Elderly discriminated against?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caravanman

Engineer
On Amtrak.com, If one tries to book a coach seat from Chicago to Emmeryville on 12th Nov, the regular price is $142 but if a lower level seat is selected, shown as the SAME PRICE, the seat cost jumps to $221! I am stunned that Amtrak can get away with such blatant discrimination, and that disabled pressure groups don't demand an end to it.

Ed. B)

On Amtrak.com, If one tries to book a coach seat from Chicago to Emmeryville on 12th Nov, the regular price is $142 but if a lower level seat is selected, shown as the SAME PRICE, the seat cost jumps to $221! I am stunned that Amtrak can get away with such blatant discrimination, and that disabled pressure groups don't demand an end to it.Ed. B)
On the screen before it shows the $142 for the lower level seat and only jumps up when you go to the next step. Could be a glitch in the system. A phone call to an agent might solve the problem.

Accessible seating and accommodations are only available by calling Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL. Accessible seating and sleepers can not be purchased over the internet.

While some of the lower level seats are reserved for those with mobility problems, the rest of the lower level are sold to anyone who would like to purchase them.

Copied From AMTRAK.COM:

Making Reservations for Accessible Space

How to Make Reservations

Presently, we do not offer the ability to reserve accessible space on Amtrak.com. Instead, please make reservations for accessible accommodations through any of the following means:

By telephone: Please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245). Agents are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

By TDD/TTY: Please call 1-800-523-6590. Agents are available from 5 am to 1 am EST, seven days a week.

At an Amtrak ticket counter: Ticket agents at staffed stations can sell tickets during regular ticket office hours. Please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) for details.

When Reservations Are Required

To ensure that you get the space and accommodations you require, you must make a reservation for each of the following:

Wheelchair space

Transfer seats (for when you travel in a seat and stow your wheelchair)

Accessible sleeper accommodations

We require that you make reservations for such accommodations on all trains, including on "unreserved trains" (on which reservations for ordinary seats are not required).

Accessible space is limited. Please make your reservation as far in advance of travel as possible.

On Amtrak.com, If one tries to book a coach seat from Chicago to Emmeryville on 12th Nov, the regular price is $142 but if a lower level seat is selected, shown as the SAME PRICE, the seat cost jumps to $221! I am stunned that Amtrak can get away with such blatant discrimination, and that disabled pressure groups don't demand an end to it.Ed. B)
On the screen before it shows the $142 for the lower level seat and only jumps up when you go to the next step. Could be a glitch in the system. A phone call to an agent might solve the problem.
Agreed, there is something wrong there as the seat is priced at $142, but then something goes wrong when you actually select it and price things out.

All that said, guest is correct. If you are elderly or handicapped, then you should call Amtrak for the special seats reserved for passengers who fall into one of those two catagories. The seats sold online are for anyone, not specifically for those who are elderly or handicapped.

I have a temporary knee injury, and find climbing stairs painfull. As a regular Amtrak train user, I knew low level seating was available on some trains. Trying to reserve a comfortable lower level seat on the web shows a massive unexpected fare rise. I would not be able to produce any medical documents to book a "reserved for disabled" seat, but it would be nice to know whether the unannounced low level seat price increase is correct.. funny how these "glitches" don't produce a cheaper seat anytime!

Ed B)

A couple of years ago, I had the same experience where the lower level was more expensive than the general reservations. I'm not in a wheel chair either, but have a bad knee and bad lungs, making going up stairs very hard one or two times, but impossible after that.

I wrote a letter to Amtrak and complained about the higher price for lower level, but did not receive a reply. I, too, feel they are discriminating against the handicapped.

Also, I feel that at least some of the lower level seats should be set aside for handicapped passengers, with or without wheelchairs.

I don't know why a person who is capable of going up the stairs with no problem would want to sit on the lower level anyhow. The view isn't as good for one thing. Another thing is the handicaps often involve personal issues and, as any train attendant can tell you, the lower level area sometimes has a far less-than-pleasant aroma.

If I had any choice in the matter, I'd chose the upper level.

A couple of years ago, I had the same experience where the lower level was more expensive than the general reservations. I'm not in a wheel chair either, but have a bad knee and bad lungs, making going up stairs very hard one or two times, but impossible after that.

I wrote a letter to Amtrak and complained about the higher price for lower level, but did not receive a reply. I, too, feel they are discriminating against the handicapped.

Also, I feel that at least some of the lower level seats should be set aside for handicapped passengers, with or without wheelchairs.

I don't know why a person who is capable of going up the stairs with no problem would want to sit on the lower level anyhow. The view isn't as good for one thing. Another thing is the handicaps often involve personal issues and, as any train attendant can tell you, the lower level area sometimes has a far less-than-pleasant aroma.

