it, just on the very very near side of raw at the center.

Dude, I wish land restaurants would figure out when I say 'Extremely Rare' I don't mean medium well. I mean I want red liquid dripping on my plate when I bite into it, just on the very very near side of raw at the center.
I pictured an actual lion writing that post; it just about made my day. :)

(When you can't beat 'em, join 'em.)

What I'm not seeing on the EB menu is a salad entrée at lunch. I usually like to have a substantial breakfast, and salad for lunch to save calories for the great dinners.

I think that the LSL, CZ and SWC all offer lunchtime salad entrees.

Since my second cancer surgery my eating habits have changed drastically. I was always the short fat kid, 4'8 240 in 6th grade. After my last surgery I have dropped almost 115 lbs. They had to knife seriously on my jaw, indeed one of the pre-surgery warnings was I might not be able to eat, that now I can only open my jaw about an inch and a half. Combined with the fact the right side of my face from my ear to my chin is numb, I often have to use a finger to push food over to the left side to chew. The days of the two big macs are long gone, but the most frustrating thing is how LONG it takes me to eat. I normal serving takes up to an hour to eat. This has done wonders for my cardio vascular health, however I truly struggle to maintain my weight - and even though they left my feeding tube in,,, I have no desire to return to the four cans of surrogate Ensure per day. I also lost my ability to eat "hot" so my Giardiniera mix days have passed as well, The burger may be over cooked, but I am just glad to eat it. Life at 185 is very different, but it is life. For that I am truly grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the bottom line here is that there seems to be very little "real cooking" done aboard Amtrak trains. I have often had veg of which half is warm, half is just above frozen. I think most of the food seems to be convenient "heat and serve" rather than much cooking skill displayed. Steak has to be "cooked" but how much care and attention it receives is anyone's guess!

So, standard portions with little customer options and maximum potential waste, even the plates themselves get thrown out!

Ed :cool:

When I was on a very late EB they did cut food portions and we were hungry. It sucked. Bring snacks no matter what is now my motto.

We had dinty Moore and KFC on that trip.

(When you can't beat 'em, join 'em.)

What I'm not seeing on the EB menu is a salad entrée at lunch. I usually like to have a substantial breakfast, and salad for lunch to save calories for the great dinners.

I think that the LSL, CZ and SWC all offer lunchtime salad entrees.
You need to call Amtrak and complain about the lack of an entree salad at lunch. This used to be available on all trains, and is now available on none.

It was removed in one of the recent rounds of idiotic customer service cuts. I have already called and complained. This is one of the really, really stupid cuts made by really, really stupid people at Amtrak.

That does seem to be really a dumb move. On my last EB trip in May the entree salad was still on the menu and at least one person each lunch time at my table took the salad. I would have thought this item would have been a no brainer for Amtrak to keep.

Oh, well......many decisions made by the powers that be don't appear to be sound ones these days..... C'est La Vie'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back