Empire Builder Opinions Needed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ronbo: yep, ORCA Card! Senior Moment! And the Hotels away from downtown and out by SEA-TAC tend to cost half as much as the Downtown places!

I'd say that Boston, Washington, New York, San Francisco, Austin, Portland and Seattle have the most overpriced downtown hotels in the US on non special event days.
Bob, or as Eric308 referred to you, Zimmerman! That had me laughing! Also I kind of like the idea of an OYSTER Card!Anyway, the reason I suggested the Pioneer Square Hotel is because of it's location. It seems that Big Iron wants to have the convenience of being closer to downtown Seattle, rather than say near SEA-TAC. It may be close to twice the cost, but consider the advantages: (1) Short walk from King Street Station...(2) Close proximity to Pioneer Square...(3) Half a block to 1st Avenue and busses to Pike Place Market or Belltown or the Space Needle...(4) Very short walk to Coleman dock for a ride on the ferries to Bainbridge Island or Bremerton...(5) And, even sweeter, 2-3 blocks to 3rd & James to the bus tunnel to catch the Link Light Rail to the airport on his last day in town! It would be be worth it to me for an extra 100 bucks or so.

All this being said, he is considering coming this way in October, so he had better bring an umbrella or some good rain gear, you never know what the weather has in store in the Great Northwest!
Hey Robo...it was actually me and not the guy from Hibbing, MN who mentioned that the Pioneer Square Hotel was $220+ or so. I totally agree with you about paying up for the location. I stay at a really nice, upscale place in downtown Portland....I could save a ton going out of town a bit, but I like being able to walk to all the action and to enjoy the vibrancy.
Yeah, I know it was you. Hey, I was just looking at other hotel choices in downtown Seattle and found a Hotel Monaco. Have you ever stayed there? I know you have mentioned that you like the one in Portland. Just curious.
No, but I've stayed at the Alexis which is also a Kimpton hotel. It was pricier than the Monaco in Portland, but Seattle has much higher hotel rates. The Kimpton chain is top-notch. Kind of funky boutique style....get this...you can get a free goldfish at check-in for company. Not my idea of great company, but it gets steamy down at the evening wine tasting....
Do you have to return the goldfish when you check out, or can you indulge in a little sushi before going to the wine tasting?

And what exactly do you mean by steamy?
1. Now that is a great idea...although in lieu of rice it would be sashimi.

2. You know very well what I mean.

I stayed @ the Monaco in Portland, very nice, and really enjoyed the wine tasting in the evening and the warmth of the fire place in tbe lobby! ( Portland can get chilly @ night!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I stayed @ the Monaco in Portland, very nice, and really enjoyed the wine tasting in the evening and the warmth of the fire place in tbe lobby! ( Portland can get chilly @ night!)
Hey Zimmerman...did the wine tasting get steamy for you as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back