If I had any choice in the matter, I'd chose the upper level.
Betty;

Amtrak is very ADA oriented. They actually have an ADA officer and an office in Washington. If you ring the right bell, (ask for the ADA office), I promise you'll hear from someone. They lost a humungeous law suit a number of years back, brought on by a disabled passenger, and are still licking their wounds. The ADA Act is the reason you probably see a lot of those rusting wheel chair lifts at outlying stations with no platforms. If anyone has a disability and wants to air a complaint just ask for the ADA office when you reach Customer Relations. Been there and was pleasantly surprised by the efficiency and professionalism. We had a friend with MS in a wheel chair who got dumped (literally) in the rocks at Lafayette, LA off of #1 when it still came out of Florida.(The train line up gave the wrong time of arrival and we found him sitting in his wheel chair by the side of the tracks about a half an hour after the train left.) They had personnel on sight to load him onto #2 when he went home after we contacted the ADA office. I guess the squeaky wheel theory still applies.

Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a temporary knee injury, and find climbing stairs painfull. As a regular Amtrak train user, I knew low level seating was available on some trains. Trying to reserve a comfortable lower level seat on the web shows a massive unexpected fare rise. I would not be able to produce any medical documents to book a "reserved for disabled" seat, but it would be nice to know whether the unannounced low level seat price increase is correct.. funny how these "glitches" don't produce a cheaper seat anytime!Ed B)
Ed,

To the best of my knowledge, one does not need to provide medical documents to reserve a disabled seat. After all, the person on the other end of the phone would have no way of viewing those documents over the phone. And I don't think that I've ever seen a conductor demmand documents from a passenger to prove that they were injured or otherwise disabled. One simply needs to convince the agent on the phone that you have a qualifying problem that would allow you to book said seat or special room.

Now if the conductor finds you dancing in the aisles on the train, then he/she may look at you strangely and perhaps question you/report you so that you can't get such an accomodation in the future. But otherwise, as long as you have a limp or some other indication that you have an injury that requires special accomodations (even temporarily), you shouldn't have any trouble.

There are lowel level seats set aside for handicapped passengers with or without wheelchairs. You just can't book those seats online, you must call Amtrak to reserve such a seat.

There are lower level seats set aside for handicapped passengers with or without wheelchairs. You just can't book those seats on line, you must call Amtrak to reserve such a seat.
But - that still doesn't explain the apparent glitch in the system several of us saw and comment on. I didn't try it for another day, though, so it may have just been a glitch for that day.

The past 3 summers in a row I have traveled from PDX to CUS in a lower level seat, and have always paid the exact same price as an upper level seat....

Maybe people weren't buying them. They work on the bucket system, just like every other pool of seats on Amtrak.

In the UK, we have something called Trading Standards. I honestly don't think businesses would be allowed to continue trading as Amtrak do: A firm price for a lower level seat is quoted for, and selected on the "reserve seats" section of amtrak .com, which is then increased without any notification as you move towards payment. How many folk pay the extra without noticing this sleight of hand? It would be nothing short of illegal in the UK!

Ed B)

From my understanding, starting October 29, 2007... the lower-level seats on Superliners are NOT just for the disabled anymore. I saw some new verb-age in the new timetable that says lower-level seats are open to ANYONE on a first come, first serve basis... you don't need to be elderly or disabled.

So that MIGHT explain the higher price? I mean if the upper seats are at one fare bucket and the lower seats are priced at another now?

But yes, you no longer need to be disabeled to get a lower-level seat.

I mean if I went overnight in coach (I don't - I only travel overnight when I can afford a sleeper) I would probably go for a LL seat first... less people and probably quieter down there.

RTT

From my understanding, starting October 29, 2007... the lower-level seats on Superliners are NOT just for the disabled anymore. I saw some new verb-age in the new timetable that says lower-level seats are open to ANYONE on a first come, first serve basis... you don't need to be elderly or disabled.
So that MIGHT explain the higher price? I mean if the upper seats are at one fare bucket and the lower seats are priced at another now?

But yes, you no longer need to be disabeled to get a lower-level seat.

I mean if I went overnight in coach (I don't - I only travel overnight when I can afford a sleeper) I would probably go for a LL seat first... less people and probably quieter down there.

RTT
The bathrooms are only steps away in the lower level. The only negative is the vestibule is right outside and train crews could wake you up in the middle of the night if they open up to receive/discharge passengers. Then again there are no pax passing through to get to other parts of the train.

Hi,

The booking system is now giving the same price for low level seats as the upper level seats, at least for the december dates

I tried. Nice when things work as they should!

Ed B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back