EC LD train consists

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donctor

Conductor
The Lakeshore has been expanded (restored) over the past year, thus requiring more cars. Did this cause any other train to lose cars? I know that the diners weren't pulled from another train for the LSL, but where is that fourth NYP Amfleet II coming from?

What are the current consists for the Meteors, Crescent, and Cardinal?

The Crescent is as such:

P42, P42 or Dash-8, Heritage Baggage, 4 Amfleet Coaches, Amfleet Cafe, Heritage Diner, 2 Viewliner Sleepers.

As I under stand it the Silvers are basically the same with the Meteor sometimes having 3 sleepers.

The Crescent and Silver service consists are basically interchangable. I've ridden a lot of Crescents with 90 series train numbers still posted in the car windows. The Cardinal is one train I have no knowledge; basically I have no interest in riding it from some of the trip reports on this site. Other than scenery there apparently is a lot lacking on board.

Last night when the Cresecent and one of the Silvers rolled through Alexandria they were pretty much as described above and on time, too.

Don't you love the weasel term "heritage?" That is: OLD!!!

The Crescent and Silver service consists are basically interchangable. I've ridden a lot of Crescents with 90 series train numbers still posted in the car windows. The Cardinal is one train I have no knowledge; basically I have no interest in riding it from some of the trip reports on this site. Other than scenery there apparently is a lot lacking on board.
I believe the Meteor generally has 3 Viewliners, the Star only 2. The LSL of course has 2 New York Viewliners and Boston Vieliner. The Cardinal has a single Viewliner. The Viewliners do get shuffled at Sunnyside, since they do have to find their way down to Hialeah for maintenance. The Boston Viewliner actually gets shuffled onto the Cardinal or the LSL for forwarding from new York to Hialeah via one of the Stars for maintenance. Also incidentally, it appears now that the New York section of the LSL is pretty close to interchangeable with either the Crescent or the Star.

The Lakeshore has been expanded (restored) over the past year, thus requiring more cars. Did this cause any other train to lose cars? I know that the diners weren't pulled from another train for the LSL, but where is that fourth NYP Amfleet II coming from?
Now, there are only two odd consists leaving New York. The Cardinal and Silver Meteor.

Cardinal: 3 AMFII Coach, AMF II Diner/Lounge, Viewliner sleeper.

Silver Meteor: H-Baggage, 4-5 AMFII Coach, AMFII Diner/Lounge, Heritage Diner, 3 Viewliner Sleeper.

The rest of them consist of:

1 H-baggage

4 AMF II Coach

1 AMF II Diner/Lounge

1 H-Diner

2 Viewliners.

On the Lake Shore, it is on the trail, on the others it is in the lead. And the Silver Meteor is just a Crescent or Silver Star with a third Viewliner tacked on. I'm pretty sure all four trains inter-line. Its a simple operation to swap the ends of the last car or tack one car onto the end of the train.

Now, there are only two odd consists leaving New York. The Cardinal and Silver Meteor.

Cardinal: 3 AMFII Coach, AMF II Diner/Lounge, Viewliner sleeper.

Silver Meteor: H-Baggage, 4-5 AMFII Coach, AMFII Diner/Lounge, Heritage Diner, 3 Viewliner Sleeper.

The rest of them consist of:

1 H-baggage

4 AMF II Coach

1 AMF II Diner/Lounge

1 H-Diner

2 Viewliners.

On the Lake Shore, it is on the trail, on the others it is in the lead. And the Silver Meteor is just a Crescent or Silver Star with a third Viewliner tacked on. I'm pretty sure all four trains inter-line. Its a simple operation to swap the ends of the last car or tack one car onto the end of the train.
I'm not sure what the "it" is to which you are referring (which is on the trail or the lead).

However, you also don't note that the Lake Shore does not have a lounge leaving New York (thus making it another "odd" consist). The Lake Shore's lounge runs to/from Boston (and is often a Horizon dinette).

I'm not sure what the "it" is to which you are referring (which is on the trail or the lead).
I believe that the "it" is the baggage car, as it's on the bottom of the NY section, since the Boston section's is on the head end.

However, you also don't note that the Lake Shore does not have a lounge leaving New York (thus making it another "odd" consist). The Lake Shore's lounge runs to/from Boston (and is often a Horizon dinette).
Of course I don't mention that it doesn't have a lounge... because it does!

Westbound from Albany, the Lake Shore Limited runs thus:

1. GE P42DC (BOS)
  2. GE P42 DC (BOS)
  3. Heritage Baggage (BOS)
  4. Viewliner Sleeper (BOS)
  5. Horizon Food Service (BOS)
  6. Amfleet II Coach (BOS)
  7. Amfleet II Coach (BOS)
  8. Amfleet II Coach (NYP)
  9. Amfleet II Coach (NYP)
  10. Amfleet II Coach (NYP)
  11. Amfleet II Coach (NYP)
  12. Amfleet II Diner/Lounge (NYP) - Not staffed.
  13. Heritage Diner (NYP)
  14. Viewliner Sleeper (NYP)
  15. Viewliner Sleeper (NYP)
  16. Heritage Baggage (NYP)

So the Lake Shore only sells food out of one lounge car, but it carries two.

