Empire Builder and California Zephyr Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not bring duct tape, masking tape, string, rope, shim stock, coolers stocked with provisions, cleaning supplies, tool boxes, spackle, flashlights, soldering irons, ham radio equipment, or any of the other stuff that will appear in these pages as must-bring items. You're not Admiral Byrd wintering over at Little America, you're a first-class passenger on America's top passenger trains -- act like it, and act like you expect Amtrak to act like it. (Which also means, please don't show up in the dining car in your underwear, e.g., t-shirts and short pants.)
I like it!!

I do not bring duct tape, masking tape, string, rope, shim stock, coolers stocked with provisions, cleaning supplies, tool boxes, spackle, flashlights, soldering irons, ham radio equipment, or any of the other stuff that will appear in these pages as must-bring items. You're not Admiral Byrd wintering over at Little America, you're a first-class passenger on America's top passenger trains -- act like it, and act like you expect Amtrak to act like it. (Which also means, please don't show up in the dining car in your underwear, e.g., t-shirts and short pants.)
I like it!!
I wondered why they were giving me those strange looks!!! :D B)

Questions:Metropolitan Lounge? Don't suppose someone who drove you to the train station can wait in the lounge with you till your train boards?
Very unlikely that they'll be allowed into the lounge, especially if you're leaving from Chicago. If you're leaving from Portland, then there might be a slight chance, but I still wouldn't bet on it.

Picking up tickets? Do you recommend picking them up early or do you just pick them up when you get to the station? Reason I ask is it is a 6 hour drive to the station.
Most people just pick them up when they get to the station. Since I'm not sure what station you're leaving from it's hard for me to advise how much extra time to allow to do that. Many stations have Quik-Trak machines, which traditionally have no lines or minimal ones. But if you're leaving from a station without Quik-Trak's, it could take a bit longer. So I'd probably suggest making sure that you're there at least 30 minutes before departure, if not an hour. And if you're checking luggage, then you have to be there 30 minutes prior and should be targeting 45 to 60 minutes, just in case you hit traffic.

Lounge car? Does the lounge car fill up fast? There are 8 of us and we would like to be together at dinner and were wondering about the lounge car.
During the most scenic parts, yes the lounge car fills up. Especially on the Zephyr through the Rockies. It's probably unlikely that all 8 of you will get to sit together in the lounge car. At dinner, it's 4 to a table, so the best you can hope for is one table across the aisle from the other. But you could also end up back to back.

Dining car? How long can you sit at the dining table? Don't like to rush but don't want to causing people to wait to eat either. Is it just dinner that is reserved or is it all meals for first class?
Officially breakfast is first come, first served. Lunch and dinner are supposed to be by reservation only. Some crews don't bother with lunch reservations when ridership is light. You shouldn't be rushed to eat your meal, but lingering after only means that someone else has their reservation pushed back to a later time. Or if you are in the last seatings, then you're preventing the crew from finishing the clean up and going to bed or on break, depending on which meal it is. And since they're on their feet from 5:30 AMish to 11:00 PM, it's probably not a good idea.

If other's are still eating and it's near the end of the meal period, you can politely ask about lingering for a few minutes, but don't be shocked if they say no.

I was reading the post about "what to bring with you" and it was a long list of things like duct tape, flashlight, etc. I guess it is better to be prepared than needing something you don't have but with the luggage restrictions, small space in the sleeper and not wanting to check baggage I am also planing on packing as light as I can. So what are your "bare minimum" suggestions of things needed besides the obvious things you take when traveling????
I pack two bags, one very small one containing just what I will need on the train, and one larger one containing all the other stuff I will need on my trip. The small one goes into my roomette with me, and the large one goes as checked baggage.

What do I pack for use on the train? A few articles of clothing, toiletries, shower shoes for the shower, a book, my iPhone and its charger, and an extension cord for the charger. I do not bring duct tape, masking tape, string, rope, shim stock, coolers stocked with provisions, cleaning supplies, tool boxes, spackle, flashlights, soldering irons, ham radio equipment, or any of the other stuff that will appear in these pages as must-bring items. You're not Admiral Byrd wintering over at Little America, you're a first-class passenger on America's top passenger trains -- act like it, and act like you expect Amtrak to act like it. (Which also means, please don't show up in the dining car in your underwear, e.g., t-shirts and short pants.)
Two comments I couldn't agree with you more:

1> "Your'e a first-class passenger.....act like it, and act like you expect Amtrak to act like it..."

Several years ago, I was waiting to catch the TE w/b from Dallas - LAX and had a sleeper. It arrives during lunch if on time. It was running late and the ETA was getting close to the time lunch would be cut off. I expressed, as did the pax behind me in line at the counter I was counting on eating lunch on the train. They contacted the TE and assured it would be no problem.

