Empire Builder re-route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtabern

Conductor
I heard from the conductors that I normally do Trails & Rails with that the #8 Empire Builder is being re-routed today along the Mississippi River over BNSF. I guess the CP is doing some track work or something? I really wish I could go because I've never done the BNSF re-route.. but alas, I have to work as it's election day at the TV station.

I've always wanted to ride on the BSNF tracks down that side of the river. I've driven it countless times on WI 35 and it is very beautiful.

Dan

Is this the same route that I was on in September? It went from Minneapolis down along the Mississippi for about 5 hours before it turned east to Chicago. It was a very pretty route, but not sure whose tracks it was on.

I just rode on the EB this Sunday from Staples to MKE. Just missed it by a few days. There are still quite a few fall colors in Minnesota and Wisconsin although the leaves are quickly falling off.

Hmmm.. I have a trip for 2 saved in my trip plans on Amtrak.com. Roomette from PGH to PDX and back on the EB. If I sold the MacBook Air I just won, I could almost pay for the trip.. hmmm :unsure:

Is this the same route that I was on in September? It went from Minneapolis down along the Mississippi for about 5 hours before it turned east to Chicago. It was a very pretty route, but not sure whose tracks it was on.
It would depend on which side of the river you were on after you were south of the Twin Cities. If it is was on your left, then you went down on the CP route. If it was on your right, then you were on the BNSF.

Dan

It would depend on which side of the river you were on after you were south of the Twin Cities. If it is was on your left, then you went down on the CP route. If it was on your right, then you were on the BNSF.

Dan
I believe when we took the North Coast Limited back in the early 60s, the route went along BNSF along the Mississippi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back