The Lake Shore carries one lounge, and it goes to Boston. Recent personal experience and current Arrow consists indicate so.

Of course I don't mention that it doesn't have a lounge... because it does!

Westbound from Albany, the Lake Shore Limited runs thus:

1. GE P42DC (BOS)
  2. GE P42 DC (BOS)
  3. Heritage Baggage (BOS)
  4. Viewliner Sleeper (BOS)
  5. Horizon Food Service (BOS)
  6. Amfleet II Coach (BOS)
  7. Amfleet II Coach (BOS)
  8. Amfleet II Coach (NYP)
  9. Amfleet II Coach (NYP)
  10. Amfleet II Coach (NYP)
  11. Amfleet II Coach (NYP)
  12. Amfleet II Diner/Lounge (NYP) - Not staffed.
  13. Heritage Diner (NYP)
  14. Viewliner Sleeper (NYP)
  15. Viewliner Sleeper (NYP)
  16. Heritage Baggage (NYP)

So the Lake Shore only sells food out of one lounge car, but it carries two.
Lion;

Looks like it would be more sensible to pull the lounge out of BOS on the tail end so that all NYP and BOS coach pax have an equi-distant walk to the working lounge. I rode the last Viewliner out of BOS the last time it ran (before they cut it off for a few years) and the lounge was always on the rear out of BOS. Biggest gripe I hear is the BOS sleeper pax trying to make it to the diner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode the LSL NYP-CHI in early March and there were in fact 2 cafe/lounge cars, with (as GML said) only the Boston car open for service.

The Lake Shore carries one lounge, and it goes to Boston. Recent personal experience and current Arrow consists indicate so.
Interesting. When did this change? I saw the LSL recently and it definitely had two. Is it possible that the AII lounge is listed as something else? Or was that car (actually, all three of them) recently removed?

Also, what's happening with 8400?

The Cardinal is one train I have no knowledge; basically I have no interest in riding it from some of the trip reports on this site. Other than scenery there apparently is a lot lacking on board.
You'd be missing out, Amy and I had a great time on the Cardinal - the food was really quite excellent, the half-diner was never more than half full, and the scenery was great. Going from the Cardinal to the Empire Builder I really don't think that anything was lacking, servicewise.

I rode 448 and 449 and the lounge was on the back of Boston section. I walked through 2 coaches to get to it.
Right. The question is whether the New York section also has a lounge (an unstaffed one).

You are simply wrong.
Funny how you're trying to tell me what I saw on a train that I rode. Perhaps you'll tell me what I had for breakfast this morning as well. Or maybe, since you know absolutely everything, you can tell me the car number of the Amfleet lounge that's going to NYP on tonight's 48.

Dude, I am friends with some people who work Sunnyside, and I know what the train is supposed to run with out of it from the horses mouth. Perhaps your train had a bad ordered lounge, but normally, the Lake Shore Limited departs New York with an Amfleet II diner/lounge that is not staffed.

These are what I understand the current consists to be:

Cardinal

AEM-7 or HHP-8 [NYP-WAS]

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Café/Diner

Viewliner Sleeper

Crescent

1 or 2 AEM-7 or HHP-8 [NYP-WAS]

Heritage Baggage

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Café/Lounge

Heritage Diner

Viewliner Sleeper

Viewliner Sleeper

Lake Shore Limited

P42 [bOS-CHI]

P42 [bOS-CHI]

P32 [NYP-ALB]

Heritage Baggage

Viewliner Sleeper

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Coach

Horizon Café/Lounge

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Coach

Heritage Diner

Viewliner Sleeper

Viewliner Sleeper

Heritage Baggage

Silver Meteor

Heritage Baggage

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Café/Lounge

Heritage Diner

Viewliner Sleeper

Viewliner Sleeper

Viewliner Sleeper

Silver Star

Heritage Baggage

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Café/Lounge

Heritage Diner

Viewliner Sleeper

Viewliner Sleeper

Dude, I am friends with some people who work Sunnyside, and I know what the train is supposed to run with out of it from the horses mouth. Perhaps your train had a bad ordered lounge, but normally, the Lake Shore Limited departs New York with an Amfleet II diner/lounge that is not staffed.
On 4/21, 4/22, 4/23, and 4/24, it left Chicago without one. Interestingly enough, 28006 was in the Boston section on 4/22.

On 4/21, 4/22, 4/23, and 4/24, it left Chicago without one. Interestingly enough, 28006 was in the Boston section on 4/22.
Oh really? I must talk to my friend, perhaps there has been a change this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back