Empire Builder tirp planning questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregoryla

Service Attendant
We would like to go on the Empire Builder -- don't need to get anywhere in particular, just want to enjoy the trip. So a few questions:

1. Which is the better way to go, east or west? Looking at the schedule I would assume east, so as to go thru Glacier during the day.

2. Has anyone gotten off the train for the day at West Glacier or Essex (or ??) and spent a day in the National Park? Are cars available for rental or are tours available? And is there lodging in town?

3. At the western end, we can start in either Portland or Seattle. Is there better scenery from Portland to Spokane or from Seattle to Spokane. Also, for the several dates that I've looked at (late October), the coach fare is cheaper from Portland but the roomette is significantly cheaper from Seattle -- is this typical?

4. At the eastern end, we can leave from either Chicago or MSP. Is there much to see between Chicago and MSP?

I know that some of these questions (particularly east v west) have been addressed before on the Forum, but a fairly diligent search of the archives didn't reveal the prior posts. Thanks for all ideas and thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
We would like to go on the Empire Builder -- don't need to get anywhere in particular, just want to enjoy the trip. So a few questions:

1. Which is the better way to go, east or west? Looking at the schedule I would assume east, so as to go thru Glacier during the day.
It's 6 of 1, a half dozen of the other. Going east from PDX, you get the Columbia River Gorge in the dark, but Glacier Park in the early morning. From SEA, you get Puget Sound at sunset (depending on the time of year) and Glacier Park in the morning. Going west, you get Glacier Park at night, but Puget Sound or the Columbia River Gorge in the morning.

2. Has anyone gotten off the train for the day at West Glacier or Essex (or ??) and spent a day in the National Park? Are cars available for rental or are tours available? And is there lodging in town?
I have not.

3. At the western end, we can start in either Portland or Seattle. Is there better scenery from Portland to Spokane or from Seattle to Spokane. Also, for the several dates that I've looked at (late October), the coach fare is cheaper from Portland but the roomette is significantly cheaper from Seattle -- is this typical?
The trains run combined CHI to SPK with 3 sleeping cars. From SPK to SEA, there are 2 sleeping cars. From SPK to PDX, there is 1 sleeping car. Also, this is the connection to the CS in PDX. Thus there is more demand - meaning higher buckets.

4. At the eastern end, we can leave from either Chicago or MSP. Is there much to see between Chicago and MSP?
The EB travels along the Mississippi River for part of the trip, and is scenic.

We stopped in Glacier ... rode the City of New Orleans/Empire Builder from NOL, stayed at GPK for a week, and then caught the EB to PDX. We stayed at the Glacier Park Lodge -- the lodge and Amtrak station are separated by a medium sized field. There was a shuttle at the station to pick up lodge passengers, but we just had them take our luggage and we walked to the hotel -- we were a "little" stiff having been on the train from NOL. There is a large walking path between the 2 buildings -- and the shuttle will take you back to the station when you leave.

There was a small village nearby ... and another further away. This was about 8 years ago, so I am sure that the small village near the station must certainly have more lodging options now ... the village further away had many lodging choices at that time.

That's true, but there's a lot to be said for coming down the Columbia River gorge in the morning.

You can rent cars in Whitefish or Essex (I think -- call the Isaak Walton Inn to make sure), or if you're there in the summer you can take a free shuttle bus over the Going to the Sun Road from Lake MacDonald Lodge, and they'll pick you up and drop you off at West Glacier. There are also Jammer tours in classic old red buses that you can pick up at a bunch of locations. You really ought to spend at least a couple of days at Glacier (a couple of decades would be even better). I'd recommend a bus or tour rather than driving. The scenery is so spectacular you don't want to have to focus on not driving off the precipice. Two years ago we spent three days at Lake MacDonald Lodge, and other than the poor maid service, it was a wonderful experience.

Answered by The Traveler

Lots of people like mountains, but I think that the run along the Mississippi River between St. Paul and La Crosse is the prettiest part of the Empire Builder's route. If you take the train westbound it will be dark along this part except in the summer, but eastbound it will be daylight year round.

If I had to choose, I think I'd ride the Empire Builder east from Portland to La Crosse, or perhaps to Chicago. I don't, I always debark in St. Paul, but that's because I live here.

Last month, I took the Empire Builder from SEA and got off in WGL. I took a shuttle from the WGL station (I had arranged for it in advance - it was $10) to Lake McDonald Lodge where I would spend one night. I took a Lake McDonald boat tour at 11am and a 3 hour red bus jammer tour at 3pm. The next morning I took the shuttle back to WGL and got on the Empire Builder to Chicago. I made my reservations for shuttle, tours and lodging through Glacier National Park.

Going back to the original post, I think the questioner was asking about conditions in late October. Many of the replies DO NOT APPLY at that time of the year, since much of Glacier Park closes down shortly after Labor Day. However, the Isaac Walton Inn in Essex is open year around, and rental cars are available at that location. I would suggest checking out the Isaac Walton Inn web page, and if a secluded remote retreat does not appeal, I think he should reconsider a stop at Glacier Park during the summer season instead.

Going back to the original post, I think the questioner was asking about conditions in late October. Many of the replies DO NOT APPLY at that time of the year, since much of Glacier Park closes down shortly after Labor Day.
I missed that point, and now reading the OP's post, I see it - and do agree with you!
smile.gif

Ive gotten off at Essex and spent a couple nights at the Isaac Walton Inn. I don't recall there being rental cars being available (I didn't need one so I didn't even look into it) and since Essex is flag stop I there probably isn't. As for Glacier there maybe rentals available and I believe there are tours and lodging is available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive gotten off at Essex and spent a couple nights at the Isaac Walton Inn. I don't recall there being rental cars being available (I didn't need one so I didn't even look into it) and since Essex is flag stop I there probably isn't. As for Glacier there maybe rentals available and I believe there are tours and lodging is available.
The Isaac Walton Inn web page says that rental cars are availailable at the hotel. Two weeks advance notice are requested. Book the car through the hotel front desk. As stated before, all lodging and tours within the park will be closed for the season in October. Otherwise, the closest lodging would be in Whitefish, where rental cars would also be available. Be aware that many of the roads in the park will also be closed for the season in October.

If going westbound start in Chicago. The reasoning is the Mississippi scenery is great and it has a better start time. If you board westbound in MSP, your first 8 hours are going to be in the dark of night.

If going westbound start in Chicago. The reasoning is the Mississippi scenery is great and it has a better start time. If you board westbound in MSP, your first 8 hours are going to be in the dark of night.
It depends on when you travel. Much of the year, the run along the Mississippi River westbound is in the dark. Even in mid-July, for instance, the sun was setting as we reached Lake Pepin.

And you know, once you go that far north in the US the days are quite a bit shorter in the winter, than in the summer. Closer to Equator - less seasonal change in sunrise/sunset. Closer to the North Pole you have long summer days, but very short winter days.

We are taking the EB back East this December - from our Westbound CZ trip - connecting with Coast Starlight. I noticed in December - for Seattle - which is really north, the sunrise was around 7:30 AM and the sunset was about 4:15 or so. Maybe nine good hours of daylight. Thus, we felt Eastbound was our overall best choice for the Empire Builder - and we would go west on CZ on our outbound leg from Virginia.

I know that some of these questions (particularly east v west) have been addressed before on the Forum, but a fairly diligent search of the archives didn't reveal the prior posts. Thanks for all ideas and thoughts.
For me, the Seattle to Everett Puget Sound view is one of the best views on the EB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back