Empire Builder Price Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Train Rider

Service Attendant
Hi all,

Long time observer, first time poster.

I take the EB from CBS to MSP once or twice a year. I took it last March and the price was around $40 one way. I looked at Amsnag and the low bucket appears to now be $76 one way and that car 807 won't be running around the holidays. Since Car 807 isn't always attached, should I monitor closely to see if they add it later or does someone know if they are done running it.

While $160 could be sort of justified for two people as an adventure, $300 for the same thing simply can't.

Thanks

Welcome!
hi.gif

I'd book now, do not print your tickets and monitor the fares. If the price should come down, book the new tickets and then cancel the old tickets! If you did this same thing in March, you could have saved yourselves $36 each way per person. Fares almost always go up, but seldom come down If you have an idea for a trip, always book at that time, but don't print the tickets. It can always be cancelled WITHOUT PENALTY!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!
hi.gif

I'd book now, do not print your tickets and monitor the fares. If the price should come down, book the new tickets and then cancel the old tickets! If you did this same thing in March, you could have saved yourselves $36 each way per person. Fares almost always go up, but seldom come down If you have an idea for a trip, always book at that time, but don't print the tickets. It can always be cancelled WITHOUT PENALTY!

Does anyone know if Car 807/808 will no longer be in service?

I get the three percent hike that is coming for the Hiawatha (still a great value), but a 48 percent price hike on the low bucket on the CHI-MSP stretch of the Builder is a guaranteed way to price people out of that trip. Perhaps Amtrak wants that drop in passenger traffic since they appear to no longer want to deal with the extra car.

Welcome!
hi.gif

I get the three percent hike that is coming for the Hiawatha (still a great value), but a 48 percent price hike on the low bucket on the CHI-MSP stretch of the Builder is a guaranteed way to price people out of that trip. Perhaps Amtrak wants that drop in passenger traffic since they appear to no longer want to deal with the extra car.
I believe it's a seasonal car (only added during the summer months.) Not sure why they wouldn't add it during peak times in the winter (cost to take it out of storage or facilities at MSP don't facilitate adding cars in Minnesota winters), but during the lull of winter it's not needed (not enough demand).

Welcome!
hi.gif

I doubt that they have increased the low bucket by 48%. Since you mentioned "holiday," I assume that you are wanting to travel during a peak time when the lowest buckets are probably already sold or are closed by design.

I doubt that they have increased the low bucket by 48%. Since you mentioned "holiday," I assume that you are wanting to travel during a peak time when the lowest buckets are probably already sold or are closed by design.
To the OP, please keep in mind that nowadays Amtrak does not always start selling tickets at low bucket. For peak times they start off high.

To the OP, please keep in mind that nowadays Amtrak does not always start selling tickets at low bucket. For peak times they start off high.

Thanks for the info. I will keep checking back periodically and see if anything changes.

I have also seen the 807/808 cars used for Turkey day weekend and around Christmas. I also checked Amsnag for March/April 2013 and the price on all trains in a thirty day window is $76. It was $40 last March. Roomettes have also increased from $80 to $120. Did that once with the GF to see if we would like a roomette for a longer journey, which we will do this August. Some wine we brought on board and two steak dinners while traveling along the Mississippi at night made it a nice evening.

807 was showing on some days around Thanksgiving when I was poking around looking at a trip.

Swadian is correct that the low bucket does not appear until ~2 months before travel. As always, coach tickets can be refunded/repriced at anytime. It you don't mind the $300 hit, book it and see what happens.

Actually it's pretty rare, if ever, that Amtrak starts selling tickets at the high bucket. Yes, they'll often put zero, or maybe oly 1 or 2 seats at the lowest bucket, a few more in the next bucket, and then a bunch in the second highest bucket with the rest in the highest bucket. But again, they generally don't dump the entire itinerary in the high bucket at the start of sales.

Actually it's pretty rare, if ever, that Amtrak starts selling tickets at the high bucket. Yes, they'll often put zero, or maybe oly 1 or 2 seats at the lowest bucket, a few more in the next bucket, and then a bunch in the second highest bucket with the rest in the highest bucket. But again, they generally don't dump the entire itinerary in the high bucket at the start of sales.

After considerable poking around on Amsnag well into next year, I am convinced that $76 one way is the new low bucket for the CBS to MSP leg of the EB, which is too bad, because that is outside my price range for that trip. MSP is a very popular destination for the EB so I can see where Amtrak would want to maximize revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back