Economic Downturn and Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanno

OBS Chief
What is the opinion of forum members regarding the impact of the serious economic downturn (recession) on Amtrak business.

What is the opinion of forum members regarding the impact of the serious economic downturn (recession) on Amtrak business.
Well obviously it is going to hurt it a lot as far as passenger loads. But, given the sorry state of Amtrak's equipment it's an opportunity to catch up on some maintenance. Since Amtrak is a ward of the Government, how it fares depends on how much money it ultimately gets to spend. The Government may decide it has other priorities or it may see Amtrak as something that creates jobs. Who knows.

Well obviously it is going to hurt it a lot as far as passenger loads. But, given the sorry state of Amtrak's equipment it's an opportunity to catch up on some maintenance. Since Amtrak is a ward of the Government, how it fares depends on how much money it ultimately gets to spend. The Government may decide it has other priorities or it may see Amtrak as something that creates jobs. Who knows.

Major portions of that of course may be determined in part on Nov 4th 2008

Bob

Major portions of that of course may be determined in part on Nov 4th 2008
Unlikely, since both parties involved have said they support the current situation, and nobody sees any change in the legislative branches. Its a sad irony that neither will likely bring any change, but that is oddly a good thing for Amtrak.

Lots of people ride Amtrak for different reasons.

I ride daily as part of my commute because it saves me money.

Others ride amtrak to avoid airline hassles, or perhaps they have no other way to travel (ie no car).

Those types may increase, but those who use train travel for vacations, or for business travel, but then lost there jobs, those will decrease.

There must be a dataset somewhere showing what the primary reason for riding Amtrak is? I know I've participated in those surveys before.

A lot of Amtrak's passenger increases were "blamed" on high oil prices.

IMHO, the very dramatic and totally unexpected drop in oil prices, is going to hurt Amtrak more than simply the general economic recession/depression. Potential passengers will return back to their cars for their vacation travel.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. We used to take our car on 6000+ mile trips around the country every year for 5 years, but then Katrina hit and gas has never recovered (we also had an old dog who sadly left us, but we publically said it was the gas) and my dad's afraid of not having a car (don't ask, I'm still working on him) but he's talking about this summer going somewhere with our car. I'd like to do Amtrak of course and have ever since I learned how to pronounce it!

Our only hope is that the "terminally stupid ******s" known as the "tsa" make things so bad for airline passengers that it just isn't worth the hassle any more.

A lot of Amtrak's passenger increases were "blamed" on high oil prices.
IMHO, the very dramatic and totally unexpected drop in oil prices, is going to hurt Amtrak more than simply the general economic recession/depression. Potential passengers will return back to their cars for their vacation travel.
Oil prices are going to fall during a recession. Spec. investors are afraid to be in teh market and they dumped their crude- then OPEC needed to figure out a way to keep up demand. Economists knew that gas prices would drop-

But this is only temporary, once the recession is over gas prices will be back with a vengence.

I think Amtrak will retain a lot more of its passengers. Its a nice thing on top of saving money.

Various posters keep making digs at air travel To be fair, the two flights I took a few weeks ago mentioned in my Travelogue report ( Washington, DC to Port Jervis, New York ) were nothing to complain about. I was not too keen on riding a redeye flight Phoenix-Atlanta-Washington itinerary in coach, but it really wasn't bad. Delta provided good, on time service - maybe not high class, but no complaints. US US Air, on the nonstop return Newark- Phoenix was also satisfactory, in spite of their less than stellar reputation. I passed on paying for meals, having deliberately had a decent lunch in an airport hotel at Newark. Also, while I have been annoyed with security procedures in the past and have seen them overlook things like a pocket knife I had on me, I realize they have a job to do, and the procedures were carried out very efficiently on this trip.

I am getting a little far afield of Amtrak discussion here, but may I offer this travel observation about Los Angeles Airport. In late August I made a short rountrip Flagstaff-Los Angeles San Francisco. ( insufficient time to take the train, which I have done previously. ) The dining facilities between flights at Terminal 2 at LAX left somethinhg to be desired. The only halfway decent restaurant was a crowded, noisy sports bar. Next time I will put up with going through security again and walk over to the International terminal in the next building, which offers much more varied dining options. A standard Heritage dining car would also be preferred. <_<

I think Amtrak will retain a lot more of its passengers. Its a nice thing on top of saving money.
I concur. Afterall, airlines have not shown that they are willing to lower their prices.
How can they lower their prices when their prices are already pretty low? Jet fuel hasn't exactly declined in price nearly as much as Unleaded has over last few weeks. If anything airlines still need to raise prices to keep up with how much it actually costs to fly.

Various posters keep making digs at air travel

Also, while I have been annoyed with security procedures in the past and have seen them overlook things like a pocket knife I had on me, I realize they have a job to do, and the procedures were carried out very efficiently on this trip.
The last time I took a plane, I was traveling with my, then, 3 yo. I was pulled out of the security line for "random" additional screening (I guess Italians are their watch list?). I was taken to a private area/room, but was required to leave my 3yo alone, and unattended.

Sorry, but air travel deserves every single "dig" they get, and then some. No exceptions. :angry:

Various posters keep making digs at air travel

Also, while I have been annoyed with security procedures in the past and have seen them overlook things like a pocket knife I had on me, I realize they have a job to do, and the procedures were carried out very efficiently on this trip.
The last time I took a plane, I was traveling with my, then, 3 yo. I was pulled out of the security line for "random" additional screening (I guess Italians are their watch list?). I was taken to a private area/room, but was required to leave my 3yo alone, and unattended.

Sorry, but air travel deserves every single "dig" they get, and then some. No exceptions. :angry:
I've been through airports where security is crazy... Witchita for instance, however some airports make security look like a joke to them. It also depends on the time of your travel...

Pulled out of the security line because your Italian? Interesting. Secondary screening selection does not involve getting "pulled out of the security line". I'd be curious to hear the details. Then your three year old was left alone and unattended? Even more interesting. If that is true, you should have filed a formal complaint with the TSA. It violates procedures.

My personal experience with TSA is actually pretty positive.

Last edited by a moderator:
but was required to leave my 3yo alone, and unattended.
Aloha

Hate to be the one saying this, but who ever decided to leave a 3 yr old unattended for even 1 Minute should lose their job. Totally irresponsible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back