Empire Builder question (re Wolf Point)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a quick question. I am planning a quick round trip this spring to eastern Montana. Is Wolf Point a safe area and is the station still staffed? According to the latest (??) schedule, Wolf Point is still staffed. Thank you.

E

I'm not from the area, but I don't have any reason to believe it's unsafe, and both trains arrive in broad daylight, also. Staffed stations are usually safe ones, I'd say.

Just looking at an old tread about staffed and unstaffed stations, looks like the Wolf Point station is now unstaffed as of 2016. However on the latest schedule on the amtrak website it shows up as staffed..

Staffed or not, Wolf Point is a safe community. Sure if your trying to find trouble you can, but if your just doing a same day change of trains, you be fine.

Biggest issue for you is actually on-time performance of the trains. What to do with your luggage while your waiting. Then your lunch options

Have you done this type of short turns trips before? On-time performance could make it very interesting and you have to keep track and adjust as needed.

I would use google maps and yelp to determine what restaurants are available around the station. It is possible that there are not any restaurants near the station, and then you need to plan accordingly to meet your needs. Regarding on time performance you need to be aware of three scenarios. Train 7 from Chicago is running late enough that it will get to Wolf Point after 8 is scheduled to arrive Wolf Point. In this case you need to get off at the stop before Wolf Point. The second scenario is that 8 is running several hours late and you have a longer wait than expected. What do you eat and where do you eat under this scenario. The third scenario is the most challenging. You monitor on time performance of late running 7 and the on time performance and predict that 7 will will arrive Wolf Point before 8. You stay on 7 to continue to Wolf Point, something goes wrong, and 8 arrives Wolf Point first, and you miss it. What is your back up plan? Is there a place to stay in Wolf Point? Can you get there? Is there a taxi service?

I believe there must be some bars near the tracks at Wolf Point because one of the problems that BNSF seems to have there is keeping inebriates off the tracks so they are not run over by trains. Most of these unfortunate incidents seem to occur late at night.

The biggest issue would be arrival and departure times... are the trains running late? Looks like the station may be staffed according to arrival and departure scheduling. Can you be flexible with your schedule? There are restaurants and an Albertsons grocery store... but no nearby lodging.

94_full.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 8.15.57 AM.png

Thank you very much for all the replies!! I have done this quick turn around many times before as I enjoy amtrak and watching rail traffic trackside along the high line. I have gone to Staples at least once a year since 2015 and once to Detroit Lakes and done that quick turn around without any problems. There is a lot of priority traffic at that time of night which is fun to watch. One time I had to cancel from the beginning seeing there was a severe (9 hour) delay due to a derailment in western Montana. However with the three times a week service there is no same day turnover in the Minnesota stations. My backup plans in case of trouble on 8 would be getting off and staying in St Paul or St Cloud. There is a nice hotel a few blocks from the station in Staples.

With this trip, there is a 5 hour window between 7 and 8, which I am comfortable with. Glasgow and Wolf Point are the only two at the moment with same day arrival and departures of 7 and 8 respectively and I have always wanted to travel through the remainder of North Dakota (use to live in eastern ND) and eastern Montana. Glasgow is too close for comfort. I have considered a number of scenarios: 1. 7 is very late-- up to 3 to 4 hours late and 8 is running on time-- I would get off in Minot, Williston, or Stanley. I would just have to purchase a new ticket, on board at Williston or Stanley or at the ticket counter at Minot, at higher fare which I am ok with. 2. There is a freight derailment between any of the northern plains stop. Many times, they turn 7 into 8 and 8 into 7 and bus the passengers in between. I will not have any problems then. 3. Weather is predicted to be really bad --trip cancelled all together. 4. I happen to miss 8 if there is not a bus bridge, 7 runs into trouble west of Stanley or any other troubles: There is a hotel with very good reviews within walking distance. There is also a albertsons and a Mcdonalds nearby on the way to the motel. I am planning on going on a Thursday and getting there on Friday. The next 8 that would go through would be Sunday which is not too bad. Two night stay.
I will not be bringing much at all since it will be a quick trip and likely be able to pack into a backpack. I have someone that would monitor the performance of 8 and will give updates along the way.

Well... I will be bringing toiletries and two days worth of clothing just in case. Also, changing clothes some time along the way so I do not stink up the train being a 48 hour trip.. Another change of clothes just in case of a 2 day night stay..

Well... I will be bringing toiletries and two days worth of clothing just in case. Also, changing clothes some time along the way so I do not stink up the train being a 48 hour trip.. Another change of clothes just in case of a 2 day night stay..
I wouldn't worry about stinking up the train. Someone else will probably be able to do that. Let us know how your trip goes.

Here's a view of Wolf Point station from the other direction. Looks like one of the coldest places in town is right in front of the station!

Looks like that's the result of that part of the platform being in the station building's shadow. (It's on the north side, if I've got my directions correct.)

I stayed an overnight in Malta a few years ago. I had a rail pass and it seemed a nice place to spend the night. Motel a block from the station.

Wolf Point was one of the "border" towns when Amtrak was divided into three zones. I recall using 20 000 points for a roomette from El Paso to Fort Lauderdale.

I stayed an overnight in Malta a few years ago. I had a rail pass and it seemed a nice place to spend the night. Motel a block from the station.

Wolf Point was one of the "border" towns when Amtrak was divided into three zones. I recall using 20 000 points for a roomette from El Paso to Fort Lauderdale.
Ahhh. The good ol' days. Zones with points. Many times went from Wolf Point to Houston in a bedroom for 25,000 points. Empire Builder to Portland, Coast Starlight Portland to LA, Sunset Limited LA to Houston. Also Wolf Point to Denver. EB to Portland, CS Portland to Sacramento, and CZ SAC to Denver. 25,000 points in a bedroom.
Amtrak caught on under Anderson and nixed the zones.

Ahhh. The good ol' days. Zones with points. Many times went from Wolf Point to Houston in a bedroom for 25,000 points. Empire Builder to Portland, Coast Starlight Portland to LA, Sunset Limited LA to Houston. Also Wolf Point to Denver. EB to Portland, CS Portland to Sacramento, and CZ SAC to Denver. 25,000 points in a bedroom.
Amtrak caught on under Anderson and nixed the zones.
Yep, we called them " Loophole Trips". Sure Miss them.😣

I was thinking about that as well -- travelling out to Whitefish. I am also very well aware of the 3 day a week schedule. Worst case scenario would be staying in Wolf Point Friday night and Saturday night, which I am ok. Otherwise could buy an extension ticket at current fares to Whitefish after checking with several hotels/motels near the depot if they are full and staying Friday night and Saturday night in case of a miss at Wolf Point. I am ok with that expense too. This trip is all on points anyways. This would be a free spirited "fly by the seat of your pants" sort of trip. However, with some prior planning for all the contigencies.

Back