Empire Builder to Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRedEO

Service Attendant
Am hoping go the "long" way to a family reunion next Summer, Cleveland to Guadalupe, CA (Santa Maria), but taking either the LSL or CL to Chicago, EB west, then CS south. Would you recommend I go via Seattle or Portland? I have been all over the Northwest because my Mom's side of the family is all over Oregon and Washington. Been through the Tri-Cities and Columbia Gorge many times. But I've only been over the Snoqualmie Pass to Seattle. I was wondering if I would see scenery I haven't seen before between Spokane and Seattle. Can anyone tell me about the route between the two? And why it would be better to transfer to the CS at SEA vs PDX and vice versa?

Thank you!

:hi: I'd think about riding the Builder to Seattle, and as others have said, spend the night there, two days and two nights on the train is a long time, plus crossing through three time zones can add to your fatigue! If you have time there are plenty of reasonable hotels/hostels etc. there, also very nice and pricey places!

Also you could ride a Cascades Talgo down to Portland, (nice experience)spend the night there, then catch the Starlight down the coast. Depending on when you went and the OTP of the train, you will see some pretty nice scenery through Glacier and the Cascades and down Puget Sound if you take the Seattle section! Nice trip, need to share a bedroom? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
:hi: I'd think about riding the Builder to Seattle, and as others have said, spend the night there, two days and two nights on the train is a long time, plus crossing through three time zones can add to your fatigue! If you have time there are plenty of reasonable hotels/hostels etc. there, also very nice and pricey places!

Also you could ride a Cascades Talgo down to Portland, (nice experience)spend the night there, then catch the Starlight down the coast. Depending on when you went and the OTP of the train, you will see some pretty nice scenery through Glacier and the Cascades and down Puget Sound if you take the Seattle section! Nice trip, need to share a bedroom? :)
Either way is a possibility because I have relatives in both Seattle and Portland. I'll have to think about which way I want to do this!

Am hoping go the "long" way to a family reunion next Summer, Cleveland to Guadalupe, CA (Santa Maria), but taking either the LSL or CL to Chicago, EB west, then CS south. Would you recommend I go via Seattle or Portland? I have been all over the Northwest because my Mom's side of the family is all over Oregon and Washington. Been through the Tri-Cities and Columbia Gorge many times. But I've only been over the Snoqualmie Pass to Seattle. I was wondering if I would see scenery I haven't seen before between Spokane and Seattle. Can anyone tell me about the route between the two? And why it would be better to transfer to the CS at SEA vs PDX and vice versa?

Thank you!
It is tougher to advise someone who has not been to Portland or Seattle, but in your case, you are very familiar with the vistas of the Columbia River gorge. In your case I would suggest that you take the 7 train to Seattle; overnight and then the 11 train south. I disagree with taking the Amtrak Cascades to Portland unless you want a departure later than the 11 leaves Seattle. Given the overnight timing of train 7, there is little to see before Wenatchee, then a scenic trip up and through Stevens Pass before hitting the declining grade on the west side of the pass. My favorite part of the trip and one of the best scenic vistas from a train is Everett to Seattle, WA, with the Puget Sound view. Try to be on the west (right) side of the train.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you!
It is tougher to advise someone who has not been to Portland or Seattle, but in your case, you are very familiar with the vistas of the Columbia River gorge. In your case I would suggest that you take the 27 train to Seattle; overnight and then the 11 train south. I disagree with taking the Amtrak Cascades to Portland unless you want a departure later than the 11 leaves Seattle. Given the overnight timing of train 7, there is little to see before Wenatchee, then a scenic trip up and through Stevens Pass before hitting the declining grade on the west side of the pass. My favorite part of the trip and one of the best scenic vistas from a train is Everett to Seattle, WA, with the Puget Sound view. Try to be on the west (right) side of the train.
Thank you!

Thank you!
It is tougher to advise someone who has not been to Portland or Seattle, but in your case, you are very familiar with the vistas of the Columbia River gorge. In your case I would suggest that you take the 27 train to Seattle; overnight and then the 11 train south. I disagree with taking the Amtrak Cascades to Portland unless you want a departure later than the 11 leaves Seattle. Given the overnight timing of train 7, there is little to see before Wenatchee, then a scenic trip up and through Stevens Pass before hitting the declining grade on the west side of the pass. My favorite part of the trip and one of the best scenic vistas from a train is Everett to Seattle, WA, with the Puget Sound view. Try to be on the west (right) side of the train.
Thank you!
I agree, if you've already done the Columbia Gorge. The ride over Stevens Pass is quite scenic (and better from the train than on US 2). BTW - to go to Seattle, you'd take train 7. 27 is the Portland section.

In your case I would suggest that you take the 27 train to Seattle
I would not take train #27 to SEA!
blink.gif
#27 only goes to PDX, #7 goes to SEA!
mosking.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back