Ely, NV- Visiting Northern railway

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never been, but unless you have access to a private aircraft, it looks like you need to get to Elko in some fashion (Amtrak or commercial flight) and rent a car there. The drive from Elko is about 2 hours and 45 minutes. There used to be commercial air service into Ely but that ended ten years ago.

Ely is just shy of a four hour drive from either SLC or Las Vegas. Unless you have some other interest in seeing Elko I'd start out at one of those two and drive to Ely. Elko's a perfectly nice town, but it's a lot smaller than Salt Lake or Vegas, with the reduced options for flights and rental cars that come with that. Personally I like SLC better, and that drive takes you through the fairly unique terrain of the Bonneville Salt Flats, or you can add a little bit of time and divert south to see Great Basin National Park.

If you really don't want to drive, you could probably arrange to have these guys pick you up from Elko, but your guess is as good as mine about the price or what days they work: Ely's Just A Ride | Ely NV

Back