El Paso Burrito Lady

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the TO Post is true this is another example of idiotic thinking by Amtrak Management, especially since Amtrak doesn't own the Station, Platform or Tracks in El Paso! UP owns the tracks and ROW and the Municipal Transit System owns the Station and has their HQS inside. Amtrak rents space in the waiting room, they are just a tenant!

Say it ain't so Joe!

I can tell you that she was told to leave and operate out of the parking lot. From the way the station crew talk Amtrak had nothing to do with it.

April 8, 2014 started at breakfast in the dining car and news from the crew that the burrito lady was no longer allowed on the platform in El Paso. 2:30pm arrival in El Paso and no burrito lady. I pass thru here every three months and really look forward to some good burritos. Shame on you Amtrak for not allowing your passengers a break from the bland and expensive train menu. From now on I'll be packing meal bag instead of eating in the dining car.

One of the few remaining bright spots on the Sunset Limited route is kicked off property for no obvious reason and all some folks can contribute is random sophomoric humor. Sad day down Mexico way.

Last edited by a moderator:
*shrugs* You guys shouldn't talk about things that Amtrak would prefer to get rid of.
don't understand your comment. above you say that amtrak, since they don't own the station at elp had nothing to do with the decision. though other sources say amtrak requested her removal from the platform. in any event, your comment is above my head as i don't see what it means. there are some of us on this forum who mourn the removal of vestiges of regional flavor from the trains

Is she just off the platform and relocated to the car park or is she gone for good? Considering ELP is an extended stop it should not take long to find her if she has just moved back a ways.

So what's the current situation? Is she back, in the parking lot, or gone to good? Passing through on a 2 day trip a little over a week from now, burritos would be a refreshing break from Amfood. Anyone passed through lately?

An entrepreneur, hard work and good food. What is not to like in this? I hope she is back and making good money by selling great burritos. I really hope Amtrak didn't shoot itself in the foot and ban her. One of the great things about train travel in Asia and Russia are the kiosks selling food, from smoked whitefish to curried rice, some of it is really good.

Maybe they've been getting complaints about the OBS's "odor" after the El Paso stop. :eek:
Well if that is the case then it does not help that the conductor lets everyone know that the burrito lady is on the platform and even lists off the items that she sells. On my trip in January, the conductor announced our stop in El Paso and then introduced the burrito lady. I bought one!

I didn't see her going into or out of El Paso in May.
Same here. Reports appear to be correct. The burrito lady has apparently been kicked off the premises and banned from coming back. Years of tasty food at a good price that put frozen AmChow to shame. I guess somebody didn't like seeing her there and now she's gone for good.

I had wanted to sample the Burrito Lady's wares during my HOS-LAX-SEA-WFH trip in April (even though I had a sleeper and the meals which go with it), but I found out along the way that she had been run off the property. Bummer.

Makes me almost afraid to speak about another vendor selling (perfectly legal) refreshment of a kind you can't purchase aboard Amtrak, who was plying her wares at a crew change stop along the way, which I shall refrain from naming lest she be run off as well. But if you happen to be aboard the train, and mention to your attendant how you are ardently longing for a Coca-Cola, he might advise you as to which stop you may find this enterprising young lady....

Yet, amtrak crews go out if their way to promote the store vendor at GJT on the CZ route - even notung that you can purchase food types not sold on the train. So perhaps the burrito lady was being challenged because she didn't pay rent to the Amtrak masters?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Yet, amtrak crews go out if their way to promote the store vendor at GJT on the CZ route - even notung that you can purchase food types not sold on the train. So perhaps the burrito lady was being challenged because she didn't pay rent to the Amtrak masters?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
The station is owned by the city. She probably got into some heat with the city.

So is she gone now or just moved? Going through there on the SL next week and I've heard so much about her and her burritos.

So is she gone now or just moved? Going through there on the SL next week and I've heard so much about her and her burritos.
The burrito lady was back on the platform as of a couple months ago. She was even announced on the train just like in the past. Unfortunately the burritos were thinner and less tasty than before. I got one of each type and wasn't able to finish either.

Back