Emeryville- SF bus

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve P.

Train Attendant
I know if the train is late arriving into Emeryville, then the bus will usually wait, but what if it is early? Does the bus then leave early, but after the passengers have had time to board the bus?

I know if the train is late arriving into Emeryville, then the bus will usually wait, but what if it is early? Does the bus then leave early, but after the passengers have had time to board the bus?
Our CZ train a couple of weeks ago got into Emeryville around 30 minutes early. Our bus to San Francisco was not there. We had to wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the bus will wait. it is only ther for those getting off the CZ we were 1 hour late getting in and it was waiting when we got off. there were about 3 other busses there ( had to find the right one) but it waited

Yes the bus will wait. it is only ther for those getting off the CZ we were 1 hour late getting in and it was waiting when we got off. there were about 3 other busses there ( had to find the right one) but it waited
Good point about the many Busses that come and go @ this station! The last couple of times I used them to get to SFC there were absolutely No Announcements about Busses arriving/departing and there were Several Busses Loading/Unloading @ the same time! Its best to ask the Driver which Bus is yours before getting in the sometimes Long Line to Load your Luggage/Board!

As has been said, once you're aboard it's an easy trip across the Bay Bridge to the City! :)And the most comfortable Bus trip I EVER had was an AMBus from EMY-SBA to catch the Surfliner for SAN!! :wub:

This does not make sense. I thought the OP was talking about when the CZ is early.

Yes I was talking about when the bus is early, but having another person confirm that they will wait if the train is late is useful information. Thanks.

The bus will definitely wait if the train is late, but it won't necessarily be there if the train is early. Last time we arrived at EMY about 30 minutes early and the bus was not there until a few minutes before the schedeuled arrival time.

Thanks for the info... I was wondering about early bus departure as well.

I was curious about other options and found the Emery-Go-Round Hollis bus stops at EMY and BART MacArthur station weekdays. You could then take BART into San Francisco.

I'd opt to wait for the Ambus if 5 arrives 30 minutes early. On the other hand, I may consider the Emery-Go-Round if 5 were to arrive an hour early as happens on occasion.

I have never found these buses to be a particularly good experience. I agree with Mr. Hudson that there is little information provided in terms of where to go or what bus to board when you get off the train. When I rode a couple of weeks ago the driver was VERY slow collecting tickets and loading luggage. It took almost 45 minutes to load and depart EMY. Also, most of these buses make multiple stops. If you are not getting off at the first stop and you have luggage under the bus, I STRONGLY encourage you to sit on the right side of the bus so you can keep an eye out for your bags at the various stops. The bus stops are nothing more than street corners. I was on one time when the driver stopped and set a bunch of luggage off at the first stop. Unfortunately he set off a wrong bag and by the time we got back it was gone and the poor person had lost their luggage for good. When I rode a couple of weeks ago, I got off at the first stop. The driver just opened all the luggage bays and let everyone get their own bags. I ended up having to crawl completely inside the bay to get my bag. People were grabbing their bags every which way and it seemed like it would have been very easy for a bag to get left accidentally.

I had a particularly bad experience on the EMY / CZ bus to San Fran a few weeks back.

The train arrived on time, and the bus was waiting. Bag loading did take about 30 mins or so. As we were departing, the driver quietly said that we had to drop some people off at Oakland / Jack London. Only the people in the front heard. About 5 mins away from the station, the bus pulled to the shoulder with the driver refusing to provide any explanation. We waited for about 15 minutes, another bus arrived behind us, and we were told to move to the second bus. The drivers sloowly moved all the bags from one bus to the other (about a 45 minute process). Just as we were about to depart, Emeryville police stopped and questioned both bus drivers.

The new driver didn't know where Jack London station was -- and didn't make any announcements about why we changed busses, or where we were going. The passengers had to coach the driver to Jack London -- and the driver was verbally antagonizing the passengers that were San Francisco-bound telling passengers that he was doing them a favor by taking the bus anywhere. The bus was close to a full revolt.

