Empire Builder stopped

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
More ND trouble....

To: All Impacted Customers

06/02/2011

Preliminary Report: Derailment near Minot, North Dakota

We have a preliminary report that automotive train V-TACLPC1-29 derailed west of Minot, North Dakota at approximately 4:50 a.m. CT on Thursday, June 02, 2011.

BNSF personnel are on site to determine the impact. At the current time we do not have an estimate on the opening of the main track. BNSF will continue to provide you with additional information as it becomes available.

http://domino.bnsf.com/website/updates.nsf/updates-service-industrial/8BE97B97E7366BB5862578A30041E69E?Open

TRAIN DERAILMENT

At 4:50 a.m. a BNSF train derailed west of Minot in the Trestle Valley neighborhood. A dozen of the 38 cars are off the tracks. They were not carrying hazardous material, and there are no injuries. The cargo consisted of new automobiles. The train was coming from Washington state heading to Chicago. BNSF has inspectors on scene but they do not know when the tracks will be clear.

http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/14827077/residents-check-on-houses

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point I'm wondering how they are going to handle the plagues of locusts and frogs that seem likely to be the next disaster to hit the Hi Line.
I hope it's only locusts and frogs! Just think if the firstborn of every passenger on the EB dies!! :blink: :blink: :blink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: That was my first thought too! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I rode the EB recently! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

What a relief it is that I have no kids! :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

I too am keeping a very close eye on the EB. My rescheduled trip mentioned here has my CHI-SPK leg starting the 27th of June, with the (now) GPK-PDX leg starting on the 3rd of July.

All kneeling petitions :help: are being made to those of "higher authority" on a regular basis! :cool:

Good God! We have an Empire Builder trip scheduled in September and all this talk has me concerned already......
mda.gif

Can't find anything new in the news this morning about the flooding or EB future status......we have been busy mapping out our road trip to Seattle and hoping we don't have to use it.

The other routes west on Amtrak are showing as sold out.

Video of BNSF derailment west of Minot. Tracks should be reopening soon. Link works in IE but not Firefox.

http://www.kxnet.com/video.asp?ArticleId=785052&VideoId=45073

I haven't heard anything new from Amtrak save for the statement in several news articles that EB departures are cancelled through Sunday. I imagine BNSF has quite a backlog of freights to clear, and given the risk of derailments on waterlogged track they may be uncomfortable running passenger trains for a few days. Devils Lake is under a wind advisory today, so wave action is probably still a concern as well.

Mark

Video of BNSF derailment west of Minot. Tracks should be reopening soon. Link works in IE but not Firefox.

I haven't heard anything new from Amtrak save for the statement in several news articles that EB departures are cancelled through Sunday. I imagine BNSF has quite a backlog of freights to clear, and given the risk of derailments on waterlogged track they may be uncomfortable running passenger trains for a few days. Devils Lake is under a wind advisory today, so wave action is probably still a concern as well.

Mark
Mark,

What is your prediction as to when the first Amtrak might run from Chicago to Seattle? I am still hoping for it to be running by the 10th. Am I being too hopeful? :unsure:

Thanks!

http://www.kxnet.com...2&VideoId=45073

Mark
Mark,

What is your prediction as to when the first Amtrak might run from Chicago to Seattle? I am still hoping for it to be running by the 10th. Am I being too hopeful? :unsure:

Thanks!
Kaki, you are probably wise to have a contingency plan. Are you connecting to the Builder at Chicago? If so, where does your trip originate and how much flexibility do you have on departure dates?....George

The shut down has been extended thru 6/7/11. A stub-train between CHI and MSP will continue and bus service will be provided between SEA/PDX and SPK.

Mark
Mark,

Thanks!
Kaki, you are probably wise to have a contingency plan. Are you connecting to the Builder at Chicago? If so, where does your trip originate and how much flexibility do you have on departure dates?....George
Our trip starts in Memphis....we have only one day of flexibility....we could leave one day later. Round trip beginning June 9 in Memphis to Seattle. Return trip beginning in Seattle on June 23.

Our backup plans are:

1. Get a refund on the whole train trip and drive round trip (4424 miles)

2. Get a refund on the June 9 trip, rent a vehicle to Seattle and take the train back on June 23. (or, rent a vehicle for the return trip if EB is not up and running by then).

