Empire Builder/Hooiser State Missed connection

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rhorton

I need to make a fast trip from Minnesota to Indianapolis next week and would like to take Amtrak. But the 1:50 minute connection time between the arrival of the Empire Builder and the departure of the Hoosier State in Chicago makes me very nervous. Does anyone know what happens if you miss this connection - will you be bussed, or would I be stuck in Chicago for a day. I don't have an extra day margin of error on this trip, so I'm rather concerned about this detail. Thanks in advance.

If the connection is guaranteed (meaning you bought your ticket from MSP to IND, and not one reservation from MSP to CHI and a second reservation from CHI to IND), it is Amtrak's responsibility to get you to your destination. They may bus you if the EB is too late, they may hold the Hoosier for a time or they actually may bus you from MSP to CHI. (It actually takes less time to drive than the train takes!)

However, in all my trips (including one about 1 1/2 months ago), there was always plenty of time! So don't worry - enjoy the ride!
smile.gif

Personally, I'm nervous about taking the eastbound Empire Builder in winter. I really wish that there were a train just from the Twin Cities to Chicago, because there are way too many reasons the Empire Builder can be late. In the last 14 days, it's been more than 2 hours late into Chicago 9 times. I know that some of those days passengers from Chicago east were bussed, but if you're going to be riding the bus anyway, you might consider Megabusing it to Chicago and taking the Hoosier State.

The westbound Empire Builder, on the other hand, is a pretty safe bet.

MegaBus has four daily departures from Minneapolis to Chicago. Looks like the highest fare would be $25.

Come to think of it, MegaBus also goes to Indianapolis. Four departures daily. Fare $29.

Just thought I'd interject here some personal experience on a missed "guaranteed" connection. Back in mid October I took a trip from PDX to Pittsburgh. We had some trouble in Montana, BNSF freight broke down in front of us on single track. We lost a couple of hours and things didn't get any better. We got into Chicago about 3 hours late. They did not hold the Capitol Limited for those of us connecting to it, even though we only missed it by about 35 minutes. At first they put those of us going to Pittsburgh on the Lake Shore Limited and we were to get off in Cleveland and be bussed to Pittsburgh. Then right before we departed CHI, the guest services manager got on the train and pulled us off as they were unable to secure transportation from CLE to PGH for us. So we ended up having to spend the night in CHI (AMTRAK put all of us up at the Hyatt McCormick, no complaints here) and gave us cab fare and a meal allowance. And reticketed us for the next days Capitol Limited. I was pleased with the entire experience, but I guess my point is if you miss the connection there is no guarantee that you will not be spending the night in Chicago and leaving on the next day's Hoosier or Cardinal, depending on the day. And in my case I was in no particular hurry to get to PGH so the night in CHI was no big deal and a welcome break from being in coach for a few days......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back