Empire Builder Crew Shift.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TraneMan

Conductor
I've seen here that a crew shift takes at X station.

Are they on the train from CHI to MSP, new crew on board in MSP to Minot??

Reason I am asking I want to tip Sleeper Attendant ahead of time when we board the train in RDW, but I don't want to tip if their shift changes in MSP.

We are going on;

27 Red Wing MN to Whitefish MT.

8 Whitefish MT to Red Wing MN.

Only the engineer and conductor change along the route. Everyone else, including your sleeper attendant, work the entire route from Chicago to Seatle/Portland. You could tip as you board the train and that person will be with you for your entire trip. I prefer to tip as I leave the train, though. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
occasionally there is a trainee that will ride #8 from Seattle to Havre, MT where they wait the a few hours for the westbound #7 back to Seattle. That really won't affect you unless you pick up a sleeper attendant or a dining attendant in Havre.

I try and tip after the trip, but if the SCA is moody or whatever when I board, I'll advance him half and see if he improves any. They usually do.

I've seen here that a crew shift takes at X station.

Are they on the train from CHI to MSP, new crew on board in MSP to Minot??

Reason I am asking I want to tip Sleeper Attendant ahead of time when we board the train in RDW, but I don't want to tip if their shift changes in MSP.

We are going on;

27 Red Wing MN to Whitefish MT.

8 Whitefish MT to Red Wing MN.
On long distance trains, sleeping car attendants stay on the train the entire route. It is conductors and engineers that change out.

I try and tip after the trip, but if the SCA is moody or whatever when I board, I'll advance him half and see if he improves any. They usually do.
I want this trip to be the best for me and my partner since this will be his first LD trip, figured give them a little bit of tip up front and then we'll get their full attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back