There are 5 of us traveling with roomette/family bedroom. I worked really hard to plan this trip...getting about the lowest rate on all portions of the trip. We will probably end up having to drive since they only have 3 days (7th to 10th) to get the tracks inspected and ready.

Mark
Mark,

Thanks!
Our trip starts in Memphis....we have only one day of flexibility....we could leave one day later. Round trip beginning June 9 in Memphis to Seattle. Return trip beginning in Seattle on June 23.

Our backup plans are:

1. Get a refund on the whole train trip and drive round trip (4424 miles)

2. Get a refund on the June 9 trip, rent a vehicle to Seattle and take the train back on June 23. (or, rent a vehicle for the return trip if EB is not up and running by then).

There are 5 of us traveling with roomette/family bedroom. I worked really hard to plan this trip...getting about the lowest rate on all portions of the trip. We will probably end up having to drive since they only have 3 days (7th to 10th) to get the tracks inspected and ready.
I would think the freight wreck and backlog from that would be cleared in time, but the flooding in two areas is what makes it iffy....I played around with going on the Cal Zephyr/Coast Starlight or the Southwest Chief/Coast Starlight going over, and since there is only one family bedroom per car these often sell out early. What you might consider is, if by say Monday you haven't heard from Amtrak then call, ask for an agent and if the Builder is not going to run out of Chgo on the 10th, ask if you could have alternate transportation in the form of one of these other connections at the same price. You could tell them you are willing to take a bedroom or two roomettes in place of the family room...I think a roomette and a bedroom, or three roomettes total, would handle your bunch. Don't settle for 2 roomettes total...too crowded for five people. If they can't do it, you may need to get a refund of the westbound portion and drive (sigh).

Is it really possible that Amtrak could change us to alternate route at same price? I have played around with the different routes and just the coach seats are more than our trip with rooms.

Gad we came back from Seattle on the Empire Builder last week. I could tell that if there was a lot of rain, the tracks could have problems. Some of the water was very close to the tracks.

Is it really possible that Amtrak could change us to alternate route at same price? I have played around with the different routes and just the coach seats are more than our trip with rooms.
You would be entitled to a refund if the train doesn't run. As far as the alternate route, it is something (if it were me) I would ask the agent, and if they can't do it, I would ask if a customer service rep could help me. I would only do it if they could book it for me at the same price, explaining it will take longer to get there. Now, I don't think you can force them to do it, but it might be worth it to ask.

Mark
Mark,

Thanks!
I won't make a prediction, but I would hope that service will resume next week on or before the 8th as currently scheduled. The Minot flooding should be over by then. Devils Lake will continue to be touch-and-go, with line closures during every major wind event. The original plan was to switch over to the Surrey line when the lake reached this level, but the soft track and busy freight traffic on that route has meant ~4 hour delays when the EB is detoured.

We will see in the coming months if Amtrak chooses to detour or cancel when Devils Lake is impassable, but these current cancellations are setting a dangerous precedent.

Mark

Just spoke to Amtrak, this mornings official update still says the EB is due to be back in service on the 8th. I will call back again tomorrow for their daily update. Online Amtrak June 8 shows EB #7 available and #27 as sold out.

Last edited by a moderator:
If space is available on an alternate route then Amtrak will generally offer that space to passengers effected by cancellations. AFAIK, at no additional charge. It's best to speak with an agent.

Just spoke to Amtrak, this mornings official update still says the EB is due to be back in service on the 8th. I will call back again tomorrow for their daily update. Online Amtrak June 8 shows EB #7 available and #27 as sold out.
Yes the first several days out of Seattle, Portland and Chicago the trains are going to be sold out with re-accommodating passengers from the cancelled days.

FWIW, the stub train was pretty much on time into Saint Paul last night, 3 coaches and a sightseer. I was out and about down by the river and happened to be near the tracks as it passed.

Am half -way through a trip from Seattle- New England-Seattle, and have sleeper reservations on the EB from Chicago on June 11 ( via connection from Ohio that) morning. So far we have not been able to reach Amtrak by phone to discuss situation nor any alternatives, endless waits on hold. Last week we did get a call that the leg from Boston to Toledo had a service change, that we will be bussed from Boston to Albany to catch train. Our question is about what kind of alternate plans we can make via Amtrak, as arranging last-minute flight would be very difficult not to mention very expensive. Since we booked a sleeper, any tips on how best to negotiate with Amtrak? Bus from CHI to SEA is not possible for us for health reasons.

Want to be prepared for worst case scenario.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back