eggs for breakfast?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckles

Train Attendant
I noticed that breakfast offers scrambled eggs and omelettes, made on board, but there is no 'eggs any style' option.

May I conclude from these data that the 'eggs' are poured from a food service container rather than from the shell?

I noticed that breakfast offers scrambled eggs and omelettes, made on board, but there is no 'eggs any style' option.
May I conclude from these data that the 'eggs' are poured from a food service container rather than from the shell?
Except on the Empire Builder, where real in-shell eggs are used, I would wager quite strongly that the answer is "yes."

Boy, I miss those eggs made to order. Had some over medium eggs (the white is done and the yellow runs) on the Floridian in 1979 rolling north through Birmingham. Had some on other runs more recently, but from what I've seen lately, it's scrambled or nothing. Well, I guess I will just enjoy my scrambled eggs and be thankful we still have dining cars!

I find it very ironic that this "is bad for you", "you could get sick I'm this","this could injure you, so it must be recalled"' etc... Yet years ago, those things were never heard. And we're still here! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it very ironic that this "is bad for you", "you could get sick I'm this","this could injure you, so it must be recalled"' etc... Yet years ago, those things were never heard. And we're still here! :eek:
Most of that is to prevent litigation, but also...life expectancy has increased almost seven years in just the 30 years I've been alive so... Yeah. It was bad for you and you could get sick and it could injure you and there are less of you still here than there could have been!

We are still here to complain, but what about those who aren't here to complain?

Most of that is to prevent litigation, but also...life expectancy has increased almost seven years in just the 30 years I've been alive so... Yeah. It was bad for you and you could get sick and it could injure you and there are less of you still here than there could have been!
Modern factory egg farms in recent years have been the source of salmonella outbreaks. The conditions are far more conducive towards transmission. In addition to that, the cartoned liquid eggs are Pasteurized.

Except on the Empire Builder, where real in-shell eggs are used, I would wager quite strongly that the answer is "yes."
No need to be sad -- haven't you heard that they invented a breed of chicken that lays cardboard box containers instead of shells, so we can still get 'dem natural eggies sunny side up, down, sideways, whatever!

:p

All full service dining cars (so not the Cardinal) cook scrambled eggs fresh to order starting with real eggs. If you don't believe me.. Ride in a single level diner and wath them scramble the eggs for yourself. I have... Many times this year. (For that matter I can hear it even when I don't have a seat facing the kitchen).

There is a small risk for Salmonella infection from undercooked eggs
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/checkup/2010/02/is_that_right_egglands_best_ar.html
This basically only happens with eggs from poorly-treated "battery farm" hens. (Or if you fail to rinse off the eggs before breaking them.) What's happening is that all eggs end up covered in chicken feces, which is likely to have salmonella. The salmonella, however, *cannot go through the eggshell*.

...unless you have malnourished, mistreated "battery farm" hens, who sometimes produce extremely thin eggshells. And then, in a few instances -- still very rare! -- the salmonella has made it through the eggshell.

Buy eggs from free-range chickens with enough calcium in their diet; if you're used to battery-farm eggs, you'll notice how thick and strong the shells are. Most farmers already clean off the eggs before sale. (You'll know if you have unrinsed, straight-from-the-chicken eggs, because they'll be visibly dirty. Rinse them.)

I don't know what sort of eggs Amtrak uses for its full-service dining car eggs -- probably cheap battery-farm eggs -- so I do order them well-cooked from Amtrak. But when I'm at home or going to restaurants that buy good eggs, I definitely don't worry about it.

Note that this thread was last posted to in March of this year.

From #7's menu (but on other Amtrak menus as well):

"All fresh eggs are pasteurized and sourced from cage free suppliers"

I'm reviving this thread because I was looking at the Empire Builder's menu and noticed that 'Eggs - any style" is no longer an option! :angry2: Anyone know when this happened? I distinctly remember having eggs 'over easy' on the EB in May of 2011...

Amtrak has stated on their menus for a while that they source their eggs from "cage free suppliers," and the USDA says in-shell pasteurized eggs may be used 'safely' without cooking.

So anyone know what gives? :huh:

Are you people serious? No wonder there is another post (thread?) for fat people. Who cares about the eggs? Get on the train and enjoy the ride.

Note that this thread was last posted to in March of this year.

From #7's menu (but on other Amtrak menus as well):

"All fresh eggs are pasteurized and sourced from cage free suppliers"

I'm reviving this thread because I was looking at the Empire Builder's menu and noticed that 'Eggs - any style" is no longer an option! :angry2: Anyone know when this happened? I distinctly remember having eggs 'over easy' on the EB in May of 2011...

Amtrak has stated on their menus for a while that they source their eggs from "cage free suppliers," and the USDA says in-shell pasteurized eggs may be used 'safely' without cooking.

So anyone know what gives? :huh:
In practice, at least on the eastbound they'll cook the eggs "to order". At least as of last month, as I had my eggs sunny side up.
Are you people serious? No wonder there is another post (thread?) for fat people. Who cares about the eggs? Get on the train and enjoy the ride.
Yes, because talking about the food on the train automatically means we're all fat. Glad I'm now enlightened.

Getting salmonella from undercooked eggs is probably more of a 'risk' than people getting their toes chopped off because they didn't wear shoes walking between cars.

Yes, because talking about the food on the train automatically assumes we're all fat. Glad I'm now enlightened.
No wonder it takes 2 or 3 locomotives to pull all those fat people on the train! :eek:

In practice, at least on the eastbound they'll cook the eggs "to order". At least as of last month, as I had my eggs sunny side up.
There IS hope! :p

That's right. Do away with the diner and cafe and just install vending machines, 'cause the only thing that matters is being on the train. :wacko:

And we are damn serious. :eek: Always. :rolleyes:

BTW I think there are just a few threads here at AU about the overly self-rightous who ride Amtrak. :giggle:

I believe, it has a lot more to do with ease of preparation, than risk of salmonella....Ihop, Denny's, Waffle House, Cracker Barrel, etc etc has managed to provide cooked to order eggs with the simple notation on the menu that undercooked eggs pose a risk. I don't think Amtrak did this to reduce liability, as much as reduce lost waste when they're cooked wrong, and get breakfast out faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back