After we crossed the bridge, he polled the passengers to see what station people wanted to go to first. As we got off the bus, he remarked, "you know, I do take tips." I bit my tongue and said, "no thanks."

I understand that operational issues occur, and there are sometimes new drivers. But the complete lack of communication was inexcusable. I really wished that I took the BART instead of this horrible experience.

After a great CZ ride, it left a sour taste in my mouth.

I have also experienced drivers with no knowledge of the area. Luckily nothing as bad as Todd, but one time a road was closed and the driver had no idea what to do. He ended up having to stop to ask for directions. I agree with Todd that the whole process typically leaves a very sour taste after a great train ride.

I have also experienced drivers with no knowledge of the area. Luckily nothing as bad as Todd, but one time a road was closed and the driver had no idea what to do. He ended up having to stop to ask for directions. I agree with Todd that the whole process typically leaves a very sour taste after a great train ride.
I'd say that Todd's driver was a lot worse that your driver.

The next time I go to SF, I'm going to take the ferry over to the city. It leaves from the west end of Jack London Square and goes to the Ferry Buildong in SF. More fun than a bus!

The next time I go to SF, I'm going to take the ferry over to the city. It leaves from the west end of Jack London Square and goes to the Ferry Buildong in SF. More fun than a bus!
How do you get from EMY to Jack London Square?

I was also thinking of booking international flights out of SFO, but I don't know how to go EMY-SFO.

edit: punctuation error

To take the ferry, get off at OAK, not EMY. The ferry terminal is an easy 10 minute walk from the station.
But the CZ does not go to OAK. Why does it not run to OAK anyway?
Amtrak's Oakland yards are located between EMY and OKJ. Amtrak avoids backing the CZ between the yards and OKJ by originating/terminating in EMY instead.

To take the ferry, get off at OAK, not EMY. The ferry terminal is an easy 10 minute walk from the station.
Amtrak's Oakland yards are located between EMY and OKJ. Amtrak avoids backing the CZ between the yards and OKJ by originating/terminating in EMY instead.
Oops! I forgot that little detail. When I go to SF I take Amtrak Capitol Corridor.

I have never found these buses to be a particularly good experience. I agree with Mr. Hudson that there is little information provided in terms of where to go or what bus to board when you get off the train. When I rode a couple of weeks ago the driver was VERY slow collecting tickets and loading luggage. It took almost 45 minutes to load and depart EMY. Also, most of these buses make multiple stops. If you are not getting off at the first stop and you have luggage under the bus, I STRONGLY encourage you to sit on the right side of the bus so you can keep an eye out for your bags at the various stops. The bus stops are nothing more than street corners. I was on one time when the driver stopped and set a bunch of luggage off at the first stop. Unfortunately he set off a wrong bag and by the time we got back it was gone and the poor person had lost their luggage for good. When I rode a couple of weeks ago, I got off at the first stop. The driver just opened all the luggage bays and let everyone get their own bags. I ended up having to crawl completely inside the bay to get my bag. People were grabbing their bags every which way and it seemed like it would have been very easy for a bag to get left accidentally.
Yikes! Maybe I will take Emery-Go-Round / BART after all.

I was also thinking of booking international flights out of SFO, but I don't know how to go EMY-SFO.
Perhaps the easiest way to handle it is by using the Richmond station instead of EMY, and taking advantage of the transfer to BART there.

Another option is using the free Emery-Go-Round bus service, which connects the EMY station with the MacArthur BART station in downtown Oakland.

The third option is taking a connecting Amtrak Thruway bus into San Francisco; the Financial District stop is close to the Embarcadero BART station, and the San Francisco Shopping Center stop is close to the Powell Street BART station.

(I can also think of at least two more options, but they're either more convoluted than the above three, or much more expensive, so I won't mention them.)

What did the original CZ (1949-1970) do when it terminated at OAK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back