When the train finally arrived, after dropping off our stuff in the sleeper, the person behind me in line and I went directly to the diner. The dining crew told us 'sorrrrrrrry' despite what the station agent told us. The person with me at the counter I learned later traveled frequently via AMTRAK on business.

He took the bull by the horns telling the dining car supervisor he paid for a sleeper and asked if they were going to deny him a meal he was entitled to, especially after being assured by the station agent we would get lunch. Reply: 'We have stopped serving."

When he asked to speak with the OBS, we were politely invited to sit down and we got our lunch promptly! Incredbily, after we were seated a very elderly couple in our sleeper car already onboard wandered in about 15 minutes later and were seated without a peep from the crew.

2> "Don't show up in the diner in your underwear."

Didn't happen, but what is amazing, I have got up late a night to make a pit stop and found other sleeper pax coming back from the outhouse attired in their skivvies! Guess they forgot they are not at home.

Before I make a fool of myself on my upcoming train trip: what are skivvies?
Hi Ruud, Skivvies are underwear! -Alice
Thanks Alice, I already expected something like that, but where does the word come from? I can't make a connection to any existing term which would make it easier for me as a foreigner to remember it (relating e.g. to 'mooning' wasn't so difficult :) )

According to the dictionary:

Skiv·vies (sk iv'ez)

A trademark used for underwear. This trademark often occurs in lowercase in print:

Noun 1. Skivvies - men's underwear consisting of cotton T-shirt and shorts

underclothes, underclothing, underwear - undergarment worn next to the skin and under the outer garments

trademark - a formally registered symbol identifying the manufacturer or distributor of a product.

Guess I am in the minority as well but never ceases to amaze me how casual a society we have become.

Thanks Alice, I already expected something like that, but where does the word come from? I can't make a connection to any existing term which would make it easier for me as a foreigner to remember it (relating e.g. to 'mooning' wasn't so difficult :) )
It's actually a brand name.

Which explains everything, thanks!
More than a brand name. While in the navy that was the term used for underwear.

How many passengers would you estimate are on the EB and the California Zephyr at one time on most trips?
That really does depend on whether you just left/are going to arrive at a major terminus.
well which is better the viewliner romlette or the superliner one or are they the same ive never been in a superliner roomlette before

How many passengers would you estimate are on the EB and the California Zephyr at one time on most trips?
That really does depend on whether you just left/are going to arrive at a major terminus.
From Chicago to East Glacier for instance during the day. Just a rough estimate of the top number of passengers there might be.

Last edited by a moderator:
well which is better the viewliner romlette or the superliner one or are they the same ive never been in a superliner roomlette before
I personally prefer the Viewliner roomette, with its extra row of windows, toilet, and the tapered beds.

The Superliner roomette has none of those things.

I personally prefer the Viewliner roomette, with its extra row of windows, toilet, and the tapered beds.

wow can somebody give a picture to show what it looks like even thouh i still perfer the viewliner and amfleet COZY

From Chicago to East Glacier for instance during the day. Just a rough estimate of the top number of passengers there might be.
Well-- IIRC the episode that featured the EB on "Extreme Trains" said 220. Though by the time they arrived at MSP I think they would probably have increased that number... Remember with trains and people getting on and off it is hard to tell. It is not uncommon to sell a consist of the EB twice over I would think, at least in coach. I remember on my trips out there in coach (I was always CHI-PDX, or SEA-CHI, never getting off in the middle) they would seat the people going to the terminus in different sets (usually letting them take the window seat) and using the aisle seat for the short-term pax getting on and off. I had no less than three seat partners during the entire trip, allowing me to stretch my legs when they weren't on board and at least one night where I had both seats to myself.

The EB could easily serve 1000 pax, again I should think, in a good run.

On the EB, each sleeper can accommodate around 40 passengers. There are three sleepers during peak season. Each coach can seat between 68 - 84 depending upon if it has a lower level. Between CHI and MSP during peak season an additional coach is added at the rear of the consist.

The most full that I personally ever witnessed on the EB was 122 passengers in the sleepers and 344 traveling in coach. This was between CHI and MSP. We still can commonly have nearly 300 even without the additional MSP coach.

Last year before Christmas I saw a number of manifests that showed a total of over 1200 boarding the train between CHI and SEA. The holiday seasons generate a lot of short distance tickets.

Last edited by a moderator:

wow can somebody give a picture to show what it looks like even thouh i still perfer the viewliner and amfleet COZY
Try looking at this link (choose roomette)- http://tour.amtraktrains.com/

Got to Glacier on the Empire Builder #7 (Sleeper) this past Thursday. Here was the consist --

Loco

Loco

Baggage

Sleeper

Sleeper

Sleeper

Diner

Coach

Coach

Sightseer

Coach

Sleeper

Sleeper

We ran anywhere from 15-30 minutes late through Havre, but made it all up by the time we hit Essex

Wonderful trip...great food...great folks to visit with...excellent car attendant (Gary).

Doing the CZ fall 2010....can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back